Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 12:22   #1

Boat: Bristol 32
Wood Work Advice

Being new to boat ownership, I was wondering if someone could look at the photos of my newly purchased SC 22 Three Amigos I posted on the monohulls gallerie in the photos tab and give me advice about dealing with the wood. Any other advice you can give is also appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2010, 13:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I am not sure I see wood or a problem with the first photo of the rudder. It looks like an old and poor "body putty" patch in a later photo that would best be ground out and fiberglassed. I am not sure of the location or function of the first split teak trim photo, but that looks ragged enough to replace. If you tolerate the look, some of this trim can be done with plastic composites and such. As for the compaionway slide and the cracked teak gulide. I would suggest that the slide and the trim guide be placed on top of a polycarbonate strip that is adhered to the deck. This polycarbonate will provide a smooth and quiet slide. A piece of rubber bumper inside at the slide impact point at full open position can be a good addition too. You could cut a new piece of wood, but my choice with this same problem was to use Starboard plastic as in the photo below.

The black guide to the companionway and the handrail is Starboard. This can work with pieces that are not exposed to great flex. The Starboard will crack before much bending. Also, it won't work for those that want to keep a traditional look.
Old 10-10-2010, 15:25   #3

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
That cracked hatch guide can be repaired easily enough for a couple years more use. Teak being hella expensive, I'd go with a repair instead of having a new one made up. Unmount the teak strip, and clean it well. Remove all dirt and debris, then clamp it in a vise. Using masking tape, pull the splinter down until its snug in its original position and then drill 1/16 diameter holes every couple of inches. Take the tape off, slather the split with epoxy, and then drive finishing nails into the holes and set them with a pin set. Clean off the excess and let it harden. Sand, and then refinish. The pin holes should be filled with either epoxy or epoxy with teak dust in it.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 16:25   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

for the interior (is that wood or formica?) on the bulkheads etc?

either way I have only 1 word.............

paint

white paint.

the magic of paint is it covers sins. and with the right style of boat (ie not a 2010 Beneteau etc) a bulkhead etc that looks like painted wood (rather than gelcoat moulding smooth) is IMO perfectly in keeping. and cheap (household exterior grade paint is my compromise on costs / durability to save on Marine paints ) - and easy to do (preparation is always the key -but that is mainly just labour).

from my quick looksee I would say a) accept you ain't gonna end up with a factory fresh finish (but solid and functional is well acheivable) and b) don't get sucked into an overspend on her.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 14:10   #5

Boat: Bristol 32
Thanks for all the advice. The bulkheads are fiberglass on the back and wood paneling on the front surface. Looks like something that was added from a lumber yard or a Menards, etc. I don't particularly like it, but I don't feel like ripping it all out. The original south coast boats were more open down below. The interior looks as if it has been modified from the original specs. I do know that these boats were sometimes sold as kit boats.

CaptForce- The photos of the trim you see are part of the companionway slide.

I am very enthusiastic about working on this boat. I think it will be fun. The cockpit has been set up to be single handed.

It isn't the fanciest boat or even the best boat in town, but it is mine and I will have fun learning to sail in it. Besides I bought it to sail not to win a beauty contest. I will make it look as nice as I am able though.
Old 11-10-2010, 14:28   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterchurn View Post
It isn't the fanciest boat or even the best boat in town, but it is mine and I will have fun learning to sail in it.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 17:04   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterchurn View Post
.......................It isn't the fanciest boat or even the best boat in town, but it is mine and I will have fun learning to sail in it. Besides I bought it to sail not to win a beauty contest. I will make it look as nice as I am able though.
Your attitude excels. Function rules,- the "beauty contest" is fluff!