Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2014, 19:16   #31

Re: Wood Type for Interior Hull

Cypress---many varieties to choose from.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 18:41   #32

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Years ago I installed Ash on my 26' southcoast interior. I had a furniture manufacturer mill 2 inch wide 1/4 inch thick strips.

It turned out terrific

Paul
+1 for ash. My Menger catboat has ash staving and trim in the cabin and it looks great. I'm thinking about adding ceilings as well to cover some of the glaring white fiberglass liner.

A light-colored wood like ash makes a boat interior seem bigger.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 19:46   #33

Ash is very nice but it is a favorite of termites and also low rot resistance
Old 03-06-2014, 09:39   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojanica View Post
Ash is very nice but it is a favorite of termites and also low rot resistance
If you have termites and water inside your boat cabin, then you have bigger problems than your wood choice.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:58   #35
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukeluthier View Post
If you have termites and water inside your boat cabin, then you have bigger problems than your wood choice.
Actually, if you have termites in your boat it could very well have been exactly your choice of wood.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:32   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Actually, if you have termites in your boat it could very well have been exactly your choice of wood.
Lifelong woodworker and professional musical instrument builder here.

If YOU put the wood in your boat and it is infested, then you can blame yourself, not the wood species. Ingress holes are obvious.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukeluthier View Post
Don't shoot the messenger. Ash is a favored wood of furniture makers for home furniture.

Let me tell a story you be the judge.

A friend asked me to help with some refitting. Nice well found vessel with ash and teak. Upon digging into some of the interior it was found a journal which extended to the companionway. It was easy to trace the portal of entry: A tiny corner of the companionway a termite made entry and tunneled through every square inch of the ash. Didn't touch the teak. Quite the learning experience. Termites will destroy a boat. They love ash. Not so much cedar, cypress, or teak. They like mahogany too.

They do not always announce their presence and can be treated but after seeing the results of a "stealth infestation" I'll stick to less rotty, more insect proof species.

Everyone is free to proceed as they wish.

Good luck and I didn't intend to malign those with ash interior but the question was asked and I replied truthfully based on my experience.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:36   #38

Small boat - small budget . Beer Budget .
I second cypress , rip it maybe three inches wide , plane it about the thickness of a yard stick . When in a yard buying cypress ask for fence pickets , they will be half price , any thing in a cypress yard less than 8 feet is called a fence picket . I get the yard to re-saw the one inch so I get a pair of half inch pieces . They charge ya for both pieces , but in most boats you will not want lumber one inch thick . Of course I have two planers and a fully equip. wood shop .
Also what looks purty good if done right is " door skin ". Fast and cheap , a beer budget !It comes in luan which can look like mahogany in a dim light !
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 16:27   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojanica View Post
Don't shoot the messenger. Ash is a favored wood of furniture makers for home furniture.

Let me tell a story you be the judge.

A friend asked me to help with some refitting. Nice well found vessel with ash and teak. Upon digging into some of the interior it was found a journal which extended to the companionway. It was easy to trace the portal of entry: A tiny corner of the companionway a termite made entry and tunneled through every square inch of the ash. Didn't touch the teak. Quite the learning experience. Termites will destroy a boat. They love ash. Not so much cedar, cypress, or teak. They like mahogany too.

They do not always announce their presence and can be treated but after seeing the results of a "stealth infestation" I'll stick to less rotty, more insect proof species.

Everyone is free to proceed as they wish.

Good luck and I didn't intend to malign those with ash interior but the question was asked and I replied truthfully based on my experience.
Not intending to shoot the messenger at all... just curious as to where the infested boat was kept. In the Northeastern US a lot of boats use ash in the interior, and I've never heard of one with a problem.

I can see where a sloppy boatyard might use some wood that shows signs of infestation, but no self-respecting owner would.

Hmm... a single termite isn't going to destroy a boat, but a colony certainly could. Thought they were like ants and required a queen in residence to reproduce.

Tags
hull, interior