Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2017, 05:21   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Windlass clutch nut - which way to loosen?

I've posted other windlass questions in the past day, but this is what I really need an answer on.

Which way do I turn our clutch nut to loosen it - clockwise or counterclockwise? It is a 30 year old Lofrans Albatros vertical windlass. The clutch nut is frozen and it would really help to know if this is a right or left hand thread. Our nut has a slot in it for a flat metal bar to fit in. It is not designed for a winch handle like more recent models. I have e-mails in to Lofrans Italy and Imtra, but no answers yet.

Anybody out there who can help?

Thanks!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 05:27   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Windlass clutch nut - which way to loosen?

I am not familiar with your clutch, but personally I would not even ask myself and go for anticlockwise to loosen. Never heard of a left hand thread on windlasses.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 05:59   #3

Here is a link with a photo showing at least one Lofrans clutch nut that you turn clockwise to loosen. This is why I want to confirm before I damage something by attempting to turn the nut the wrong way. Of course, this is not our nut, but it still introduces uncertainty.
Lofrans Clutch Nut, Stainless Steel, #1094 - for Project 1000/1500

Thanks!

Steve
Old 31-08-2017, 07:04   #4

You can maybe post a pic of your windlass. It would help understand the mecanism and rotation of parts.
Old 31-08-2017, 09:00   #5

Boat: Stamas, 320 Express, 34' LOA

Thank you cruisers forum! I joined this forum to educate and learn more about owning and maintains a boat! I owned a Seaswirl 2601 for 7 years with a windlass system. My newer Stamas also has a windlass. Until now, I didn't know what that nut was for! A "Clutch Nut"! Thanks for helping me learn ANOTHER thing I didn't know before! Ahneema!
Ahneema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 09:51   #6

Most windlasses have the possibility to drop the anchor in "free fall". Since the chain is held captive in the drum, the clutch is there to let the drum turn freely around the axis of the windlass. The clutch is only based on pressure between 2 flanges holding the drum. Release the pressure with the nut and the drum can now turn freely. Hope this clarifies things a bit.

P.S. drum=gypsy, not my mother tongue
Old 31-08-2017, 10:08   #7

Boat: Stamas, 320 Express, 34' LOA

Learned another thing!! Thanks sailormed!
Ahneema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 18:00   #8

Are you sure there isn't a set screw at the bottom of that slot biting into the shaft ?
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 21:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Are you sure there isn't a set screw at the bottom of that slot biting into the shaft ?
I'm not sure which slot you mean. However, the Lofrans drawing I have does not show any setscrews anywhere on the unit.

There are certainly no setscrews on the clutch nut, and that is my concern at the moment.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 01-09-2017, 08:46   #10

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

Leftie Loosie
Rightie Tightie

It is very unusal to have any left hand screws or threads or nuts on any equipment. That's why left hand nuts are marked as such.

Loftans windlass Clutches are Right hand ie they loosen counter clockwise.

When was the windlass last used ? Long time?
Or last person exerted excessive lock pressure...

Try a bucket or two of fresh water to dissolve any salt. Repeat in a few hours.

If it were my windlass, even before the water, I'd give the end of the handle a sharp tap with a 4 lb sledge, while maintaining good Left hand pressure. A pc of 2x4 about 4 ft long, used end on, will work as well as the sledge.

Not trying to be smart, when all else fails, refer to first 2 lines of this post...
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 08:32   #11

Steve,
I have same Lofrans Albatros windlass on my boat and indeed you should turn anti- clockwise to loosen it. Also my clutch nut was frozen; this weekend I did try to unwind but did put too much power on the nut; I broke the inner part of the drum. It is beyond repair now. Is there anyone on this forum that has such a drum (Lofrans drum nr 362) available?.

My advise to you would be: put sufficient WD 40 between nut and drum (during a longer period) and in the end if it still would not give in apply heat to the nut. The thread on the axe is most likely not causing your problem; however, if you believe it is than you should drill a small hole through the nut and apply WD 40 to this hole. Otherwise you do not reach out to the thread.
success

Eddy
edventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 05:22   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Eddy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 06:03   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueazimuth View Post
Leftie Loosie
Rightie Tightie

It is very unusal to have any left hand screws or threads or nuts on any equipment. That's why left hand nuts are marked as such.

Unusual in regular fasteners but isn't that unusual in rotating equipment like a windlass. The reason; the rotation under load, depending on the equipment, could tend to loosen a critical fastener if it loosens and and tightens in the normal direction. My Simpson Lawrence the clutch nut is lefty tighty, righty loosie.

Loftans windlass Clutches are Right hand ie they loosen counter clockwise.

When was the windlass last used ? Long time?
Or last person exerted excessive lock pressure...

Try a bucket or two of fresh water to dissolve any salt. Repeat in a few hours.

If it were my windlass, even before the water, I'd give the end of the handle a sharp tap with a 4 lb sledge, while maintaining good Left hand pressure. A pc of 2x4 about 4 ft long, used end on, will work as well as the sledge.

Not trying to be smart, when all else fails, refer to first 2 lines of this post...
In addition to the above try soaking the nut with PB Blaster, Kroil or similar. A little heat from a hand torch could help as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 08:11   #14

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Regarding direction to loosen, best engineering practice would call for the load to tighten the nut, not loosen it. If that would require left hand threads, I think the manufacturer would do so. That's not a big deal.

My Lofrans is RHT, and interestingly, the thread is British Standard straight pipe thread. I was pulling my hair out trying to find the metric thread that I measured it to be. Then I asked.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 19:19   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by edventure View Post
...[snip]...My advise to you would be: put sufficient WD 40 between nut and drum (during a longer period) and in the end if it still would not give in apply heat to the nut.
I had used WD40 on some engine parts and nothing would give. I have since tried, and become a true believer in, AeroKroil. A light tap on the nut after letting the AeroKroil sit for a few minutes might also help.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, wind, windlass