Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2009, 21:04   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 300
We bought some 1" closed cell foam from Defender (much lighter than the stuff used in bottom siders or c-cushions), cut to shape with an electric carving knife, and covered with Sunbrella. Cheap, easy, comfortable, durable, and professional looking.
jigray3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 21:47   #17

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Our saddle style C-Cushions are more than 14 years old and still going strong. Our cushions survived an eleven year circumnavigation, and we used them every day sitting at the helm when the boat was underway. I don't need to replace them because they are still good. The are one of our best investments in terms of durable equipment for cruising.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 05:12   #18

I wanted to bring this thread back to see if anyone has a new perspective. I'm about to replace the cockpit cushions (currently 2" ensolite in sunbrella).

My problems with the current cushions is that the foam is too hard and I'm sick of putting them away. I know many like c-cushions but it's just not for me.

So I'm thinking of switching from Sunbrella to Pfifertex (actually a twin called Textiline). The alternative would be to stick with nicer feeling Sunbrella but just leave it out. Maybe I should have done that all along with the current cushions.

For foam I'm thinking of going from 2" Ensolite to 2" Dri-fast reticulated foam.

I'm told another option would be 1" ensolite and 1" dri-fast. but there seems to be some confusion as to whether the ensolite should be on the top or the bottom of the sandwich.

Does anyone know of another type of closed cell foam that is worth considering?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 05:35   #19

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
The "dry-fast" foam" rots in the sun. I'ved had C-cushion but they did not hold up. I now have closed cell foam covered with Sunbrella but the Sunbrella is staining so I,m going to recover with Tectraline this Summer.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 06:29   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
Closed cell, no covers, from Deckmate, here. About 1'' thick. Great stuff.

The only mods I would recommend:

- in very wet climes do get slick covers (vinyl etc) so that you can simply wipe off the rain,

- in windy climes find a way to keep the cushions from flying around the cockpit.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 06:52   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Hi Carl,

The dry fast foam is great, don't let others discourage you too much on it. Yes, UV will damage it in the end, like it will everything. But when you cover it with something that blocks or at least partially blocks UV it is protected.

We use Textilene for covers. You need the type that provides the most shading (other types are more open). Pfifertex has comparable types and there you would also choose the one that provides the most "shading". We prefer Textilene.

We also added batting. This means that the cushions are wet a bit longer but you get 100% UV protection for the foam. We used the standard batting from Sailrite and used spray glue to glue it onto the foam.

When you sandwich the closed cell foam goes under the dry-fast. You need to punch 1" holes in it for drainage.

We use 4" dry-fast without laminating closed cell and this results in cushions you can use as a mattress. The result is firm for the first couple of nights but good after that.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 07:52   #22

Nick,

The batting is an interesting idea. So your experience is that it dries pretty quickly (obviously longer than the foam) and doesn't mildew? About how much batting did you install?

I've got to keep the cushions at about 2" or the seat is too high for my oddly short legs. I'm told there is a firmer and softer version of dry-fast and that a 2" cushion would use the firmer. I assume your thicker cushions use the "softer".

I don't love the ensolite sandwich since even with drainage holes it seems like it would trap water. I wonder if I could make a dri-fast sandwich of an inch of softer and an inch of firmer?

I want the cushions in a fairly light color so they aren't hot. The sunbrella has gotten stained over the years. Am I right to assume that the Textiline would be much more stain resistant?

Thanks

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 14:02   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I just use one layer of batting on top & front. It is mostly for aesthetic reasons (so you don't see the (color of the) foam through the Textilene. It's also for the rounded corners on our bull-nose cushions.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2010, 17:57   #24

Teak cockpit. We have a couple sunbrella cushions that we use in the cabin and in the cockpit in good weather. Otherwise we have a few type IV throwable cushions up there. Nothing fix-mounted. Cushions always get underfoot and screw things up.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 16:59   #25
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
When a hotel here closed, we bought a job lot of sunloungers. A hundred of them, in fact. The sunloungers start cracking after time in the sun - but the cushions live on, and they make perfect cockipt cushions. They're the right size for our yacht and our two dive boats - they're comfortable, the covers slip off easily to wash, they're fairly thin but that's OK with two layered, and they dry quickly in the sun!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 20:19   #26

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I love my c cushions. they dont care if it rains (unlike the old ones which had to be unzipped and dried out so they wouldnt become mildew farms) and they are also flotation devices.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 05:04   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I love my c cushions ...

Did you compare the C Cushions - Custom cockpit cushions for boats to the original About BottomSiders cushions prior to purchasing?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 05:52   #28

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
No. I didnt know bottomsiders existed before I got them but they look identical, at least on the website you link to.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 06:31   #29
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Consider using sunbrella shade if going with the drain dry. Very comfortable and the water won't puddle around your butt. With the dacron wrap Nick mentioned should be a long term investment, especially since sunbrella upped their warranty to 8 yrs. Are the people out there using sunbrella using the sunbrella cover 9.5 oz or the outdoor upholstery 6.5oz. Its crazy they charge more for the lighter fabric, unless your set on using a print.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 20:32   #30

Oday 30

Does anyone have any idea what the original o'day fabric pattern is called?
gnaedigidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions