Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 06:00   #16

Re: Yard Damaged Catamaran Hull

so you called the insurance and they are involved. sounds like you have everyone's attention.
curious- who is the manager? or what yard?
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:02   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
so you called the insurance and they are involved. sounds like you have everyone's attention.
curious- who is the manager? or what yard?
It doesn’t seem like it, but at this point, that’s the best news you could get.

Now just hope that the wet core is localized.

Edit: whoops. I quoted the wrong post. This was for the OP
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:13   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
They lifted it with a trailer in the wrong location. Missed the bulkhead by feet. We have a video of the process.

The operator just came to look and said that yes, he lifted it incorrectly and caused the damage.
Sounds like a good time to learn a bit about moisture meters ...
Moisture Meter Mythology and Flir thermal imager
Old 04-12-2021, 07:04   #19

Quote:
They lifted it with a trailer in the wrong location. Missed the bulkhead by feet. We have a video of the process.

The operator just came to look and said that yes, he lifted it incorrectly and caused the damage.
Keep up with the progress and pictures if you can. Very interested in the closure. Good luck with the repairs.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:34   #20

Thank you for the help everyone. Some more info:

The spot where the water is seeping into the bilge is right at the aft of the keel and that area looks to be solid glass. It's right around the point where the keel meets the hull I'm hoping that the balsa around it isn't too bad as it's all above where the drips are forming. Fingers crossed.

At this point, I would rather not name the yard. I will say that they use the trailer to move the boats around in the yard but haul/splash with a travel lift. The operator told me he absolutely hates the trailer. I'm getting the feeling that this isn't the first time this has happened here.

I have a surveyor lined up to do a full insurance inspection of the hull when we haul, provide recommendations for the repair and do a final inspection before launching.

It's sounding like the yard is taking care of the repairs but I'll be paying the surveyor. A bit disappointed that this will cost us anything especially since we'll also be paying for lodging while we're out of the water.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:54   #21

Boat: Custom Catamaran

So this also happened to me with our 42ft cat. The yard uses a crawler trailer to haul boats out and due to my beam, had to fit wider wooden beams to take us.

Long story short, mid haul there was a pop, the wood beam slipped and the metal trailer punched a hole in my aft starboard hull. Flooded the aft starboard cabin and left a 50cm x 50cm L shaped tear.

They didn’t do anything for 48 hours so I ended up flushing the hull with fresh water and organising a mechanic, before they finally pulled their finger out and organised the GRP repair. I probably should’ve involved the insurance co but since they offered to cover the cost, didn’t bother.

Turns out the same yard picked up a Lagoon wrong and popped a number of their bulkheads. Twice.

South coast UK....

N
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53B01189-80A0-4599-B7F9-B04A95207001.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	249318   Click image for larger version

Name:	6BAABA6C-1EA4-4587-A9CC-8AA5087F9BCE.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	249319  

ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
So this also happened to me with our 42ft cat. The yard uses a crawler trailer to haul boats out and due to my beam, had to fit wider wooden beams to take us.

Long story short, mid haul there was a pop, the wood beam slipped and the metal trailer punched a hole in my aft starboard hull. Flooded the aft starboard cabin and left a 50cm x 50cm L shaped tear.

They didn’t do anything for 48 hours so I ended up flushing the hull with fresh water and organising a mechanic, before they finally pulled their finger out and organised the GRP repair. I probably should’ve involved the insurance co but since they offered to cover the cost, didn’t bother.

Turns out the same yard picked up a Lagoon wrong and popped a number of their bulkheads. Twice.

South coast UK....

N
Damn! That makes our small drip look like...well...a small drip.

I'm hearing privately from a number of people that similar things have happened to them. It seems this is a fairly common occurrence. The surveyor told me that he sees a lot of this as well
Old 04-12-2021, 08:30   #23

Quote:
Damn! That makes our small drip look like...well...a small drip.

I'm hearing privately from a number of people that similar things have happened to them. It seems this is a fairly common occurrence. The surveyor told me that he sees a lot of this as well
Yep but it’s still annoying for you guys!

I’d 100% get a surveyor involved for impartial advice on any further damage, and then understand from the yard how it will be fixed. You don’t want them doing a bodge job.

And don’t involve insurance if you can. It’ll be recorded as a claim and will likely affect future premiums. Plus if they’re paying, there’s no need for the insurance co to know as you’re not claiming.

