Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 12:19   #16

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: yearly cost for a jeaneau 64.

We don't know your background in sailing, so it is hard to give advice, especially since the size and expense of the yacht you propose are so significant.

If you are new to the sport, owning a boat this size should include hiring of a professional captain/manager, at least part-time, in your plans and budget.

You mention a partnership. This can be a great way to share expenses, but you and your partners all need to be able to work well together and agree to the many decisions and costs that will necessary. Boat ownership can be felt as personal, and your families are also involved.

Another option would be to charter. You have no responsibility other than to pay the monthly fee to the company. From the tone of your posts, I think this to be best immediate path to follow.

If you instead want to get into sailing, owning and maintaining a boat yourself, that is an entirely different conversation. As others gently suggested, a smaller boat would be more appropriate, as would sailing and boat maintenance classes.
Old 12-11-2020, 15:06   #17

Boat: Mirage 35

I think the OP said something about crew for the day-to-day operations.

New Jeanneau 64 with crew? Pardon my jealousy but that's approaching the range of "if you have to ask you can't afford it."
Old 13-11-2020, 05:18   #18

that is actually a really good point.

thank you so much, i will see with him to make sure i have a place ready to welcome the boat.
jonathanrongeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 07:12   #19

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanrongeau View Post
dear everyone,

i plan to buy a sailing boat with my partner and i had couple of choice to look for, but at the end i beleive i will go with the jeaneau 64.

now i woudl like to plan couple cost more or less an idea what will it be. and wonder if any of you could have some idea what i coudl expect as cost for such boat. i know that more the boat is big, bigger the maintenance will become. but good to have some idea.

thnak you everyone.
I think a lot of the expense will be directly related to where you're at. Around here a 64' boat could run $2,000 a month in slip fees alone (if you could find one). In Mexico you could do it for a small fraction of that cost. Then there's the old standby that says budget 10% of initial cost per year for maintenance, insurance and slip fees. Obviously there are a lot of variables that could render this formula useless. The first year tends to be the monster as you'll be buying things not directly related to boat maintenance. Extrapolating on Sailor Boy 1's reports, I would guess a boat that big would probably run you $5,000 a month for liveaboard purposes and that wouldn't include a lot of spa days or excessive entertainment.

Your question is rather vague, in that we don't know where you plan to keep the boat and how much elbow grease you'll be applying (much of the ongoing maintenance could be eaten up in labor if you don't plan on doing the work yourself).
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 12:19   #20

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

My buddy, who has been a professional yacht skipper for 35 years, says that for big complex yachts liek the one your are buying, figure on 10% to 15% of the purchase price per year for all running costs. So you are looking at a LOT of money. Hope you have deep pockets.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote