Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 21:26   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: AIS registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Section 5.3 “Ships dimensions” is still somewhat confusing. It calls for “overall” length but the diagram shows length on deck.

As you said, the difference of 8’ in length is negligible when compared to most larger vessels.

Thank you for providing that. I had been looking for it but wasn’t using the right language in the search box.
Since you are under 300 gross tons those Solas specs don't apply to you, but they may help in understanding the intent.
Many AIS displays round the length to the closest meter.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 21:29   #17

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Since you are under 300 gross tons those Solas specs don't apply to you, but they may help in understanding the intent.
Many AIS displays round the length to the closest meter.
Old 14-02-2020, 22:24   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

COBG, I agree totally with Paul on this. What you put there is only an approximation, something to generally guide others in anticipating your behavior. Plus or minus 10 or 15 feet will not have any affect upon other's decision process in maneuvering, and no one in the gov gives a hoot either. I suspect that most professionals simply see a class B and assume that you are a WAFI and try to stand clear beginning from a long way away.

Now, if you want to be truly law abiding, you will change the nomenclature from "sailing vessel" to "pleasure craft" or "fishing craft" or some other non-sailing category EVERY time you fire up the engine and begin motoring, for that actually will alter the response of an approaching vessel. Of course, this isn't even possible on some class Bs and it's a PITA on others, so no one that I've observed (myself included) does so. Oh, the shame of it all...

I can't speak for you, of course, but I've got plenty of more serious things to worry about!

Jim
Old 14-02-2020, 22:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
COBG, I agree totally with Paul on this. What you put there is only an approximation, something to generally guide others in anticipating your behavior. Plus or minus 10 or 15 feet will not have any affect upon other's decision process in maneuvering, and no one in the gov gives a hoot either. I suspect that most professionals simply see a class B and assume that you are a WAFI and try to stand clear beginning from a long way away.

Now, if you want to be truly law abiding, you will change the nomenclature from "sailing vessel" to "pleasure craft" or "fishing craft" or some other non-sailing category EVERY time you fire up the engine and begin motoring, for that actually will alter the response of an approaching vessel. Of course, this isn't even possible on some class Bs and it's a PITA on others, so no one that I've observed (myself included) does so. Oh, the shame of it all...

I can't speak for you, of course, but I've got plenty of more serious things to worry about!

Jim

Oh, I have plenty of things to worry about, I can assure you. Currently completing a total reconstruction of a 70 year old wooden ketch is quite a challenge - never having done this before.

I have sailed for over 50 years - mostly on the Great Lakes. Mostly on a 28’ sloop with minimal electronics. This higher tech gear is mostly new to me. I had no easy way of knowing how critical the length dimension was. In an effort to get up to speed I seek out knowledge from as many sources as I can. It’s really fairly easy - I post a question and folks are kind enough to respond with very helpful suggestions.

It takes much less time than steam bending 50 ribs or replanking a 47’ hull.

One evening, a few questions - several good answers. And I feel oriented!

😎
Old 15-02-2020, 06:00   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

LOL, glad you found some value in our pedantic ramblings. Some of us get WAY to into this stuff...

My thought was to use what the documentation/registration says. That would be hull length only. That's what governs the requirements for both safety equipment and navigation (for example, who must not impede whom in a narrow channel.) So I figure that's the information which would be of value to a vessel receiving your AIS signal.

Here in the US, it's very common to see lots of vessels broadcasting their length as 30-35 meters. Get up close, and you'll find it's really a 30-35 foot vessel. The idiots clearly didn't read the form.

Nobody ever seems to challenge these folks, so I'm sure if you're a few feet off either way, nobody will say anything. But there will be pedants out on the water, too, who will silently judge you if they happen to know your model vessel and see that you've entered it incorrectly.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 06:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
LOL, glad you found some value in our pedantic ramblings. Some of us get WAY to into this stuff...

My thought was to use what the documentation/registration says. That would be hull length only. That's what governs the requirements for both safety equipment and navigation (for example, who must not impede whom in a narrow channel.) So I figure that's the information which would be of value to a vessel receiving your AIS signal.

Here in the US, it's very common to see lots of vessels broadcasting their length as 30-35 meters. Get up close, and you'll find it's really a 30-35 foot vessel. The idiots clearly didn't read the form.

Nobody ever seems to challenge these folks, so I'm sure if you're a few feet off either way, nobody will say anything. But there will be pedants out on the water, too, who will silently judge you if they happen to know your model vessel and see that you've entered it incorrectly.

Thank you for responding. This inquiry actually stayed well within the “boundaries”, so to speak. Maybe if I’d spiced it up a bit - who knows!

I’d actually be flattered and surprised if someone recognized the model of boat involved in this discussion. It’s a pre-WWll John Alden design and, as far as I know, only 5 have been built.

Tags
ais, registration