Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2024, 10:14   #31

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor
Re: A Boat Just Ran Into My Boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Hire a surveyor asap and have him document the damage including estimated cost to repair.

An anchor ball is cheap, it should be used all the time.
(I know, most folks say it is not necessary in the US, nobody does it, nobody knows what it means, etc., etc..)
Not that cheap but you can make 1
(24" diameter per USCG)
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:48   #32
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Please show me this. I understand that striking a bridge is an allision, but every reference and report I can find about a ship striking an anchored ship is referenced to as a collision.

Just one example. https://www.arnolditkin.com/blog/mar...nts-how-to-pr/ They clearly state that impacts between a moving vessel and an anchored or moored vessel is a collision.

Commercial vessel collisions occur when a ship strikes or is struck by another ship. Either vessel may have been in motion, anchored, or moored at the time.

Later they stated that an allision is a collision with something that cannot move, such as a bridge.

Contact in terms of commercial vessel incidents is described as striking an object other than another vessel. It also does not include running aground. This is referred to as an “allision.” When a vessel strikes a dock, bridge, or another stationary object, this may be considered contact or an allision.

Perhaps this relates to the fact that and anchored boat is not regulated in the same way as a boat at a dock. You need a shape or light. You need to keep watch. It did not 100% clarify the status of a vessel at a dock. Maybe moored included that. The distinction seems to be not whether it is moving or not, but whether it is a vessel or inherently stationary object. The distinction matters, because it affects the burden of proof.

I think it is actually a collision, but I would love to learn, through a government document, that it is an allision.
It is a great question - I haven't found a government document that defines this, however, here is a link to a USCG report where anchored boats were hit and the term used was an allision - not a collision.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...HJBItWVg%3d%3d

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:10   #33
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
It is a great question - I haven't found a government document that defines this, however, here is a link to a USCG report where anchored boats were hit and the term used was an allision - not a collision.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...HJBItWVg%3d%3d

dj

That does it for me!

If you go to page 44/45 of the report and see just how close they anchored to the race course (about 50'), it's chilling. Some of the victims were floating in rafts! These boats go 140 mph.
Old 02-09-2024, 11:38   #34
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
That does it for me!

If you go to page 44/45 of the report and see just how close they anchored to the race course (about 50'), it's chilling. Some of the victims were floating in rafts! These boats go 140 mph.
Chilling for sure... A 7-year old lost their life in this one...

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat