Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2021, 15:11   #31

Boat: 2013 Aquila Power Cat
Re: Yard Damaged Catamaran Hull

In our case the yard denied any damage and we footed the $8K repair bill. Insurance was no good because "no collision". Lucky your yard admitted it.
lhuff35204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 15:17   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuff35204 View Post
In our case the yard denied any damage and we footed the $8K repair bill. Insurance was no good because "no collision". Lucky your yard admitted it.
If you had confidence in your case, you had the option of small claims court.
We've been involved in a number of those cases too as expert witnesses.
We are choosy about when we get involved but again have never been on the loosing side. We'd never get involved unless we believed in the case.

I know jurisdictions are different but here in Ontario there is a $25k limit and as costs are covered ... the looser pays us.
Old 04-12-2021, 16:56   #33

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Talk to your insurance broker, ask for instruction and move forward, don't sit on it. They will need to inspect the boat out of the water, but in the first instance may also be happy to inspect it in the water. The insurance broker job is to guide you in making a claim, and they will also connect with the slipways' insurance company as they will recover the repair cost from the slipways' insurance. So there is no reason not to contact them now. Also, if the boat is up on Thursday, arrange to meet your or the slip ways insurance broker on the slips. Your main focus is only one, fix your boat as quickly as possible. That means don't mess about putting in a claim now. If the slip people see you're indecisive, they will take advantage of that and mess you around, be proactive. Also, if your not insured this is called self insurance, Ask the slip management to contact their insurance company because from your post they may be at fault. Never ever procrastinated when it comes to making a claim to repair your property. Learn by doing not sitting and wondering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
I'm a little worried about getting the insurance company involved just yet. They told us they would "try to haul us on Tuesday but their schedule is really full". I'm concerned if they get a call from their insurance, they won't haul us until everything is figured out insurance wise.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
That NOT a good choice brother!
You'll never know if the Yard fixed it right, or any other damage done.

Any claim you have can be recovered by your agent, including your deductible.
The "extra" premium you'll pay, won't be much, if any since it's not your fault.
Better go over your coverage.
If you had to call your agent about it to get action, the Yards integrity is questionable.
Especially if your only insurance is Liability.

Once the Yard touches it...Your Done, no claim... It's now settled.

Boatyarddog
What's not a good choice?

I'm fully insured (hull value of $600,000). I've contacted my insurance company and notified them of the damage and they called the yard to find out why they haven't hauled us out yet because any additional damage from their delay will also be their responsibility.

That call from the insurance agent got the yard to call and email me back after it had been a day and a half of not responding to me.

I've hired a surveyor who has a history of surveying hull damage and overseeing the repairs.

The claims adjuster is supposed to be reaching out to me on Monday. The boat will be hauled on Tuesday.
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:43   #35

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Crayiii.

I'm glad you got the ball rolling. I hope you manage to get on your way soon, and continue with your winter's plans without undue delay.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:59   #36

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Good start - Since had the same bad experiences, I feel for your situation, - I'm cheering for you. It is Wonderful, you have now taken the right steps to resolve a number of issues as well on the way to repair your boat.

Quote:
What's not a good choice?

I'm fully insured (hull value of $600,000). I've contacted my insurance company and notified them of the damage and they called the yard to find out why they haven't hauled us out yet because any additional damage from their delay will also be their responsibility.

That call from the insurance agent got the yard to call and email me back after it had been a day and a half of not responding to me.

I've hired a surveyor who has a history of surveying hull damage and overseeing the repairs.

The claims adjuster is supposed to be reaching out to me on Monday. The boat will be hauled on Tuesday.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:39   #37

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
The insurance already knows. That was the way I got the yard to move on things. It still won't hit my insurance since I won't be filing a claim for anything. At least that's the hope.
I responded to your post here where you say your not going to make a claim,"since I won't be filing a claim for anything"
That's what the was for.

You should definitely file a claim.
You already have.
If you want it done right.
I feel that advise has gotten thru.
Good luck with your claim and repairs.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:04   #38

Quote:
I responded to your post here where you say your not going to make a claim,"since I won't be filing a claim for anything"
That's what the was for.

You should definitely file a claim.
You already have.
If you want it done right.
I feel that advise has gotten thru.
Good luck with your claim and repairs.
Boatyarddog
Ahh, gotcha! Yeah, my wife had to remind me that I'm always trying to be the easy going chill guy and in this case it could very well lead to us being taken advantage of.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:30   #39

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Ahh, gotcha! Yeah, my wife had to remind me that I'm always trying to be the easy going chill guy and in this case it could very well lead to us being taken advantage of.
I believe she is Correct in this case.

Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:42   #40

Quote:
I believe she is Correct in this case.

Boatyarddog
She usually is
Old 06-12-2021, 22:16   #41

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
She usually is

She was looking over your shoulder when you wrote that, wasn't she?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:14   #42

Quote:

Good move.

A common complaint is people tried to handle things outside the insurance and the at fault party told them would take care of it...then dragged their feet until finally when the insurance was called, it was difficult to prove what happened and people's stories started changing.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:49   #43

The best multihull surveyor in the US is Mike Firestone of Texas. I promise it is worth flying him in to assess.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:55   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Max Oertz, Finn, Star

Have a surveyor look at it and contact the yacht builder (Leopard?) for the repair and build specs. They should be able to tell you exactly what it needs be be made Bristol.
CaribbeesYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:15   #45
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
I'm a little worried about getting the insurance company involved just yet. They told us they would "try to haul us on Tuesday but their schedule is really full". I'm concerned if they get a call from their insurance, they won't haul us until everything is figured out insurance wise.
What kind of catamaran do you have? Where are the joints? Some cats have each hull joined in two halves along the keep, others are single pieces. If a joint at the keel, I'd be pretty nervous about leaving it in the water for any amount of time. Questions to consider from an insurance standpoint are is this a latent or manufacturing defect? Read your policy on that. Also, you probably signed a hold harmless type agreement with the marina, so it is likely that their insurance will not pay, so re-read your slip/haul out agreement. But of course, anything that they will do to assist you such as re-hauling and repairing the boat should be gratefully accepted. Hire your own independent surveyor though! And do not allow delays- if you do end up filing a claim with your own insurance, the delay will not look good. I'm sure your policy has something under "What to do in the event of a loss" that says you must notify the insurance company in a timely manner in order to receive benefits.

Tags
catamaran, hull