Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 14:55   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Windlass trips Breaker

Hi All,
I have a Nilsson windlass about 7 years old. I have always used it as a free fall drop. This year I decided to install it so that it is up/down and I can operate it from the helm.

My first attempt at wiring was incorrect. I wired the series wound motor to the reversing solenoid so that the positive was on one stud and the negative on the other. It would rise when I pressed either the up or the down switch.

I looked it up and found that I was supposed to wire the negatives together on the solenoid and the positives to the outside posts.

On the motor it was supposed to have the negative on the center post and a cable from the other two studs to each side of the solenoid.

When doing this the windlass will run in the down mode for a little while then blow the circuit breaker.

If I disconnect the down cable it works fine to recover the chain.

The voltage on the down dropped from 14.4 vdc to 8.7 vdc.

The voltage on recover 14.4 vdc to 12.9.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 15:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Windlass trips Breaker

Are you sure its reversible ?
Old 22-07-2020, 15:10   #3

Not 100% sure but the installation instructions and the parts list show it as a reversing motor. I don't that there is a separate motor for reversing and free fall on the parts list.

Interesting thought. I wonder if having the drag was on too tight might have been the reason for increased draw.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 22-07-2020, 15:27   #4

Hmmm, it sounds like it's got some thing wrong for sure. Any DC motor should be reversible, right? But gearing is another thing... Do you have a wiring diagram?

If the clutch was too tight it would break the breaker on up even more readily right?

I would be tempted to attach the "up" wiring to the motor "down" circuit. Leave the other un attached or you could reverse it I suppose.

If that works fine going down wired like that, you have a wiring/electrical issue on the down circuit.
If it doesn't work , something internal is causing too much resistance.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 17:02   #5

At Cheechako,

Great minds think a like. Am just in the process of trying that.

So it seems like it is the cable. Fairly new. But when I hook up the old cable to the down terminal it runs strong. Put the new cable on and it blows a fuse. I put an ohm meter on it and there is continuity but who knows how much ampacity it can carry.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 23-07-2020, 08:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
At Cheechako,

Great minds think a like. Am just in the process of trying that.

So it seems like it is the cable. Fairly new. But when I hook up the old cable to the down terminal it runs strong. Put the new cable on and it blows a fuse. I put an ohm meter on it and there is continuity but who knows how much ampacity it can carry.
Maybe it's the cable end , or possibly cleanliness at the connection? I used to not only crimp but solder those large ends. It does seem weird though, you'd think in the "down" mode it would draw less amps.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass