Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 16:36   #1

Post yearly cost for a jeaneau 64.

dear everyone,

i plan to buy a sailing boat with my partner and i had couple of choice to look for, but at the end i beleive i will go with the jeaneau 64.

now i woudl like to plan couple cost more or less an idea what will it be. and wonder if any of you could have some idea what i coudl expect as cost for such boat. i know that more the boat is big, bigger the maintenance will become. but good to have some idea.

thnak you everyone.
jonathanrongeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 16:56   #2

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: yearly cost for a jeaneau 64.

Operational/maintenance costs or slip/marina/insurance/fees costs?
Might be best to make a few related phone calls and come up with a rough figure.....then double or triple it!
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 17:05   #3

well to be honest i think both of your answer.

i will say operational and maintenance cost for 1
and for the 2 slip / marina / insurance / and fees cost.

ok im a really beginner on that and will have a crew managing the day to day operation. but i want to have an idea what can i expect of a normal day to day operation ( maintenance '' monthly '' yealry '' cost, so i can plan easily my budget and as you said multiple it then after.

and thank for the quick reply.
Old 11-11-2020, 17:35   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

Really location, condition of boat, level of maintenance, etc. dependent but it would be at LEAST $1500 to $2500 a month in Southern California.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 20:19   #5

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

1500 - 2500 is a bare minimum i would bet per Calif Ted. I wouldn't be surprised to see the figure be around 5k/month or more averaged out over the life of the boat. Especially if she's a dock queen.

A boat that size is going to require a lot of maintenance to keep her in good running shape. Do you really need a 64 footer?

Maybe i'm just a minimalist, my 42 footer is enough work for me. I wouldn't want to deal with the maintenance or cost of a boat that size.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:59   #6

i agreed with all of you.
well the size is really important as i will have often visitor when traveling.

now it is really difficult to plan an amount exact for a day to day running cost for that boat.

but as well me and my best friend are quiet handy men, and are capable of doing quiet a lot and not afraid to make the work.

of course heavy maintenance on the motor of the mats, we will not even concidere, electricity as well but for the rest i think if we want to save money that what we need to do.

for me i think this is the minimum i need, we are already 4 in it, and will have kids sometime and family and friend coming over staying with us for couple weeks month, and want to stay confortable. so i will say yes i need this,

now as the boat will be 1 year older, i will not get straight away monthly cost of 5k while it is a new boat, of course anything can happens, but this is enexpected cost i will say. so if i can put a number as yealry cost kind of and divide over a 12 month i could plan this quiet well.

thnak you all for the help i like that.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:03   #7

well it will be a boat totaly news. 1 year old, we will start sailing arround the mediteranee until october befroe crossing the atlantic and go in the caraibe for the winter season.

so of course befroe crossing we will do a quick clean up of the full hull and then a quik look at the motor and will cross after that, same will happens before coming back in the mediteranee.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:07   #8

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

In that case, I'd say expect your yearly cost to be around 5-7% of what you paid for the boat depending on insurance cost.

I'm going to bet you will need to run a generator daily, maybe twice a day depending on power consumption, so don't forget to accommodate fuel costs in your budgeting. This will add up significantly, especially when you get to remote areas and need to top up(fuel can get expensive quickly).

If you can install solar, how much will it cost depends greatly on your available space and if you need to have a custom fabbed structure. I would highly recommend trying to fit as much as physically possible to keep your batteries charged.

Don't be sold out to install lithium just yet. It's very tempting to do it, but a boat this size it's going to be outrageously closely. You will be better making do with the existing batteries, run them dead then replace with a new set of AGM/FLA. If you have skills a DIY lithium bank becomes more economical or carbon foam are a good middle ground
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:18   #9

Boat: Catalina 320

In my harbor the monthly lease for 60' slip is $1362 usd and the wait list is 18-20 years, make sure you have a place to put your boat prior to delivery. And NEVER believe a broker when he says "Don't worry about a slip, we'll find something or you can use one of ours".
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:11   #10

$10,000 per month will be your approximate ownership costs, assuming you are paying cash, not considering depreciation, or any living expenses like food/healthcare insurance/on-shore activities or ongoing expenses/entertainment. So on the very low-end tack on another $40-60K/year. If you budget for this and it ends up being less, consider it a bonus and part of the down payment on the next boat.

All in if you've set your retirement income around spending $200k a year you are going to have the time of your life, good luck and please post pics when you get the boat!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:14   #11

Boat: Hylas 54

I’d budget 55,000 to 65,000 Euros a year and see how it goes.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:39   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

Operating costs are highly dependent on how you use the boat and who does the maintenance. If you cruise and anchor out your marina fees will be low. If you DIY most of your maintenance your labor costs will be low. On the other hand it you keep the boat in an expensive marina and call a mechanic for every little problem not only will your expenses be very high but you will be spending a lot of time waiting for the mechanics to get to you.

64 feet is a lot of boat and from your questions it sounds to me like you are new to boating. Can you handle a 64 foot sailboat? Are you going to have paid crew to assist you?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:04   #13

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

maintenance usually falls in the 10% to 20% of the boat value per year. If you do the maintenance work yourself, you can keep near the 10%. If you pay a yard to do it for you, 20%.

As others have said, a 64ft boat is quite big to learn on... It is not unusual to have a few rough landings learning to dock. Doing that on a 64ft footer... well, you might want to set aside a $50k 'learning oops' fund.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:18   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

While a 64 foot Jeanneau is a big starter boat, five of the first six sixty footer plus Beneteau/Jeanneau sales in San Diego were to first time buyers. Assuming you are paying someone to do the work you will have slip fees, insurance and boat maintenance as a base. Most marinas don't have 64 foot slips so you may be looking at an end tie. I'd guess closer to $2,000 a month in most nice SoCal marinas. Wax the boat three times a year and you may be looking at $6,000. Biweekly washing may add up to almost that. Clean the bottom $2k per year. If you are doing offshore cruising figure $1,000 per month insurance. When I got my 50 foot cat, which is about the same size as the 64 foot Jeanneau, I was shocked how quickly costs mount. You will drop $5k on custom bedding I bet and a hundred other things. The good news is the boat, at over $1.5m will make some of the costs look smaller.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:14   #15

Boat: LOA 71'
Send a message via Skype™ to C Paton-Gay

I always self insure offshore and buy Marina coverage as required. Too many zone, crew and timing issues with insurers. Lloyd’s is very strict. On the question of annual op costs, work on 8% of Entire boat replacement cost and you won’t be far off. Fair winds. ��
C Paton-Gay is offline   Reply With Quote