Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 11:10   #1

2012 Volvo Penta D1-30 Family Name

Potentially buying a sailboat in UK (German build) to import to the USA as an American. Boat has never been in North America. It is equipped with a Volvo Penta D1-30 engine. I don’t have closeup photos of the engine or serial number available (but may be able to obtain serial number from the seller). I am trying to make sure the boat is importable as far as EPA clearance for the engine goes, ideally before I fly back to the UK a second time and survey the boat (and can check the engine for stickers), and definitely before showing up to a US port and being turned away.

Does anyone know what the EPA engine “family name” would be for this engine? That seems to come up a lot and is what the EPA is concerned with. I am also aware of an emissions recall (US only) for replacement of this engine from 2017-2019. It was US only, so the European owners didn’t do it, and it is well past the point of still being able to get the free new engine replacement.

I will try attaching/linking both the emissions recall and the EPA form that is required at the time of import. Anyone able to tell me from experience or knowledge that I will be able to import this boat? Or what box to check on the EPA form, or does customs agent do that? Or, how I can get assurances from EPA ahead of time that the boat is acceptable before I get turned away at customs?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo-Penta-D1-30-D2-40-Recall-a.pdf (96.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf form3520-21-2020-07-secured-enabled.pdf (1.51 MB, 5 views)
jabberw0ck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, penta, volvo