Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 20:46   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Wood filler or more Epoxy?

I broke my polycarbonate hatch a few weeks ago and so I'm building a replacement using plywood, cedar strips and epoxy.

I bought some bead and cove cedar strips and I glued them down on the plywood base. After sanding the first coat of epoxy, the wood has a bunch of gaps in various areas. I could use wood filler or simply fill the gaps with epoxy resin. Once the base is flush I'm going to cover it with a layer of fiberglass.

Anyone have a preference for using filler or epoxy? My concern is that any wood filler would not look as nice as the cedar. And the color of the cedar varies too much to try to match it with stains or other coloring agents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch-01.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	198470   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch-02.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	198471  

Name:	hatch-03.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	198472   Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch-04.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	198473  

Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 00:29   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Wood filler or more Epoxy?

Don't try to fiberglass (using polyester resin) over epoxy as it won't stick. But on such a small area where it is not subject to stress I suppose it doesn't matter.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 03:20   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Use the sawdust you created from sanding mixed with epoxy to keep a uniform color when filling the holes, maybe.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 05:16   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

You probably should have pushed/pulled the bead and cove strips tighter together. I have built several strip kayaks and canoes, so I have learned by my mistakes. Filler will look like filler. Sawdust and epoxy comes out dark. You might try creating very thin strips and fitting them into the spaces, leave them proud until the final sanding. When you glass over them, you can either do I thin coat of epoxy first, or glass right over the wood. If you decide to stain the cedar before epoxy, you need to use an alcohol based stain. Any other will stop the epoxy bond. Go the CLC Boats, they have a great website, and an amazing amount of tutorials concerning strip construction.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 05:31   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Use the sawdust you created from sanding mixed with epoxy to keep a uniform color when filling the holes, maybe.

This. Standard technique, will give you a strong fill and a good match. You want to use wood dust that's about as fine as flour. Make some with the belt sander if necessary
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 06:03   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
This. Standard technique, will give you a strong fill and a good match. You want to use wood dust that's about as fine as flour. Make some with the belt sander if necessary
The wood flour darkens considerably when mixed with epoxy. I've had pretty good results using a light colored wood like pine or spruce to end up matching a darker color like cedar or mahogany.
And to make the flour I clean out my little Shop Vac and connect it to my belt sander. Almost all the dust gets captured. 80 grit belts make a nice fine powder.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 07:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Don't try to fiberglass (using polyester resin) over epoxy as it won't stick. But on such a small area where it is not subject to stress I suppose it doesn't matter.
I didn't say I was using polyester resin. I'm using West System epoxy. The question is about the gaps in the cedar strips.
Old 23-08-2019, 07:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
You probably should have pushed/pulled the bead and cove strips tighter together. I have built several strip kayaks and canoes, so I have learned by my mistakes. Filler will look like filler. Sawdust and epoxy comes out dark. You might try creating very thin strips and fitting them into the spaces, leave them proud until the final sanding...

Go the CLC Boats, they have a great website, and an amazing amount of tutorials concerning strip construction.
I could not do that because the two ends are oak strips glued down in advance. In this case my mistake is that I cut the cedar strips a 1/16th of inch too short. It was really hard to rout the beads on the tiny cedar strips. I had a lot of gouge outs. The same goes with the coves. I need a better router table. Any little movement or vibration when you are routing and the delicate edges of the cove are ruined. My table is old and relatively cheap.

I think I'll use some sawdust just to fill in the gaps.

FYI, I bought my cedar strips from CLC. Excellent site.
Old 23-08-2019, 10:08   #9

You could route out a channel through the gaps and then epoxy in a strip of the same timber of the frame
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 11:33   #10

OK, I mixed some sawdust with epoxy and filled the gaps and then gave the whole thing another coat of epoxy. Threw some peel ply over the whole thing to keep the dust and bugs off it.

Once this sets up I'll cover the whole thing with a layer of fiberglass
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hatch-10.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	198531  

Tags
epoxy