Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2022, 04:30   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Window sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Unlike Gord cut n paste masterful in depth discounting 10 second evaluation, I’ve used lexel...
If you say so.
But, I saw no mention, by Sashco, of their Lexel, as a STRUCTURAL glazing adhesive/sealant.

Since you seem to be an adhesive expert, perhaps you can help me.
I needed to attach a velvet Elvis paintin,g to a pink flamingo lawn ornament, so I grabbed a bottle of contact cement. The instructions said to apply to both surfaces, and wait until they’re no longer tacky, before putting them together.

That was 6 months ago, and they’re still tacky.

How much longer do I need to wait?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:22   #17

Boat: Norseman 447

The story about a famous marine adhesive/sealant that failed was, if I remember the stories, NOT Dow, but rather a 3M product. After trying lots of different stuff on my five opening deck hatches and 8 non-opening lights, I’ve settled on Dow 795. Since I can’t conveniently get the various fancy UV and scratch-resistant plastic sheets, replacement of lenses is a scheduled job. The 795 has never leaked and outlasts the lenses.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:06   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Plastic demand has been an all time high.
Royal plastics in Toronto has been busy.
Believe it or not a Home Depot catalogues their scratch resistant E style acrylic. It’s special order here at least. Royal plastics have other local commercial outlets. One shop CnC cuts exact pieces for folks. I built a vapour heat box with their sheets and it was very pricy. I image lens thickness would be considerable more. Maybe over $400.00 for a 4x4 sheet. The sheet I used 10m was $120.00
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sealant, wind