Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2018, 13:46   #1

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41
Winch re-chroming

Wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on getting winches re-chromed. They are Barient 32 winches in perfect working order but have worn chrome on the drums. Looking for a company that specifically has expertise with sailboat winches.
Thanks
VChild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 15:48   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Winch re-chroming

Maybe keep these comments in mind when you do yours

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-156561.html

https://www.google.com.au/search?ei=...71.35arM9jooLc

I note there are quite a few who will re-chrome your winches if you send them for re-chroming.

"Quality marine chrome plating and rechroming of boat parts, fittings and winches. ... Stellar Marine Boat Service & Supplies | St. Petersburg, FL Stellar Marine ...

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 17:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Maybe keep these comments in mind when you do yours

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-156561.html

https://www.google.com.au/search?ei=...71.35arM9jooLc

I note there are quite a few who will re-chrome your winches if you send them for re-chroming.

"Quality marine chrome plating and rechroming of boat parts, fittings and winches. ... Stellar Marine Boat Service & Supplies | St. Petersburg, FL Stellar Marine ...

Clive

Thanks for the input Clive. That thread didn't pop up with the search terms I used. Jim Cate's post is similar to what I've seen on other sites where people have posted about poor results coming from automotive and general chrome shops that don't understand how to do winches. Like chrome peeling off in a couple years due to the heavy use of winch surfaces, unlike car bumpers, and the corrosive marine environment. Also, chrome in places that it shouldn't be like in the gearing.
I know that Ashford Chroming in the UK specializes in sailboat winch re-chroming but with the shipping costs there and back, I was hoping for a company closer to home that specialized in the same (including maintaining or improving the friction portion of the drum before chroming - don't want to have to grind the newly re-chromed surface to prevent the sheet from slipping).
At the bottom of your post you mentioned marine re-chroming, etc. at Stellar Marine Services in St. Petersburg, FL. I went to their website and it looks like they are a small powerboat dealership and not a chrome plating service. Couldn't find chrome plating anywhere on the website. Did I get the company name right?

Another option I'm looking at is sandblasting all of the remaining chrome off the drums all the way down to the bronze. Then polish the bronze to a nice finish (except for the friction part of the drum). It seems like they would look amazing as polished bronze, although they would need constant attention to keep them looking nice. I don't know what quality of bronze I will find underneath the chrome. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this.
Old 16-11-2018, 21:03   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I am interested in this thread because my Hutton 55s were re-chromed before I bought them.

It's a sad story because I bought them cheap from the agent who repossessed about X20 brass winches from a business which couldn't pay for them. To make them salable he re-chromed my two. (Happily, immediately after I bought my two, the advertisement for the sale of the rest was withdrawn so the finances must have been sorted)

QUOTE: I had my 30yo Lewmar 40s hard chromed two years ago and they look fantastic. Nassau Chromium in Mineola, NY did them -- wasn't cheap (about $300 for the pair, IIRC) but they look like new. No flaking/chipping and a deep, wet-look finish. I'm not a chrome/bling guy and probably would go with grey anodized if I were replacing, but these were originally chrome with roughly 50% or more worn off, and re-chroming brought them to like-new condition. FTR, I keep them under covers when we're not sailing.
Some have suggested going to a custom motorcycle shop. Some larger places wait until they have a number of smaller jobs and do them together instead of doing them individually. I had to wait about a month to get them back.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...r-winches.html

QUOTE: Same deal, My 32 year old #68 and #44 lewmars still look good. Actually just sent the 44 drums to Nassau Chrome to be redone. 300 a drum standard price here on Long Island anyway. I'll clean them, put in new springs and pawls, and better then the new stuff.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-181749-3.html

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 06:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I am interested in this thread because my Hutton 55s were re-chromed before I bought them.

It's a sad story because I bought them cheap from the agent who repossessed about X20 brass winches from a business which couldn't pay for them. To make them salable he re-chromed my two. (Happily, immediately after I bought my two, the advertisement for the sale of the rest was withdrawn so the finances must have been sorted)

QUOTE: I had my 30yo Lewmar 40s hard chromed two years ago and they look fantastic. Nassau Chromium in Mineola, NY did them -- wasn't cheap (about $300 for the pair, IIRC) but they look like new. No flaking/chipping and a deep, wet-look finish. I'm not a chrome/bling guy and probably would go with grey anodized if I were replacing, but these were originally chrome with roughly 50% or more worn off, and re-chroming brought them to like-new condition. FTR, I keep them under covers when we're not sailing.
Some have suggested going to a custom motorcycle shop. Some larger places wait until they have a number of smaller jobs and do them together instead of doing them individually. I had to wait about a month to get them back.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...r-winches.html

QUOTE: Same deal, My 32 year old #68 and #44 lewmars still look good. Actually just sent the 44 drums to Nassau Chrome to be redone. 300 a drum standard price here on Long Island anyway. I'll clean them, put in new springs and pawls, and better then the new stuff.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-181749-3.html

Clive

Wow! Sad story with a happy ending. Glad you got yours.
That sailnet link has some really good information.
Thanks

Tags
winch