Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 13:47   #31

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Adventure and disarmament

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Guns are restricted in Puerto Rico

Guns are restricted just about everywhere in the world

On boats Guns are Not worth the trouble

At customs they are either taken off the boat or customs bond them on the boat

Both procedures are under police supervision and will cause you much trouble

PR at least can’t go too far, as they do love their US federal money.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Puerto_Rico

Guess my CCWs should be good to go too?

https://utahcarrylaws.com/puerto-rico-2020/
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 13:51   #32

Puerto Rico is a very dangerous country

The authorities do what they can to restrict legal guns , illegal guns are everywhere

Walk down a side street in San Juan and you will alway see shell casings mixed in with used hypodermic needles

I typically see .38 caliber casings
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 13:57   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Puerto Rico is a very dangerous country

The authorities do what they can to restrict legal guns , illegal guns are everywhere

Walk down a side street in San Juan and you will alway see shell casings mixed in with used hypodermic needles

I typically see .38 caliber casings

38, 32 and 25s, criminal scum loves them those rounds

Kinda thinking, maybe just leave the guns stateside and have them shipped to me in PR, maybe shy of a carry gun Bahamas or Turks customs could hold or lock in the boat?
Old 18-06-2020, 14:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post

Kinda thinking, maybe just leave the guns stateside and have them shipped to me in PR, maybe shy of a carry gun Bahamas or Turks customs could hold or lock in the boat?

https://bs.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...n-the-bahamas/

While you are allowed to have a firearm on your boat, you cannot remove it. Weapons must be under lock and key at all times.

You're not going to be able to have a CCW in the Bahamas. As for Puerto Rico, you'll need an FFL holder on both ends to ship. Do you plan on shipping them back out again? Otherwise you'd have to sail directly from PR to Turks and Caicos again.

How much target shooting do you actually think is going to get done for this effort? CCW tells me your actual motivation isn't target shooting as a hobby.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 15:11   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We gave up on target shooting while sailing because of regulations. Even for the US, I believe you’re only allowed to take a gun in for max. 6 weeks then get it out again.

So we sold our competition guns when we left Holland... hurt the heart and the wallet.

For safety is another issue though and within 2 years we had a shotgun aboard in case of looters, pirates etc. We only needed it once since we got it but that made it worth having (never needed the fire extinguishers during the same period, but replaced them all with new anyway).

We are close to departing for the Bahamas and will take a shotgun and a handgun, which is perfectly fine if you can legally own a gun where you come from. Max. 250 rounds ammo for each gun though. Just check the regulations for every country you go. I believe there is only one country that you can’t arrive with a gun and that is Mexico. Other places you are expected to bring your own gun or are forced to rent otherwise (or stay aboard).

We now have competition guns again but will not take those along. I recommend a shotgun that can be handled by all crew (we have a 20 gauge) and a simple, not to expensive but reliable full size handgun like a CZ P09 or Glock 17 etc. Not sure if the handgun is allowed in PR though...
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 15:26   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
https://bs.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...n-the-bahamas/

While you are allowed to have a firearm on your boat, you cannot remove it. Weapons must be under lock and key at all times.

You're not going to be able to have a CCW in the Bahamas. As for Puerto Rico, you'll need an FFL holder on both ends to ship. Do you plan on shipping them back out again? Otherwise you'd have to sail directly from PR to Turks and Caicos again.

How much target shooting do you actually think is going to get done for this effort? CCW tells me your actual motivation isn't target shooting as a hobby.

So if it’s lock and key I could avoid the shipping pain in the butt and bring everything along but keeping it locked in PR and Turks?

As for CCW, I had my bacon saved once, the police don’t actually stop crime they just document it, I’d think the news today made that sadly obvious, but I have my firearms for all sorts of reason, from protection, to hunting, sport, etc.
Old 18-06-2020, 15:32   #37
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
So if it’s lock and key I could avoid the shipping pain in the butt and bring everything along but keeping it locked in PR and Turks?

As for CCW, I had my bacon saved once, the police don’t actually stop crime they just document it, I’d think the news today made that sadly obvious, but I have my firearms for all sorts of reason, from protection, to hunting, sport, etc.
Exactly but be prepared to lose them. Friend in the DR found their fancy Mossberg “mariner” was lost during holding by the Port Captain.

I now carry a “made in Turkey” cheap Winchester

Also, make sure to have the original invoice that shows the serial number. When you get back to the States, you want to be able to prove the gun was taken with you from the States as opposed to importing it. If you don’t have the invoice, you can get forms to register it (from either Customs or ATF) and show that when re-entering again. Not that they ever asked my about any guns but I always have all the documentation inside the folder with boat papers as well as digital copie in the cloud

Edit: dam that auto spell correct is messing me up.. I keep editing my posts
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 11:52   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I would never take my four barrel set on my boat or any other nicer firearm.
I too wonder what you would do with a bow, seems like a waste of storage space to me.
In the Marquesas for one, feral pigs are a destructive nuisance and goats denude the islands of vegetation. Hunting them would greatly benefit the environment and ecosystem. Would only go hunting with a local who could steer clear of any issues with gendarmes and certainly use the meat.

Have no idea what the legal restrictions are on bows but would definitely want to know what they are before bringing them into a new country.

Having a gun onboard may make you feel safer but are total hassle dealing with local gun restrictions. Most nations won't let you keep them on board and will hold them in some form of shore side storage at your point of entry if they don't confiscate them permanently. That usually results in a long upwind slog to retrieve the weapons when you leave the country. Failing to report the weapons and later getting busted will almost certainly get you some enforced quiet time and chances to meditate on obeying local customs.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men