Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 12:00   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Winter wood working

I'm moored in Port Townsend in the Pacific NW. My boat needs to have it's woodwork stripped and refinished. I'm wondering if I could do the stripping work now in-between rains, then do the actually re-varnish in the spring when the weather turns nice again.

I had one person at the dock suggest that it would not be a problem for the wood to be bare over the winter. Any thoughts on that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rail1.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	156384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rail2.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	156385  

dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 12:10   #2

Re: Winter wood working

Base on my I experience, you will need to re-sand the wood before finishing in the spring. I personally would leave the wood to that much exposure, but it shouldn't be a huge issue.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 12:14   #3

The wood will more than likely start to grey and require it be re-sanded in the spring.

The wood stands a chance to absorb moisture. This can cause expansion. Not enough to cause deformity, but you might start getting some texture in the grain.

My vote would be to NOT do this. Unfortunately, now you have a 50/50 split of opposing views. now what?
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:13   #4

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Your wood look like teak nonstructural trim.

If schedule-wise it works better for you to strip it now, go for it. Teak is just about the most dimensionally stable wood there is and shouldn't move around too much bare. Your finish is shot anyway.

Also, I see no reason you can't get a couple of thin sealer/build-up coats on between the rains. If it's more than 50 degrees for a few hours and dry for more than six (just making up numbers really, this isn't laboratory science) it'll cure eventually.

If you're going to varnish in cold weather, I'd also recommend Epifanes. In my experience, best varnish to work with in cold weather. Never had a problem with cure. You'll probably need to pre-heat it to help flow.

Advice is worth what you paid for it.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

strip and apply danish oil,tung oil it will protect the wood over the winter and reduce the amount of prep work you need to do in the spring when applying varnish,add white spirit and thin danish oil a bit for best results in lower temperatures.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 21:32   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

I plan to try and cover smaller sections (like the portside cap rail) strip, sika, sand, and get a coat or two of thinned epifanes to seal it up. Then lite sand and more coats when it's nicer weather. IMO that's easier than sanding the grey out in the spring and is manageable in a weekend. Boats in SE Alaska.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote