Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2018, 14:27   #121

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: A non US citizen with Delaware registration flys what flag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPZ View Post
Sheesh, a free country. How do I become an Honorary SA citizen so I don't need to pay for registration of my boat?
Try selling her in the US.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 15:44   #122

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
For the purposes of international law it is still a United States vessel. In U.S. territorial waters it doesn't matter. Out on the open seas or entering the waters of a foreign nation it does matter.
That is certainly the practice, but do you actually have a legal reference for that (Delaware registration = USA boat)? Ive never seen it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 16:15   #123
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A non US citizen with Delaware registration flys what flag?

LMAO... My Hunter 37c was registered in the UK and flew the Red Duster.. but as far as US Customs was concerned it would always be a US boat.. just its owner could never be a US citizen..
Has anyone informed Delaware citizens that they are not US citizens..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 19:22   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LMAO... My Hunter 37c was registered in the UK and flew the Red Duster.. but as far as US Customs was concerned it would always be a US boat.. just its owner could never be a US citizen..
Has anyone informed Delaware citizens that they are not US citizens.. [emoji3]
What did you do to get banned from becoming a USA? [emoji6]
Old 14-04-2018, 19:46   #125
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Try selling her in the US.
If I was able to legally fly an SA flag I wouldn't care less.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 20:05   #126
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
That is certainly the practice, but do you actually have a legal reference for that (Delaware registration = USA boat)? Ive never seen it.
To my knowledge there is no regulation since there is no requirement to register your boat with the USCG.

It is a US boat by default. If you are hailed by a naval or coast guard vessel on the high seas, or in foreign waters where they are permitted concurrent jurisdiction to board US vessels, what country do you think they are going to assign to your boat for the purposes of jurisdiction? "Delaware"?

The States are political as well as geographical subdivisions of the Nation called the United States, with certain sovereign rights. One of them is to title and register boats. Not like countries that only have one national level registry and title issuing authority .

If you sail your State titled and registered boat to foreign waters it is going to be regarded as a US boat.

It's about like shipping your privately owned car bearing California title and plates to Europe for a vacation.
Old 15-04-2018, 01:36   #127

I have seen many Deleware registered boats flying the stars & strips and owned by non-US owners especially in the Mediteranean sea in places like Cyprus and Turkey. Most all avoiding the EU tax.
Warren Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 06:39   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Drifter View Post
I have seen many Deleware registered boats flying the stars & strips and owned by non-US owners especially in the Mediteranean sea in places like Cyprus and Turkey. Most all avoiding the EU tax.
Yes, true in many other venues too.
Old 15-04-2018, 09:27   #129

Quote:
If I was able to legally fly an SA flag I wouldn't care less.
As I understand it South Africa has no registration/ documentation? I bought a boat for a SA couple which I never tried to do either. The non-profit I gave it to had a hell of a time convincing the US authorities of that from what I understand.
Old 16-04-2018, 14:13   #130
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Actually, I'd bet that a Delaware citizen is not necessarily a US citizen. In some states, you may become a citizen OF THAT STATE within 30-90 days of continual residence there, even if they call that a "resident" more often than a "citizen". In the Northeast states, our terribly obscure militia laws sometimes put the burden of militia service on you along with that status of becoming a citizen.

For a boat with US State registration, "obviously" it is a "US" boat. Except, what is obvious does not matter to a bureaucrat. If their country says you must have papers from a sovereign state, then that's national papers and "state" registration won't do. Anyone want to take a poll of what, some 150 nations and see just what their rules all are?

Start with Title 10 USC and somewhere scattered in there, I think you'll find some of the remaining few rights and burdens to documented vessels in the US. And their crews.

When you THINK you see, or speak to, some foreigner claiming they are getting away with documenting a US flagged vessel and keeping it somewhere far away in order to cheat some other tax man....Remember, all that you KNOW is they have just told you that they are cheating the law. There's no reason to think their "US documentation" isn't a cheat and a lie also. When you file for documentation, do you really think the feds run a citizenship check? Do you really think they check the citizenship of stockholders in a corporation? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe anyone can file anything--and the only problem is if you get caught.
Wouldn't be the first time, place, or agency with policies like that. In fact, just as the various state tax men woke up in the 1970's to "Delaware" registrations....it wouldn't be hard for some hungry jurisdictions to start asking for proof of citizenship.
This is like the game (that worked fine for 30+ years) of having your paychecks sent to an offshore bank, and declaring zero income. Spending it by an offshore credit card, so you showed no spending or income. Worked fine until it got so popular that banking laws were changed, 5? years ago. And then, oh, right, fines and penalties.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 15:01   #131

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
For a boat with US State registration, "obviously" it is a "US" boat. Except, what is obvious does not matter to a bureaucrat. If their country says you must have papers from a sovereign state, then that's national papers and "state" registration won't do. Anyone want to take a poll of what, some 150 nations and see just what their rules all are?
The poll has been done ... it's called the UNCLOS most countries play pretty close to those rules ... it will have a definition of a vessel's nationality ... US documentation exists to satisfy that definition. How state registration fits in I don't know, but unlike documentation it is not designed to prove nationality to a foreign official ... if they're not satisfied with your registration then you will be classified as a "vessel without nationality" whatever that implies.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 16:07   #132
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
As I understand it South Africa has no registration/ documentation? I bought a boat for a SA couple which I never tried to do either. The non-profit I gave it to had a hell of a time convincing the US authorities of that from what I understand.
Some ideas. Sworn affadavit declaring ownership filed in some jurisdiction in SA, or some SA certificate of title. Perhaps a letter response (in response to a query) to the SA equivalent of the SA Coast Guard on their letterhead paper concerning the no need to registration. And maybe keep the phone numbers to the SA embassy/consulate of the country your visiting handy. Lastly printouts of the pertaining SA law concerning that boats require no registration.
Old 16-04-2018, 16:19   #133
RPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
The poll has been done ... it's called the UNCLOS most countries play pretty close to those rules ... it will have a definition of a vessel's nationality ... US documentation exists to satisfy that definition. How state registration fits in I don't know, but unlike documentation it is not designed to prove nationality to a foreign official ... if they're not satisfied with your registration then you will be classified as a "vessel without nationality" whatever that implies.
Perhaps better would be a compilation of boaters who have visited foreign countries in State only registered boats and their experiences. I have never seen or heard of anyone running into a problem but it would be interesting to see what experiences people have had.

A boat without nationality is really only a jurisdiction issue for certain things. Like say the US Coast Guard wanting to board a US vessel in the territorial waters of a foreign country in which they have agreement to do so. Or the foreign government wanting to pay closer attention to vessels from certain countries entering their waters. In the absence of boat nationality, they will likely simply focus on the occupants, and searching the boat for contraband.

There are also many things that are commercial code and have nothing to do with a private vessel
Old 17-04-2018, 11:43   #134
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There are something like 157 "signatories" to UNCLOS but it has only been ratified by less than half of those, including the US. So it has no legal standing even to half of the nations that have signed it.

On boaters' experiences...All that tells you is which border guard got up on the right side of the bed, on that particular morning. One refused to stamp my passport (poor fellow probably had sold his ink on the black market) which technically left me open to charges of illegal entry and espionage. You know, that Cold War thing? Another took my expired passport without any complaint and just said "Yeah, you look like him. Just a bit grayer though, huh?" If you are polite and can give them a laugh (which most folks don't) a lot will just wave you past. In other places, they come equipped with a permanent scowl and a checklist, and if the Pope came through on a paddleboard, they'd STILL insist on full formalities.

There's still some value in knowing the laws, and knowing that you're in compliance. Experiences do count--but you can't rely on them for sure passage.

If you meet the same nice fellow who asked me "What is the purpose of your visit?" to which I usually reply "Invasion and conquest, but if you line up all the women, cattle, and gold I can just pick them up on my way out, we can skip all the messy pillaging and burning and sacking?" I wouldn't bet that you get the same "Go ahead. Have a nice trip." that I did. (Oh, and they lie, they NEVER have the women, cattle, or gold lined up for me when I leave.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 13:09   #135

Quote:
Some ideas. Sworn affadavit declaring ownership filed in some jurisdiction in SA, or some SA certificate of title. Perhaps a letter response (in response to a query) to the SA equivalent of the SA Coast Guard on their letterhead paper concerning the no need to registration. And maybe keep the phone numbers to the SA embassy/consulate of the country your visiting handy. Lastly printouts of the pertaining SA law concerning that boats require no registration.
I'm assuming it got resolve, donation is something for nothing. I was just curious if in fact SA had no governmental registration. As I took it, it was more of a yacht club registration. Just curiosity on my part but maybe helpful to someone else. maybe someone from SA has the answer.

Tags
registration