Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 19:32   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Wood Freeman autopilot servicing

Hi all,

I have a Woodfreeman autopilot on the boat and as I have some time on my hands I'm now going to attempt to service it. I have the factory issued instruction manual, but it includes no servicing info, apart from the phrase 'servicing should be undertaken by a trained technician'. As Im neither trained or a technician I thought I would put a shout out to you guys for some help....

First up, and a shot in the dark, does anyone have a full service manual for a Wood Freeman 500 B? Ive searched the interweb and can only find the manual that I currently have. And as the company stopped trading a number of years ago I can't call them.

As backround I will keep it as its bullet proof and quite frankly just a cool piece of kit, although its alarmingly noisy (a service may mitigate this) and power hungry. I also have a hydrovane on the boat and plan to instal a tiller pilot on it, so Woody will essentially become a back up AP
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 00:50   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Wood Freeman autopilot servicing

I'm afraid I'm not much help.

I did find a crowd in the USA which does a service on Wood Freeman AP

I did come across this page (I suppose you have too?). Maybe it would be worth a phone call?

In the Publications section we will be posting a list of inventory left on hand and wiring connection for 500 series cables,in a week or so, until then please call 253 606 0043 for availability.

http://woodfreeman.com/index2.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 00:15   #3

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Re: Wood Freeman autopilot servicing

Thanks, I didnt find that number, but have now spoken to Micheal Freeman who was very friendly and helpful and talked me through the servicing over the phone, Ive no doubt I will call him again when I get stuck!

In case this ever comes up in the future, Presly Motors of Bay City Texas bought all Micheals old stock when he closed down the business, Ill be giving them a call in the morning to see if I can get a workshop manual off them and some spare parts.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot