Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2006, 05:49   #1

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
Wiring inside the mast

We have an older mast without the neat extrusions designed to accomidate a PVC tube channel. The wires are just loose in there and make a terrible noise while at anchor. We had the same problem with our last boat and installed a PVC tube with pop rivets. What a job.

Has anyone heard of using those small tubes designed to insullate plumbing in the cold months outside to just run up the already installed wires.

I spoke to someone at the yard where we are hauled, who was doing a rewiring job on a newer mast, who indicated that it seemed to him that it would work and probably be a major improvement.

I was thinking of trying it by taping the six foot sections together as the were pushed up to the top. I think I have room for two tubes, one to the masthead and a second to the steaming light height.
Old 15-06-2006, 06:26   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Sounds like a neat approach - IF the friction will allow you to push the tubes up far enough. Could be like trying to push a rope....
Old 15-06-2006, 06:32   #3

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
No first hand knowledge, but I've been told others have done that, with good results.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 07:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Bundle the in-mast wires with wire ties (Ty-Wraps), with the tails left long. The tails should be oriented at about 120 degree offsets, so that the long tails contact the inside of the mast at varying positions around it’s diameter.
The Ty-Wrap tails help keep the wiring centred in the mast, with enough flexibility that internal halyards are not adversely affected.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2006, 08:58   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
I like Gord May's solution but it does require take the wire out to do it. Not sure if the pushed on conduit solution will work but I would try it on my own boat. What about taking a fish tape and putting it down the mast to help the conduit up?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast