Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 16:24   #1

Boat: Ranger 37
A Boat Just Ran Into My Boat.

Hello,

Please give me some advice. I have a 37 foot sailboat that is anchored in front of a friends in lake Washington. Just moments ago, I watched from the dock as a 45+ foot sailboat sailed directly in her port side.

I panicked but I managed to get a few videos of it happening (lots of cussing on my end). I got some videos of the damage, and got out to their boat. He gave me his info, told his story (I also tried to get a video of that). He admitted 100% fault. I mean, yeah, I was anchored.

So I got his email, phone number, name, and the name of his boat. He said "He'll do right by me", but still. What should I be doing now.

Any advice is welcome I have never experienced this before.

Thanks,
W
Wotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: A Boat Just Ran Into My Boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
Hello,

Please give me some advice. I have a 37 foot sailboat that is anchored in front of a friends in lake Washington. Just moments ago, I watched from the dock as a 45+ foot sailboat sailed directly in her port side.

I panicked but I managed to get a few videos of it happening (lots of cussing on my end). I got some videos of the damage, and got out to their boat. He gave me his info, told his story (I also tried to get a video of that). He admitted 100% fault. I mean, yeah, I was anchored.

So I got his email, phone number, name, and the name of his boat. He said "He'll do right by me", but still. What should I be doing now.

Any advice is welcome I have never experienced this before.

Thanks,
W
File an insurance claim immediately. Let your underwriter fight it out with him just in case ...
Old Today, 17:32   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Are you insured?

Is the other party insured?
How much damage, just a scrape or busted rigging, cracks etc.
This will determine how much leg work and paperwork you have to do yourself to get compensation. If no one is insured it is going to have to be a fairly hefty sum to make it all worth while in which case you may need to front Judge Judy.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:33   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Depending on your state laws you might be required to report it to some police agency and you might be required to do so in a certain time period.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:55   #5
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

The first thing you need to do is make sure your boat is not taking on water. You need to be sure you are taking care of your boat as best possible so no further damage occurs

Then you need to report to the proper authority. It may be a local DNR, might be some other authority it depends upon where you are located.

They will direct you as to how best to proceed by local law. Contact your insurance company, give them all the information.

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat