Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 07:55   #46

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: 9 Mile Discharge for Gulf of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
FL has lots of marine related enforcement resources + a strong USCG precence. I know for sure they make an effort to enforce their NDZs (have been checked in a couple).

If I had intent to violate any marine regulations, FL would not be my choice of venue.
Was the Coast Guard as a federal agency enforcing the federal 3 mile rule or Florida's rule?
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 08:42   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
While you may have heard that, it has no basis in fact. The longest-ranged black powder cannons would shoot just about one mile, and most considerably less.
It's the three-mile limit, not the 12-mile limit, which was supposed to have been defined by the length of a cannon shot, and there is still some controversy about it, but I think it's pretty well established now that this is fanciful. There's an article about in on JStor for anyone who has an account -- "The Historical Origins of the Three-Mile Limit" by H.S.K. Kent.

The real origin seems to be much simpler -- 3 nautical miles is one league, and is also about as far as you can see from a few meters above sea level.

Got pushed out to 12 later on (UK started claiming 12 only in the 1980's) as states started to desire more and more control over sea areas close to their shores.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 13:20   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Minor correction: it's called a Lectrasan. An Electro Scan is a medical procedure where they search your body for electros.
Since you are interested in being so petty, it's called an Electoscan! Go to Raritan Marine and look it up!
Old 14-09-2017, 13:58   #49

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
so since we are drifting .......................... is it agreed that no one is discharging raw sewage within 9 miles of shore in the Gulf of Mexico?
This was the relevant part of the website at the link in upper part of the thread to me.

"When you are more than three miles offshore in the ocean, the Y valve may be open allowing direct discharge overboard."

The 9 mile limit is the state boundary but does not seem to have anything to do with discharge.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 18:41   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Florida has some strange laws with respect to it's territorial waters and jurisdiction over boats. I don't know that they've ever been challenged in federal court but I doubt that they would stand up. Take their east coast claim.. "3 miles or the edge of the gulf stream which ever is greater". The gulf stream at Jacksonville is about 70 miles off shore. US territorial waters only extend 12 miles. Also under Florida law, Florida law applies to a boat no matter how far off shore if the Voyage begins or ends in Florida. They do not however define voyage. Does that mean Florida laws apply around the world if you start or end a circumnavigation in Florida. In my experience Florida legislators are pretty sloppy when it comes to writing laws and recognizing reality. You might note that the federal government while recognizing 9 miles in the gulf only recognizes 3 miles in the Atlantic. Just look at where the state-federal waters demarcation line is printed on official US government charts.
Florida legislators are pretty famous for passing any law they get campaign contributions for passing. I don't think they really care what happens later.
Old 14-09-2017, 20:05   #51

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Since you are interested in being so petty, it's called an Electoscan! Go to Raritan Marine and look it up!
Apologies. Feeble attempt at humor.

http://raritaneng.com/on-board-waste...-lectrasan-mc/
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico