Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 18:26   #1

Would you be concerned about these blisters

I had done a complete blister repair job about a year ago and have been meaning to share these pictures on this forum. 3 coats of west system barrier coat and 2 coats of interlux 2000e.

Looking back I wish I stripped the entire hull and added a couple layers of biax for extra strength.

Any thoughts?

https://imgur.com/a/6dqRnUQ
lsheaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 18:45   #2

Re: Would you be concerned about these blisters

Looks like you were diligent in locating and grinding out the many blisters.
Blisters are rarely more than a cosmetic issue, and who sees the bottom anyway, or even cares if it is poxy. As long as it floats your boat, it is doing it job.

Reference: https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2013...than%20ignored.

Snipet therefrom of particular note for the spots that may be deeper than others.

"Thickened epoxy resin alone is suitable to replace the gelcoat and the first layer or two of the underlying laminate, but where a blister involves deeper layers, it's good practice to replace the fiberglass reinforcement that you ground away. It's not necessary or even particularly desirable to try to match the original lay-up schedule when repairing blisters. Binders in fiberglass mat often make it incompatible with epoxy, so the best choice is six- to 10-ounce fiberglass cloth. Cut the cloth into discs slightly larger than the flat part of the depressions and press them into the tacky wet-out coat. Saturate the cloth with epoxy resin, thickening the resin slightly with colloidal silica if you experience difficulty with the resin draining out of the weave. Add and saturate as many layers of cloth as necessary to restore the laminate to its original thickness (Figure 5). Allow this lay-up to cure for around 30 minutes before filling the remainder of the cavity with silica-thickened epoxy."
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 19:52   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Looks like a candidate for a peel.

Is that Kevlar? If so, be aware it wicks water along the filaments and if it shows through the skin it can spread water a long way.

See photos in my albums.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 20:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Looks like a candidate for a peel.

Is that Kevlar? If so, be aware it wicks water along the filaments and if it shows through the skin it can spread water a long way.

See photos in my albums.
Note: His pictures were from before he repaired it a year ago by placing 3 coats of west system barrier coat and 2 coats of interlux 2000e.

It seems the only deepish blisters were down low along a line of the keel.

The job is done, not much reason to look back or reconsider your efforts at this point in time.

Inspect the hull the next time you have it hauled out to see how your patch repairs have faired. Time will tell. Most of the blisters will likely have been resolved.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:49   #5

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Hopefully you let the blisters dry out, took my old UFO 34 about 4 months. Regularly flushed the hull with a high pressure spray to remove any crap that was oozing out. Then did a similar repair as you described and five years later was still fine.

Sounds like you will find out how good a job you did on your next haulout.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:02   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I have yest to see ANY evidence that blisters are more than a cosmetic issue. Unless a dedicated racer wanting ultra smooth hulls, money spent on an endless battle against blisters is a bad investment if not a complete waste.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:18   #7

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I guess the question is what were your moisture readings: prior to work, after grinding and prior to repair and now? Did you read the majority of the hull before you started the project. Just some thoughts.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:18   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Note: His pictures were from before he repaired it a year ago by placing 3 coats of west system barrier coat and 2 coats of interlux 2000e.

It seems the only deepish blisters were down low along a line of the keel.

The job is done, not much reason to look back or reconsider your efforts at this point in time.

Inspect the hull the next time you have it hauled out to see how your patch repairs have faired. Time will tell. Most of the blisters will likely have been resolved.

+1 and +1 for both of Montanan's posts in this thread. It's really just a wait/see until you pull the boat next time.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:16   #9

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I have yest to see ANY evidence that blisters are more than a cosmetic issue. Unless a dedicated racer wanting ultra smooth hulls, money spent on an endless battle against blisters is a bad investment if not a complete waste.
Maybe if you have enough blisters they will act like the dimples in a golf ball and help you go faster!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 14:37   #10

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

My catalina 27 when I was grinding/filling all these blisters....
5 coats of Interlux 2000
done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_134758.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	222642  
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 16:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
I guess the question is what were your moisture readings: prior to work, after grinding and prior to repair and now? Did you read the majority of the hull before you started the project. Just some thoughts.
Unfortunately I did not have access to a meter. It dried for maybe a month or so here in the Caribbean. I did not have the time to let it sit any longer.
lsheaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blisters