Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 07:39   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Adventure and disarmament

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
The OP mentioned Bahamas as a destination. So won't be eating shark. The entire Bahamas is a protected shark habitat.
Well it was a good thing I wasn't caught. Though in my defence I didn't know. Also, he started it, tried to steal my fish and bent my best spear.
Old 18-06-2020, 07:44   #17

Admittedly, I'm an avid target shooter as well. However, I have a lot of hobbies. Wood working, target shooting, music (guitar), fishing, motorcycles, snorkling, downhill skiing, backpacking, ice climbing.

You're going to have to resign yourself to the reality that you simply can't pursue all of your passions WHILE you're out cruising. Embrace the ones that you can, or possibly find new ones to do while out cruising.

You might be able to find gun ranges on some of the island that rent guns for use. I would prefer MY weapons, but something is better than nothing.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 08:35   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

blow pipes are legal! not sure how well they would be for taking out a goat or wild chickens,which is about all you might find on carribean islands
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 08:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
blow pipes are legal! not sure how well they would be for taking out a goat or wild chickens,which is about all you might find on carribean islands
If truly only interested in target shooting, then Primitive Arts (knives, axes, spears, darts, atlatl, throwing stars, bow) might be the easiest option.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 08:51   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Forget firearms, to start with a salt water environment isn’t good for them, and I’ve never seen anywhere in the Bahamas you could use them, and I believe on check in you have to state exact amount of ammo and show it when you leave, or at least better have that amount if your ever stopped. Which means no shooting.
Can’t shoot fish there either, I have two Ocean Rhino spearguns in storage, I don’t carry them with me as you can’t use them, so why have them?

In many countries high power air rifles are considered firearms, I didn’t know until after I arrived there, but my Beeman R1 was illegal in Germany, it exceeded the max energy allowed.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 09:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Shark also tastes like chicken. It also makes very nice steaks that don't break up like chicken does, so is good on the bbq. Is a little bland without seasoning though.

We don’t eat shark. We have a deal. We don’t eat shark, and they don’t eat us![emoji3]
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 09:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
We don’t eat shark. We have a deal. We don’t eat shark, and they don’t eat us![emoji3]
Yea, well if you could also stop hand feeding them fish that would make it a lot easier on us spearfishers
Reducing their fear of humans isn't good for either of us.
Old 18-06-2020, 12:15   #23

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Well it was a good thing I wasn't caught. Though in my defence I didn't know. Also, he started it, tried to steal my fish and bent my best spear.
Well, you were in its house with your hand in his fridge. So I believe you actually started it.
And please read and respect the fishing regs in the countries you visit. Ignorance has never been an excuse for breaking the law. At least that's what I was told I was caught speeding[emoji39]
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 12:18   #24

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
The OP mentioned Bahamas as a destination. So won't be eating shark. The entire Bahamas is a protected shark habitat.
Actually PR
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 12:45   #25

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Like I said above, the problem is people feeding the sharks for tourists. Also, this was 10 years ago, so am not sure it was a crime then, as there were also other locals eating sharks. We shared the shark for christmas with our neighbours. You're not even from there, so get of your high horse buddy. You some kind of vegetarian or other degenerate?
Wow, did you not see the emoji? I'm not on any high horse. You stated something that is currently illegal, regardless of whether it was during the time at which it happened. In the interest of anyone reading the post I brought it up.
And whether or not people feed the sharks, you had a fish that was speared. Sharks attack injured fish. Law of nature buddy, you invited the shark in, not anyone else.
And no I'm not from the Bahamas, I just cruise there in the winter. I also hunt and fish at home. I own guns and a compound bow. I also read and follow the hunting regulations for wherever I hunt.
You do whatever you want, justify it however you need to. I will continue to spearfish legally, swim with sharks, sail the bahamas, and respect the laws of the places I visit.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 12:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Forget firearms, to start with a salt water environment isn’t good for them, and I’ve never seen anywhere in the Bahamas you could use them, and I believe on check in you have to state exact amount of ammo and show it when you leave, or at least better have that amount if your ever stopped. Which means no shooting.
Can’t shoot fish there either, I have two Ocean Rhino spearguns in storage, I don’t carry them with me as you can’t use them, so why have them?

In many countries high power air rifles are considered firearms, I didn’t know until after I arrived there, but my Beeman R1 was illegal in Germany, it exceeded the max energy allowed.

I’ve had no issues with my rifles or pistols or ammo, slightly more work to keep them oiled up (G96), when at port the boat has a temp limit of 72 and humidity of 40% for the AC, on the hook or underway it’s just a little more TLC.

But I also shoot a bit, normally at least 500rds a month on the long range stuff, and I go through 9mm and 223 like potato chips.

I could see someone getting a hipoint for “protection” or some fudd gun, stowing it in a locker for a year +, not touching it, not having good climate control most of the time, not prepping it for storage, and it having issues.
Old 18-06-2020, 13:05   #27

Quote:
Wow, did you not see the emoji?
Ok grandpa, well fyi, that kind of emote is exactly what someone who thinks they are being self righteous would use. But if that was not the intent, then fair enough. I respect the ocean, and participated in many lionfish hunts, and the ocean is my home too.
Old 18-06-2020, 13:20   #28

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

You can clear a fire arm into the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos. Make sure you claim it. If they find it in a search and you have not claimed it you could be in big trouble.
I dont know about points farther south.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 13:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
You can clear a fire arm into the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos. Make sure you claim it. If they find it in a search and you have not claimed it you could be in big trouble.
I dont know about points farther south.
Hmm, how does that work?

They hold them, or just say don’t take them off the boat?

Will they actually inventory all my ammo? Think it’s north of 6k rounds lol

Think I could bring most of everything to PR, but their laws are kinda odd
Old 18-06-2020, 13:37   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
Hmm, how does that work?

They hold them, or just say don’t take them off the boat?

Will they actually inventory all my ammo? Think it’s north of 6k rounds lol

Think I could bring most of everything to PR, but their laws are kinda odd
Guns are restricted in Puerto Rico

Guns are restricted just about everywhere in the world

On boats Guns are Not worth the trouble

At customs they are either taken off the boat or customs bond them on the boat

Both procedures are under police supervision and will cause you much trouble
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men