Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 21:58   #16

Boat: 75' 1932 UW Research Vessel
Re: Wooden Hull Maintenance

I have always owned wood boats, they were all we could ever afford. Our current boat is 75' and displaces 102 tons. She was built in 1932.

Entropy is alive and well in all boats, and perhaps more in our wooden boat than in a fiberglass boat the same age. Ooooops! Of course, there are no fiberglass boats that old. I wonder what shape your Bayliner will be when it hits it's 80's?

I think that there are more things to take into consideration when looking to buy a wooden boat. Salt water is a wooden boats friend, fresh water is the enemy. Deck leaks will kill a wood boat well before a drip from a stuffing box. I would rather buy a wood boat with a well maintained solid wood deck than a curled up teak over glass over plywood with mushrooms growing on the underside.

It is most certain that long term you will spend more maintaining your wood boat than you would an equivilant plastic one. But that can be offset by a much lower initial cost. Remember, the hull is just one part of many that need taking care of on any boat.

I like wood. If I have a bad part, I can remove it and replace it with a new hunk of wood.

I think that much of the anti-woodboat opinions you'll read here are from folks with no experience in owning and maintaining a woodboat. However, be very careful to survey and seek advice from experienced woodboat surveyors and owners before you pull the trigger.

BTW, we also run the original 1932 Washington Diesel. We cover about 6000 miles each year, so we're not a yacht club cruise rig, we earn our living.
Pacificcatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 02:41   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificcatalyst View Post
Entropy is alive and well in all boats, and perhaps more in our wooden boat than in a fiberglass boat the same age. Ooooops! Of course, there are no fiberglass boats that old. I wonder what shape your Bayliner will be when it hits it's 80's?
Mine has just turned 42, and come spring should be good for another 42 - and by then she will be someone else's project .

Quote:
Salt water is a wooden boats friend, fresh water is the enemy. Deck leaks will kill a wood boat well before a drip from a stuffing box.......

...............However, be very careful to survey and seek advice from experienced woodboat surveyors and owners before you pull the trigger.
+1 (million!).

My experiance being mainly secondhand - from a Father who owned wooden boats since I was a kid. Was always fighting a battle in the bilges......against dust!

In his dotage he went for Plastic .

Me has always bought plastic - I grew up with a father who owned wooden boats..........

.....but I still love the look and character of wooden boats .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 03:57   #18

Boat: Skookum 53'

The only boats I haven't owned or operated and worked on is cement. Each have their own strong / weak points. I love wooden boats, but they won't stand the neglect that I have to give them due to my work. Aluminum is a nightmare for galvanic corrosion, steel takes as much up keep if not more than wood, once they hit a certain age. Owning a wooden boat is a commitment not unlike marriage, and it can be very rewarding as well as vexing.
Old 16-02-2012, 16:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
The Vikings just burned them and built another....less work I guess. (legal disclaimer I am in no way inferring you should burn your
boat, it was a joke)
Yes we did. We waited until someone died and put them in to the longboat before we sat fire to it. Save a lot of money in flower shops, and it is a pretty awesome way to send someone to Valhalla.
lostviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 23:03   #20

Boat: Careel 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificcatalyst View Post
I have always owned wood boats, they were all we could ever afford. Our current boat is 75' and displaces 102 tons. She was built in 1932.

BTW, we also run the original 1932 Washington Diesel. We cover about 6000 miles each year, so we're not a yacht club cruise rig, we earn our living.
Do you mind if I PM you? I'm seeking a bit of advice on timber trawler and you look to have experence with timber boats...One of the retired Timber Trawlers I'm looking at is in Seattle WA.

Bill
Australia
Old 23-12-2012, 19:14   #21

Boat: Catalina

Are all timber boats in the same category ?

I have always owned fibreglass but am considering a fairly modern timber hulled motor-sailer. (Used 1993 HUON YACHTS MOTOR SAILER Boat For Sale - boatsales.com.au)

I dont know much about the various construction methods used, but it seems the more modern timber hulls are "sealed" up with what looks to be an epoxy coating or similar. Does this protect the timber ? Does this minimise maintenance ?

I really like this boat, but the timber hull scares me a little !
TopperHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 19:25   #22

Boat: Mac 26X
I like to bulls my own boats, so for me wood it's it. I've owned plastic too, but for a carpenter, wood is actually easier to maintain. I really think it's a case of what you know and what you like.

I would def agree if you're gonna neglect it, or if its been neglected, you're way better off with fiberglass

Tags
hull, maintenance