Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 16:21   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Will Insulating the Cabin Roof Help Keep Me Cool ?

Not exactly Carribean summers in these parts - but we have our moments

I've got 1/2" to play with between the deck and the ceiling panels - worth doing or only marginal? (in addition to getting some more ventilation going and maybe a shade over the boom).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 16:31   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
David, I don't think you can go wrong with insulating the cabin roof. It should make your boat more comfortable in hot or cold weather and help cut down on condensation. It will also make your boat quieter, a big thing with me.

Insulating the hull down to the waterline plus the ceiling is the best but any insulation will help some.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 16:35   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
1/2" isn't much but I believe there are some hi tech materials available that will make a difference. I think you would probably get the most bang for your buck by using an awning(s) to shade the deck - also makes it more comfortable sitting outside.
Old 04-07-2010, 16:55   #4

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
cheaper to paint the deck bright white
I have a steel deck with no insulation or panelling and it stay cool on a blazing day
It also helps to always keep the boat where the temp is perfect
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 19:43   #5

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

I've got 1/2" to play with between the deck and the ceiling panels.... maybe a shade over the boom).
I would start with the shade over the boom. Actually I already have. HUGE diff in instant temp drop. I'm going for my second generation shade now. just picked up some of that reflective-silver one side, black on the other- that they make car covers out of (also umbrellas).

Mine goes from the stern arch to the mast with cutouts to accomodate the shrowds. I position it high enough to walk under it. Love it.

And I also have the insulation job in my sites. Mylar/bubble wrap stuff. EZ.

A shade is not always convienient to have up.

I also echo the -white as possible- topsides approach.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:25   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
DOJ, Mate, you are already Cool.......
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 14:14   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Cheers for the responses

Won't be painting the deck white - sticking with the very pale (duck egg?) blue. At least until I ever hit the tropics - then I'll probably be the fella sitting on the deck with a can of Dulux gloss white

The boom shade idea keeps growing on me - but ,as said, not always convenient to rig. And I made a winter cover already. With only a hammer so should be quite doable. Maybe also add a bit of air draft?

1/2" not much? Mmmmm. never had any complaints before I guess I knew the answer would be to put some insulation up, albeit whether it makes much difference only doing will tell. As I have all the headlinings down anyway will have a wander around to see what "magical" insulation products are on offer..........
Old 05-07-2010, 14:48   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Do let us know what you find as we have 1/2" as well, although our decks are cored so not too bad already. How about those car windcreen silver things?

We now use one of those US biminis for the cockpit. Bit of a gamble from ebay but fits perfectly and really tranforms the cockpit and keeps the pouch in the shade. We also have a large sheet of white plastic stuff left over from a marquee which forms a tent over the boom. Finally a cloth sunbrella for a quick stop gives us freedom to chose.

Pete

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 17:13   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Do let us know what you find as we have 1/2" as well, although our decks are cored so not too bad already. How about those car windcreen silver things?
Deck not cored for me, probably makes a difference. I suspect one of those things where everything makes a small difference. Vive la difference!

That windscreen silver thing has already gone into the ideas bank - but the MK1 will probably be more conventional.
Old 05-07-2010, 17:15   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Put in some Reflectix. It's aluminized mylar bubble stuff.
You can probably put it in using spray adhesive.

Reflectix Inc. | Products

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 17:37   #11
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
Here in sunny Florida, white paint (exterior) will reduce temperatures about 20 degrees in direct sun light. A reflective membrane, such as aluminum foil, stuck to the underside will do about the same.

A vented air gap will get maybe an additional 10 degrees. This would require a convection current, where you'd draw in air at the roof edges and expel at the centerline. This works best if the venting is fully encased.

Some sort of insulation in conjunction would also help, but unfortunately, 1/2" is much volume.

For reflective materials, look at indoor plant grower suppliers. They'll have Mylar faced with a mirror like, reflective coating, which is about as good as it gets. Frankly, tin foil works within a percent or two of the high dollar Mylar stuff and is much cheaper, though considerably more fragile. Use 3M-77 (or super 77) to mount it.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 17:54   #12

Boat: a sailing boat
Worth doing. I can feel clear difference by hand where we have the insu and where we do not. Deck canvas awnings with good wind slot below will make it still cooler. A wet rag placed on shaded and drafty deck will make it below zero down inside. Ok, nearly so ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 17:54   #13

Boat: Westsail 32
High quality 1/2" neoprene from the foam factory will make a huge difference.

Welcome to Foam Factory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1310005.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	17554   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2130004.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	17555  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2130008.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	17556   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2180002.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	17557  

cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 18:14   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I have 1.5" of polystyrene insulation boards from waterline to overhead and it really does not make much difference. What makes the biggest difference, especially in the Tropics, is the awning that is hung at boom level over the whole deck/cabin top. Awnings are the standard here in the Caribbean Tropics. They are multi-purpose - providing a shaded air space above the cabin top for cooling; - Keeping the sun's UV from eating away the top of the boat and anything underneath the awning; - keeping rain off you and the boat on the rainy days; and best of all it is sewn up as a catchment system to catch rain to refill the water tanks.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 18:32   #15

For the type of insulation you need (Foil) 1/2" will make a big difference. You are looking for radial heat loss or barrier. Foil is what works. You can even get some paint on aluminum paint that has hit the market. If I had to do it I would use the foil backed insulation board and just glue it on. Second choice would be the bubble foil insulation. One thing to remember is that any crack left is a source for heat loss. Use foil tape on joints. A thin layer of foil under a slab retains more radiant heat than 2" of polystyrene insulation.

Dan
Skipper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote