Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 01:08   #1

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
All round Yellow Navigation Light Function

I have found a couple of navigation light manufacturers offer an all-round yellow navigation light for vessels >20m. Aqua Signal and Perko both have these. These are not quick flashing yellow lights that are used on a fast boat like a hydrofoil - just fixed all round yellow.

I cannot find any reference in Colregs or elsewhere for a need for this. Anyone know their purpose?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: All round Yellow Navigation light function

I thought that the flashing bit would be done by the switch gear, the light itself would be no different from a normal all round light
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
I thought that the flashing bit would be done by the switch gear, the light itself would be no different from a normal all round light
Understand the point you are making but suspect this might not be correct cos the ones I have seen have traditional incandescent bulbs and I cannot think that they would be suitable for quick flashers. Surely quick flash yellow all round are strobes and only made possible by that technology? Not sure though.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:22   #4

360 deg yellow flashing is for towing

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:59   #5

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
360 deg yellow flashing is for towing
Nope that is not it... Inland Rules states that you can have a whistle signal light that is in sync with your whistle. Can be either all around white or yellow. So when you give passing signals the light will lightup when you sound the whistle.
So when you see a vessel far ahead of you and there is a single flash, they are trying to get a passing agreement from you. An considering the speed of light and sound; you will see the light first before you hear the whistle.

For towing ahead or on the hip the special flashing yellow light will have an arc of 180 to 225 degrees. Mounted on and in center of the bow of the first barge/barges. It flashes 50~70 times per minute.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Nope that is not it... Inland Rules states that you can have a whistle signal light that is in sync with your whistle. Can be either all around white or yellow. So when you give passing signals the light will lightup when you sound the whistle.
So when you see a vessel far ahead of you and there is a single flash, they are trying to get a passing agreement from you. An considering the speed of light and sound; you will see the light first before you hear the whistle.

For towing ahead or on the hip the special flashing yellow light will have an arc of 180 to 225 degrees. Mounted on and in center of the bow of the first barge/barges. It flashes 50~70 times per minute.
I suspected it might have something to do with inland waterways rather than international. I can see its utility as a passing light but doubt that it would be used as a fast flashing light. And is all round so.....
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21   #7

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Just to add: Under ColRegs your can have an all around white light, range 5 NM to lightup in conjunction with your whistle...
But don't say anything about being in sync or not.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:32   #8

ferries in certain ports with a capable speed of greater than 20 knot an all round yellow. Gladstone Australia have this rule.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Understand the point you are making but suspect this might not be correct cos the ones I have seen have traditional incandescent bulbs and I cannot think that they would be suitable for quick flashers. Surely quick flash yellow all round are strobes and only made possible by that technology? Not sure though.
Just had a look at the Aqua signal catalogue, shows flashinbg all round lights for inland waterways, bulb is "special tungston filament", which is the same bulb we use in our AS lights.
Googel Aqua Signal all round light and you should find the info
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:45   #10

I did find this in the US code title 33,2034

"(b) Light signals A vessel may supplement the whistle signals prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule by light signals:
(i) These signals shall have the following significance: one flash to mean “I intend to leave you on my port side”; two flashes to mean “I intend to leave you on my starboard side”; three flashes to mean “I am operating astern propulsion”;
(ii) The duration of each flash shall be about 1 second; and
(iii) The light used for this signal shall, if fitted, be one all-round white or yellow light, visible at a minimum range of 2 miles, synchronized with the whistle, and shall comply with the provisions of Annex I to these Rules.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 07-02-2012, 05:51   #11

I don't know the law, but I see with some frequency, yellow lights on tugs pushing barges in the local ICWW.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
I did find this in the US code title 33,2034

"(b) Light signals A vessel may supplement the whistle signals prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule by light signals:
(i) These signals shall have the following significance: one flash to mean “I intend to leave you on my port side”; two flashes to mean “I intend to leave you on my starboard side”; three flashes to mean “I am operating astern propulsion”;
(ii) The duration of each flash shall be about 1 second; and
(iii) The light used for this signal shall, if fitted, be one all-round white or yellow light, visible at a minimum range of 2 miles, synchronized with the whistle, and shall comply with the provisions of Annex I to these Rules.
I can accept that. If synchronized with the sound signal it would be one or two seconds I suppose and not really a flash as such. Makes sense. Thanks for the effort. Inland waters is not much of an issue in Australia - dry continent. I have had no exposure to other inland waterways.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:13   #13

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

An all around,flashing, yellow light is required (in addition to the normal running lights) as per the international rules (rule 23 (b)), for an air cushon vessel, less than 50 meters in length operating in the non-displacement mode. This is the only place that I can determine that an all around yellow light is required. All other yellow lights are less than all around
The flashing lights, synchronized with whistle signals, are required to be white. (Rule 34 (b)(iii), for international, and may be either white or yellow for inland.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

All around flashing yellow is displayed where it can best be seen by ACVs, aka hovercraft, when operating in non-displacement mode.
Also used to mark dredge pipe.
Both are 50-7o flashes per minute.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:34   #15

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

I also found, after checking, that a submarine must also disply a flashing yellow, all around light, in addition to the normal running lights.
Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to be sure before I posted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation