Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 19:29   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Would this be Good Winch Pad Material??

I really don't know the forces involved so I'm looking for opinions on whether or not the people feel that the specifications of the material in the attachment would make good Winch Pads.
It can be laminated together in layers to become as thick as you needed and it can be shaped reasonably easily.
Is there any of you that could evaluate the attached information and suggest if it would make a good winch pad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winch-Pad_Specs.png
Views:	378
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	3192  
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 22:27   #2

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
What is it? I'm guessing some form of UHMW??
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 00:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It looks like a very tuff form of engineering plastic. Are you wanting to make a spacer or pad to protect Gel coat or???

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
It looks like a very tough form of engineering plastic. Are you wanting to make a spacer or pad to protect Gel coat or???
It would only be a spacer to the degree that it would be used to adjust the approach angle of the genoa sheet and bring the axis of that winch to be correct in relation to the sheet (the surround of my cockpit where the winch is mounted is sloped toward the water and to the stern). On a good heal your reaching over and close to the water.
It would be a very odd shape with a larger diameter at the base of the pad and a smaller diameter (diameter of winch base) at the top of the pad. In plan view the radius points of the top and bottom plains of the pad would be offset. The top and bottom surface of the pad would not be parallel. I haven't figured it out exactly but with about a 10 inch diameter (Andersen 58's) the difference in thickness (base to top) of the pad from one side to the opposite side (plan view) would likely be about 2 inches. In elevation view the angle from the top plain to the bottom plain of the winch pad would vary in steepness.
Doing my best to use words to describe this but I'm not sure if my best is good enough?
Can you envision what I am trying to describe??
I will have to draw it eventually but that will be tough for me also.
Do you think the material is strong enough?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:06   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am confused, but that's nothing new! This pedastal is hollow, but anchored from below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Imagine winch.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	3199  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
What is it? I'm guessing some form of UHMW??
I was hoping to get some response based on the specifications alone.
It is a well known material that has been around along time although perhaps no one has thought to use it in this application? Or maybe they have?
It's Corian.

Do you think UHMW would be better?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:21   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It looks good to me!

The tensile is good, Light resistance is good but I would paint it anyway. It looks much like what I used under my windlass, Acetal.

But solid mahogany works very well and a lot less expensive. Just give it a couple coats of epoxy to keep it dry, one thinned or w/ Penetrol and one standard. EZer to work with too!
Old 05-04-2008, 13:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Ummm, Coarian here in NZ is a plastic material bench tops are made from. Is that the same thing?? So are you considering molding the Corian and pouring in the stuff or taking the already made material and shaping it.
A high density plastic like Del mentioned maybe better. It would not be as brittle as Corian. However, you will have to shape it to "wedge" you need and that may not be so easy.
One other way of doing this is using Epoxy Resin and a filler material. Make a mold of the shape you want, mix up Resin and a filler powder and pour it in to the mold. You will need to use a very slow "summer" hardener so as the resin does not over heat.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 18:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I am confused, but that's nothing new! This pedastal is hollow, but anchored from below.
Not a very good drawing, but perhaps it will serve better than my command of the English Language?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winch-Pad.png
Views:	327
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	3203  
Old 05-04-2008, 22:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
A little better picture.
Now I just have to figure out how to shape it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A-58_WinchPad.png
Views:	340
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	3204  
Old 05-04-2008, 22:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Ummm, Coarian here in NZ is a plastic material bench tops are made from. Is that the same thing?? So are you considering molding the Corian and pouring in the stuff or taking the already made material and shaping it.
A high density plastic like Del mentioned maybe better. It would not be as brittle as Corian. However, you will have to shape it to "wedge" you need and that may not be so easy.
One other way of doing this is using Epoxy Resin and a filler material. Make a mold of the shape you want, mix up Resin and a filler powder and pour it in to the mold. You will need to use a very slow "summer" hardener so as the resin does not over heat.
Don't know if it is the same. I think I'll laminate 1/2 inch layers and then I'll shape it. Not sure how yet?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:24   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Don't know if it is the same. I think I'll laminate 1/2 inch layers and then I'll shape it. Not sure how yet?
As stiff as that stuff appears, it'll have to be very flat to laminate and the bonding adhesive will have to fill all the voids from there. Once you start tightening down the winch bolts the voids will start to crush and start a possible de-lamination.

To shape it one would have to drill a tooling hole in the middle, install a bolt with a center hole in the head. Then chuck up the opposite end in a lathe chuck, center the end and turn the angled side.

The top angle can be milled by threading the tooling hole from the bottom and mounting a rectangle bar with two set screws to keep it from rotating. Mount that in a mill vice at whatever angle and cut the top.

Pretty simple actually!
Old 06-04-2008, 09:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Pretty simple actually!
Not the first time I've been called simple. (ha ha, I think).