N
Old 04-12-2021, 08:36   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Yep but it’s still annoying for you guys!

I’d 100% get a surveyor involved for impartial advice on any further damage, and then understand from the yard how it will be fixed. You don’t want them doing a bodge job.

And don’t involve insurance if you can. It’ll be recorded as a claim and will likely affect future premiums. Plus if they’re paying, there’s no need for the insurance co to know as you’re not claiming.

N
The insurance already knows. That was the way I got the yard to move on things. It still won't hit my insurance since I won't be filing a claim for anything. At least that's the hope.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:24   #25

Quote:
The insurance already knows. That was the way I got the yard to move on things. It still won't hit my insurance since I won't be filing a claim for anything. At least that's the hope.
Ah ok - just caught up on one of your earlier posts as well re: surveyor.

It sucks and I can appreciate how frustrating the extra costs are. After repair, this cat was then written off by a fishing boat (it was cursed, I swear) and while insurance paid the boat value, I was still out of pocket £25k in personal items, recovery, travelling, etc. One of life’s learning curves I guess!

N
Old 04-12-2021, 13:33   #26

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
I agree and luckily the damaged area that is leaking can be reached from the inside as well. I'm really hoping that's the only spot since the cabinets in these things don't come out without a lot of work and damage.

8my concern is with my lack of knowledge in how to repair this damage correctly. I'll be relying 100% on the yard.
This is why you have insurance right?
You'll be able to get an estimate, and hire professional help.
Remember, once someone else touches that claim, your hands may be tied.

I wouldn't let the yard do anything but block it.
Since they said maybe they blocked it badly, makes me wonder about the process by how their blocking the hulls.

I've seen some, and my remembrance is they sit in a wedge, that is formed by styrofoam, but never hard blocked, with Lumber as is the usual blocking.

The insurance may have a deductible you pay out wright.
This does not mean that this deductible isn't recoverable, it's is and your agent should offer that.
They have big legal hammers to persuade tough cookies.
They will bill the yard.

It's NOT your fault this happened and you should not be out anything but your time.
Try not to let the Yard bully you or smooze you with repair promises.

You'll never know if it's right again, and could actually get reported as a structure damaged hull, by your insurance.
So, please get it done professionally.
And, you'll have the proof you need to convince anyone about its integrity.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 13:48   #27

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
That NOT a good choice brother!
You'll never know if the Yard fixed it right, or any other damage done.

Any claim you have can be recovered by your agent, including your deductible.
The "extra" premium you'll pay, won't be much, if any since it's not your fault.
Better go over your coverage.
If you had to call your agent about it to get action, the Yards integrity is questionable.
Especially if your only insurance is Liability.

Once the Yard touches it...Your Done, no claim... It's now settled.

Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 13:54   #28
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
I'm looking for some advice from anyone with experience with this or a similar issue.

We have a newer (perfect shape) sailing catamaran that is our full-time live aboard. We hauled out in Florida to have a bottom job and when we splashed, we had water ingress from what appears to be a crack where they either lifted us with a trailer or where we were blocked. The damage is below the waterline.

I spoke with the owner and he said they may have gotten the stand in the wrong place and will haul us next week and fix it.

That's all great and although I'm pretty bummed that it happened, all I want is for the hull to be back to as good as new.

So, here's my questions.

1) I'm considering having a surveyors come out and evaluate both hulls completely. My concern is that if there is one spot, there may be others.

2) I have no idea what the best way to repair this type of damage is. Will the surveyor provide this input?

3) should I find someone to do the repair or let the yard do it?

4) is this something I should contact our insurance company about?

Brand, model, and year, please.

Even on cats, I've always felt that balsa below the water line is... dumb.
Old 04-12-2021, 14:03   #29

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

If not mentioned before...the surveyor should be very experienced with Cats.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 14:46   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Your claim will not affect your insurance. Your underwriter will subrogate all costs to the marina's underwriter.

We've been hired a number of times to oversee repairs when the client had little faith in the insurance company's surveyor or adjuster. We have gone head to head with yards, yacht clubs and manufacturers trying to cut corners and won every time. Find your own expert to represent your interest (make sure he has litigation/court experience).

Our tab was always picked up by the vessel underwriter and subrogated.

Find your own surveyor that you feel confidence in and have him oversee repairs. it won't cost you a dime if you negotiate this with your underwriter.

Tags
catamaran, hull