Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2022, 12:31   #91
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Why use bottom paint when you can scrape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacksman View Post
Local diver scraped hull and prop for $50 and did a good job.
On haulout, yard pressure washed the hull clean. Later, the yard rubbed down the old bottom paint and put on new antifouling for $850. That is a lot of scrapes.
Are you under the impression that new anti fouling paint means the boat won't need to be cleaned?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 12:38   #92
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHHerndon View Post
I have not yet found a good anti-fouling solution to keep growth on the prop.
Have you tried Propspeed? Nothing better.
Old 16-04-2022, 12:48   #93

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarter View Post
Find someone working in a shipyard. They get the best paints. Even Interlux has a commercial division, they provide XXX bottom paint, not yacht paint.
Commerical shipyard paints are often for licensed application only.
And, could get you fined if noticed in your local boatyard, that you're applying it.
They may be able to apply it although, if a working yard, and are licensed for such operations.
Their discretion.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 13:23   #94
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Commerical shipyard paints are often for licensed application only.
And, could get you fined if noticed in your local boatyard, that you're applying it.
I 100% doubt that. I have 5-gal of PPG ABC3 paint that the pesticide license says "commercial only" and not for recreational boats. Yet it was sold to be by the regular PPG paint store.
Old 16-04-2022, 14:02   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I 100% doubt that. I have 5-gal of PPG ABC3 paint that the pesticide license says "commercial only" and not for recreational boats. Yet it was sold to me by the regular PPG paint store.
Selling paint does not guarantee the applicator is licensed or legally able to apply said paint.
The product you mention is indeed only approved for Commerical use, and states so on its label.

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem...8-20180709.pdf
Your able to buy it but the seller is not required to ask for your applicators license.
Doubt it if you want, but this IS a regulated product for (application purpose.)
There are good reasons for proper application and disposal of waste associated with its use.

States vary with regard to enforcement of regulations, because they trust most will not violate law, there are the others though, and that's why the Fines are so heavy.
Boatyarddog
Old 23-04-2022, 16:28   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
OK, since you don't seem to be able to grasp what I was saying- The reason you don't find ultrasonic systems in chandleries all over the country is because they do not perform as advertised. They are not a replacement for anti fouling paint. They do not keep fouling growth from colonizing your wetted surfaces. They are snake oil. This technology is decades old yet almost nobody uses it. Is that because it works so well? No, it is not. It is because it doesn't do what its sellers say it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephcrawl View Post
Would it hurt you to say something useful? You spent the time to make this post so why not say something of value.

For you and everyone else that has had enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41BB6C2D-272F-4B45-833A-180AD03E7F65.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	256528  
At Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 16:41   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Peace View Post
So, did I!
Boatyarddog
Old 23-04-2022, 16:42   #98

Boat: Southern cross 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Peace View Post
That is very helpful! Thanks
Josephcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 17:26   #99

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
The reason you don't find ultrasonic systems in chandleries all over the country is because they do not perform as advertised. They are not a replacement for anti fouling paint. They do not keep fouling growth from colonizing your wetted surfaces. They are snake oil. This technology is decades old yet almost nobody uses it. Is that because it works so well? No, it is not. It is because it doesn't do what its sellers say it does.
This seems pretty clear and completely relevant to me. Is there anyone who disagrees based on personal experience.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 17:54   #100
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
This seems pretty clear and completely relevant to me. Is there anyone who disagrees based on personal experience.
I believe it is relevant for us recreational boat owners. It may not be relevant for some other classes of vessels.

A sail boat owning friend of mine contacted a well established Australian ultrasonic systems supplier with the view of going down the ultrasonic system path.

They replied they would not sell their system to him as he would be very disappointed with the result and thus it would be not in their or his best interests to use a ultrasonic system.

They supplied the ultrasonic systems to certain types of workboats in certain Australian areas. The ultrasonic systems for these workboats decreased fouling and extended re-coating in certain water types. The company has been very busy for years suppling the systems based on proven results and recommendations from satisfied users but it isn't one size fits all. They were very clear about that.

I don't have more details.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 18:43   #101

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I believe it is relevant for us recreational boat owners. It may not be relevant for some other classes of vessels.
Ah, let's review. You have heard second hand that a supplier of ultrasonic systems in Australia told someone you know that they (the supplier) would not provide an ultrasonic system for antifouling purposes to a recreational boat owner because they didn't think it would be effective - so you are suggesting that might mean ultrasonic systems have some applications for recreational boaters. Hmm, have I missed something in your explanation?
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 20:24   #102
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Ah, let's review. You have heard second hand that a supplier of ultrasonic systems in Australia told someone you know that they (the supplier) would not provide an ultrasonic system for antifouling purposes to a recreational boat owner because they didn't think it would be effective - so you are suggesting that might mean ultrasonic systems have some applications for recreational boaters. Hmm, have I missed something in your explanation?
Yes, I do believe you have missed the main point.

Let's try again in more simple terms.

From my conversations -

1. Supplier of ultrasonic system said "no good for recreational sailboats, don't buy one for a recreational sailboat, it will end in tears"

2. Same supplier of same ultrasonic system said "works well for some workboats in some waters, we sell heaps to repeat work boat owners when they increase or replace their fleet"

From this I surmise ultrasonic systems have a nuanced place in the marketplace - it ain't black and white.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 01:44   #103

In Florida alligators eat swimmers. When I was scrapping the prop I had my wife keep an eye out for an alligator that lived on the shoreline. If he moved I got out of the water pronto.
sstuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 07:37   #104
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

A sail boat owning friend of mine contacted a well established Australian ultrasonic systems supplier with the view of going down the ultrasonic system path.

They replied they would not sell their system to him as he would be very disappointed with the result and thus it would be not in their or his best interests to use a ultrasonic system.

They supplied the ultrasonic systems to certain types of workboats in certain Australian areas. The ultrasonic systems for these workboats decreased fouling and extended re-coating in certain water types. The company has been very busy for years suppling the systems based on proven results and recommendations from satisfied users but it isn't one size fits all. They were very clear about that.

I don't have more details.

This doesn’t add up. A boat is a boat. Doesn’t matter what its intended purpose is. Ultrasonic doesn’t work merely because it’s been installed on a “workboat.” Either it retards fouling or it doesn’t.
Old 24-04-2022, 10:24   #105

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
This doesn’t add up. A boat is a boat. Doesn’t matter what its intended purpose is. Ultrasonic doesn’t work merely because it’s been installed on a “workboat.” Either it retards fouling or it doesn’t.

Hmm these tires only function on a work truck but your truck is used to drone to the store so nope
I agree there is something odd about the statement from the vendor

Tags
bottom paint, paint