Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 16:57   #1

wooden washers for through hull seal

I have a Gemini 105MC. Im getting ready to replace the centerboard pivot pins. The center boards pivot on these pins which are under the waterline. The existing pins (standard shanked bolts really) have a wooden washer on both dry sides. Both sides are also gooped up with 5200. I think the idea is that if it tries to seep the wooden washer will swell and keep it sealed. I'm thinking there has to be a better way to do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
gRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 23:41   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: wooden washers for through hull seal

Sorry I can't help you really but apparently you are not Robinson Crusoe.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/re...ub-gemini-gems

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ems-25315.html

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Gemini_Cats/info

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 00:28   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

gRider I have a swing keel yacht with the pivot pin well below the waterline. I borrowed an idea of a trailer sailer that I surveyed and actually covered the pivot pin area with fiberglass. It was fairly easy as all I did was get some stiff epoxy filler then mould it over the pivot pin end and then cover with two layers of 6oz glass on to the keel case. I envision when I finally inspect the pin, a chisel and hammer will easily remove the epoxy filler. 100% water tight which was the effect I was trying to achieve.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 13:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
gRider I have a swing keel yacht with the pivot pin well below the waterline. I borrowed an idea of a trailer sailer that I surveyed and actually covered the pivot pin area with fiberglass. It was fairly easy as all I did was get some stiff epoxy filler then mould it over the pivot pin end and then cover with two layers of 6oz glass on to the keel case. I envision when I finally inspect the pin, a chisel and hammer will easily remove the epoxy filler. 100% water tight which was the effect I was trying to achieve.
Cheers
thank for that. I probably don't have enough room on the inboard side, but that is definitely something I could consider for the outboard side.
gRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull