Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 13:20   #1

Boat: PaceShip PY26
Winch drum broken teeth

One of my winch drums had a broken tooth for a year and still worked fine, but on my last sail it turned into 3 broken teeth in a row. It’s an old Barlow Australia 22, 2 speed, non self tailing winch.

Been searching the internet and can’t find anything on repairing or replacing just the drum.

Is there any chance of repair? Or finding someone selling just the drum or am I going to have to replace the whole winch?

I’m in Canada but willing to pay for shipping from the states or other countries if I could find just the drum at a reasonable price.
MarkVatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 13:28   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Winch drum broken teeth

If you look online at places like emachineshop.com, they will give you CAD software and custom cut (probably waterjet cutting) a new part to replace the old. I'd replace both winch parts, or order the second as a spare, since multiple parts get a discount.

Any local machine shop that uses CAD/CAM equipment can similarly copy the part for you, the only questions are time and money. And assuming the new part "should" cost less than replacing the winches. The used part consignment places (Sailorman, etc.) might very well have replacement winches for you, all the parts from the boats destroyed in Irma must be on someone's shelves.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 13:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVatcher View Post
One of my winch drums had a broken tooth for a year and still worked fine, but on my last sail it turned into 3 broken teeth in a row. It’s an old Barlow Australia 22, 2 speed, non self tailing winch.

Been searching the internet and can’t find anything on repairing or replacing just the drum.

Is there any chance of repair? Or finding someone selling just the drum or am I going to have to replace the whole winch?

I’m in Canada but willing to pay for shipping from the states or other countries if I could find just the drum at a reasonable price.
Aluminum? Bronze? Stainless?

I have had very poor luck getting old, salt soaked bronze welded.

With Aluminum or Stainless I am guessing a clever machine shop might be able to build up some metal and then cut new teeth... It might even be cheaper than a new winch... maybe...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 13:43   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Try marina yards where salvage is done. Torresen in Muskegon, Michigan had many older winches in “Gordon’s Garage”. Also try Wolfs Marine in Benton Harbor, Michigan. Stone Age Antiques in Miami, Florida has recycled stuff. Call these places or Email. Their web sites never reflect what might be found.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 13:48   #5

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Try boatlocker.com.au they have lots of old winches etc. Barlow were made in Australia hence many old winches here. They are very helpful and will ship worldwide.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 14:26   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

bill-
With three teeth already failed, for whatever reason, would you trust the rest not to fail? I'd suspect strain or metal issues, and that any money spent on repairing that part, might be a risky investment.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:21   #7

Boat: PaceShip PY26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
bill-
With three teeth already failed, for whatever reason, would you trust the rest not to fail? I'd suspect strain or metal issues, and that any money spent on repairing that part, might be a risky investment.
Yeah I am afraid of that. I think possibly the other teeth broke just because 1 tooth was already missing and an hefty tug on the jib sheet with the 1 missing at just the wrong place caused misalignment and resulted in the other teeth getting snapped off.

I’m pretty sure it’s aluminum so I’ll get an estimate from a machine shop that specializes in aluminum. And call some of the recommended places for a salvaged drum.

Thanks and any more suggestions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4C304AB-2DD3-443D-A8D8-218D2D515892.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	176702   Click image for larger version

Name:	CFBAA85B-1CB7-4268-BA00-48519057FC77.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	176703  

MarkVatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:30   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

I repaired a broken tooth on the SS pinion gear on a Whitlock pedestal steering system by building up the missing tooth with SS welding rods then filing it back to the correct profile with a hand file. That was about 20 years and a lot of sea miles ago and the steering still works well. Since it appears to be only the top of the teeth missing on your winch drum it might be a viable solution.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:07   #9

Boat: Alden 44

Try Allen Hutton at:

Australian Yacht winch Pty. Ltd.
4 Narang Place
St Marys N.S.W. 2760, Australia.

Web: http://www.huttonwinches.com
Email: sales@huttonwinches.com
Phone: +61296232448
Fax: +61296232265
Mobile: +61412864484

They supplied parts for my Barient 24-45 self tailing winch manufactured about 1991, as well as an arco 6. Allen specializes in new Barient and Barlow winch parts. Ships to US / Canada.

GregW1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:37   #10

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

This idea of having replacement parts fabricated is almost certainly far more expensive than just finding a used and serviceable winch somewhere. Virtually every major recreational port in the World has one or more chandleries selling used equipment. Winches are among the items almost always salvaged from scrapped boats or during upgrades. Go find a suitable one - or two.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 15:34   #11

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

If there is any adjustment in the tooth engagement, they should be adjusted closer together. You are only getting a small part of the tooth engagement causing a lot of play allowing hard impact when a line on the drum is jerked. this impact is what is breaking the teeth.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 19:57   #12

Looking at the two photos you attached, the whole winch drum gearing is rounded over not just three broken teath. This is caused by the mating worn mesh cog gear that also needs replacement. If you don't replace both together you will be in same situation in short order.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 14:03   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

If either the bearings or shaft or housing are worn it will allow the teeth to "un-mesh" and only engage at their tops thereby causing the damage illustrated in the images.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 19:02   #14

Boat: Nonsuch 36

Wow, those gears and drum look really badly worn. I wonder if the winches were installed right in the first place. The gear driving the drum facing the direction of the load. That is so the load puls the driving gear on to the drum in stead of away from it.
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum, winch