Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2012, 21:19   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Re: Wood Hull Repair Toredo Worm

Then you have a bunch of epoxy filled worm holes that do not expand or contract like the surrounding wood nor do they move. Also, all you're doing is setting up stress points within the planking. Please don't invite me aboard your boats out of sight of land, regardless of how nice a guy ya are.... Hell, I won't even let my guys set bungs of different species in planking because they move at different rates. The very last thing I want in a wood boat we've worked on is dozens, even hundreds of unnatural stress points just waiting to split a plank.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 05:41   #107
cruiser

That would be fine if one has unlimited time and money-however EPOXY is a godsend for keeping old wood boats going, Perhaps you have a lot of internal stress points starting to crack.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 06:32   #108

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
Hello from George who has been keeping wood boats going in tropic waters for 40 years. Heres what to do. First get a propane torch and go over all worm holes to kill any devils still in there but dont scorch the wood . Next get some wood preservitive from a building store -the green stuff copper based-paint it on all worm damaged ares -next get some liquid WEST type epoxy and work it into the holes and surronding areas----this will act also as a primer for next step---which is to get 1:1 mix epoxy glue-load it into a caulk gun and squirt it into all worm holes -then screed smooth on outside. Noe paint wit usual antifouling but use a primer first as antifoul doesnt like to stick to epoxy. The epoxy will act like reinforcing rivets and boat will actually be stronger than ever..... DO IT!
oh great , one step sideways and 2 steps backward
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 07:10   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38 Camper Nicholson

Hi all,

The OP has his boat at our yard. Just so everyone knows, we can get mahogany all day long suitable for this job from a local wood supplier. Seems to run $7-$9 per board foot, depending on the species. We have a carpenter on call who built many of the shrimp boats one of the previous posters mentioned. Our guy has literally a lifetime of experience building wooden boats. Peter, we have your back. None of this is rocket science. Enjoy your time in Italy. When you get back, we can hook you up with whatever you need. (and by the way, all the parts and equipment you are having shipped here are safe and sound, stored up in our loft.)

--Chris Bubin
Anchors Away Boatyard
Anchors Away Boat Yard Hampstead NC Service Center, Boat Repair, Haul Out, Boat Storage, Outboard Repair Trailer Storage, Paint and Fiberglass Repair.
Anchors Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 07:18   #110
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchors Away View Post
The OP has his boat at our yard...Peter, we have your back...
Reminds me of the scene in the cartoon Mighty Mouse when he flys in to where the trouble is and sings..."Here I come to Save the Day!!!"

Nice one Anchors Away!

I love this forum...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 07:38   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Quote:
Hi all,

The OP has his boat at our yard. Just so everyone knows, we can get mahogany all day long suitable for this job from a local wood supplier. Seems to run $7-$9 per board foot, depending on the species. We have a carpenter on call who built many of the shrimp boats one of the previous posters mentioned. Our guy has literally a lifetime of experience building wooden boats. Peter, we have your back. None of this is rocket science. Enjoy your time in Italy. When you get back, we can hook you up with whatever you need. (and by the way, all the parts and equipment you are having shipped here are safe and sound, stored up in our loft.)

--Chris Bubin
Anchors Away Boatyard
Anchors Away Boat Yard Hampstead NC Service Center, Boat Repair, Haul Out, Boat Storage, Outboard Repair Trailer Storage, Paint and Fiberglass Repair.
There ya go....
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 09:05   #112
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Hi all,

--Chris Bubin
Anchors Away Boatyard

What's your opinion on the op's intended method of repair?
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 09:28   #113

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
What's your opinion on the op's intended method of repair?
Confusius say "man who stand in middle of road, get run down by traffic from both directions".

Old 23-08-2012, 09:33   #114
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38 Camper Nicholson

I haven't heard him say exactly what his intended method of repair would be, or even a definitive damage assessment. In reading his posts, it sounds like he's still in the information gathering/idea-chasing-down stage. So far all I know of his intended method of repair is that he seems interested in exploring all the options before he does anything, which seems like a sound approach.

With all that said, I will add that I think you have given very sound advice. I always read your posts, and often learn things. If you are ever in NC, please stop by the yard. We have a hot-vac like yours, and we do some topcoat work that we are generally very proud of.

--Chris.
Anchors Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 09:44   #115
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
I haven't heard him say exactly what his intended method of repair would be, or even a definitive damage assessment. In reading his posts, it sounds like he's still in the information gathering/idea-chasing-down stage. So far all I know of his intended method of repair is that he seems interested in exploring all the options before he does anything, which seems like a sound approach.

With all that said, I will add that I think you have given very sound advice. I always read your posts, and often learn things. If you are ever in NC, please stop by the yard. We have a hot-vac like yours, and we do some topcoat work that we are generally very proud of.

--Chris.
A very proffesional attitude. Sounds like he's in good hands. Exploring all the options is great, and I don't blame him for not wanting to listen, since he doesn't know a bunch of people on the internet from Adam. Just seemed like he was in a big rush to get confirmation that epoxying the wormholes is the way to go.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 10:00   #116

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
A very proffesional attitude. Sounds like he's in good hands. Exploring all the options is great, and I don't blame him for not wanting to listen, since he doesn't know a bunch of people on the internet from Adam. Just seemed like he was in a big rush to get confirmation that epoxying the wormholes is the way to go.
x 2 Minaret. Relieved to see that responce.
Old 23-08-2012, 14:09   #117

Boat: s&s, motorsailor, 55 feet

Isn t it a small world out there.
Cannot believe you reading this post.
Good to hear from you Chris and anchors away.
I think I will be back beginning oct. My only real fear is the cold winter in NC.
Got spoiled in the san blas.
But I am looking forward to be back and applying the theory to real action.

see you guys soon
peter
awab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 13:54   #118
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch

I understand this is an old thread, but does anyone know how this adventure turned out?

I really enjoy reading these types of threads, but it is just a little annoying when you don't get to hear what eventually happened. I looked up the OP's website and he apparently charters this vessel he was preparing to repair. Maybe he could chime back in and let us know what method he eventually chose. Pulling the plank seemed the only logical conclusion to me.

I also own a wooden boat (strip plank) and would be interested in the outcome.

Thanks.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull