Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 13:14   #1

will a shaffer genoa lead car block work on a Harken rail?

Hi,
I have a Harken genoa lead car system, rail and block, on my sailboat. The adjustment pin/mechanism broke and I need to replace it the slide car. A neighbor has a Shaffer genoa lead car block which seems like it should work, both track and block is 1". I'm not experienced in rigging though, and wonder if anyone knows if this is feasible to mix track and block from different manufacturers?
Thanks.
Gary
gkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:27   #2

Re: will a shaffer genoa lead car block work on a Harken rail?

Track is track unless it has an unusual profile. Check them online and see.

And if it's your neighbor who has it, why not just try it?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 14:06   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

I've had some issues with cars running smoothly. I bought some cars from Garhauer and ended up having to take micrometer measurements. They then machined the cars to fit properly.
As Stu said, borrow one and try it.
Old 14-01-2017, 23:21   #4

Many track profiles are specific designs for each manufacturer to stop the sort of swapping you're talking about. It might slide on but jam under load or even pop off . See if you can find profiles of the two tracks you're talking about. How do you plan to get the car off one track and onto the other? On mine (Viadana) The only way I can take it off is if I slide it onto a little piece of track. If I don't, the delrin balls fall out all over the deck and into the water.
I once owned an International Harvester and every single item on it was unique. I had to buy IH original parts rather the much cheaper generic.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 01:46   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Many track profiles are specific designs for each manufacturer to stop the sort of swapping you're talking about. It might slide on but jam under load or even pop off . See if you can find profiles of the two tracks you're talking about. How do you plan to get the car off one track and onto the other? On mine (Viadana) The only way I can take it off is if I slide it onto a little piece of track. If I don't, the delrin balls fall out all over the deck and into the water.
I once owned an International Harvester and every single item on it was unique. I had to buy IH original parts rather the much cheaper generic.
The OP does not mention it being a ball bearing car, so I don't think that is an issue. In my experience, plain siding cars will work on all the tracks that I have had; there may be car/track combinations where this is not so. The test fit is so simple.. give it a go!

Jim
Old 15-01-2017, 02:03   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Most of Harken's stuff is designed to fit their proprietary track, & to operate using ball bearings. Generally they don't sell a lot of pin stop hardware in terms of volume out the door. But if your track is the 1 1/4" T-track variety, that's about 10mm high when bolted down, then a Shaeffer car may fit. If it's Harken ball bearing track then the odds are slim to none. Click on the link for more info. Though based on your statements as to the car type, mixing & matching brands may work.
Edit: Here's the relevent Schaefer page if it helps https://hardware.schaefermarine.com/...jrn9l8ihj8jm24 You might also look at Ronstan, & Garhauer too.

One other option instead of replacing the car, is to reconfigure it so that it's position gets adjusted via a purchase system. IE; set it up so that your cars are towable. It's a feature that once much sailed with, you'll likely not want to be without it. As it enables you to easily, & infinitely adjust your sheet lead position without having to take the load off of the sheet in order to move the car. Nor do you have to leave the cockpit to do this. It's even better than having a traveler on the main sheet.
Less heeling, more speed. Ability to de-power, or power up the sail, etc., etc.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 06:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gary.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 10:48   #8

Thanks everyone for weighing in on this. As it turns out, the Harken rail/track is proprietary. The Schaefer block will NOT fit on the track. The Harken track has a taper to the profile and the Schaefer block does not. So much for a good bargain. Now to purchase the expensive, Harken blocks!
gkrieger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa, Harken