Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2024, 18:57   #1

Boat: Simpson Cloud 12
Working around 2 pack paint

I'm looking at a second hand boat that has its interior painted with a 2 pack white paint. It was done by professionals and looks great even though the boat is 15 years old.

There are a couple things that I want to switch around in the galley. For one, there is no microwave and I'm a lazy chef. I've never worked with 2 pack before. If I were to drill holes in the existing counters in order to build a frame for the microwave (to secure it to the boat), would I be able to paint the frame to match the existing 2 pack or am I going to have an eyesore at the end of the day? Would drilling holes ruin or crack the surrounding paint, like gelcoat?

Are there other considerations I might not be thinking of given that the boat is 2 packed?
workmaster2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 20:03   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Working around 2 pack paint

It's paint, good paint. The only real limitation is that if it's awlgrip it will always show a line if you touch it up because of the transparent nature of the paint. You can apply one-part paint over two-pack but not the other way around. You can apply two-pack paint over two-pack. Not a big deal.

I've used two-pack paint and varnish on several projects. The main drawbacks are cost and the toxicity of the uncured paint.
Old 27-02-2024, 16:26   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

" would I be able to paint the frame to match the existing 2 pack or am I going to have an eyesore at the end of the day?"

At our Bunnings Hardware chain in Australia we can bring a sample of the color we are trying to match and an electronic device can come up with the color additives required to match that color.

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 16:43   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Like Jammer says. The new color may match exactly, but if they are in the same plane there will be a line between the new and the old paint because it is so thin. This happens when people try to "touch up" scratches in their Awlgripped topsides too. You can always see the spots they tried to fix. If the frame is in a different plane from the counter the color will match and the frame will create its own line, so it would not be noticeable.
With Awlgrip II you are supposed to be able to do touch-ups, but have not used it.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2024, 05:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Just use a color that coordinates with the existing, but makes no effort to match it exactly. That way it won't look like you failed.....

Tags
paint, work