Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Does a vessel ever have Right of Way over other vessels?
No - a vessel does not have 'right of way' 23 36.51%
yes- vessels have 'right of way' depending on the circumstances. 5 7.94%
The COLREGS define who has 'right of way' 4 6.35%
The COLREGS do not refer to 'right of way' at all. 42 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 07:00   #31

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: All things COLREGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Sorry that's not it, I'll draw it, port and starboard tacks..
Attachment 98582
So the opposite of both vessels under power...
And hence why all the texts show boats close hauled! If it was any other way the rule would have to add conditional constraints as in "when the wind is abaft the beam then this is the rules else yada yada yada...". It would just add another layer of complexity and (just my opinion) lots blowboaters are up there with once a year trailer boaties when it comes to knowledge of the rules so this would only add to their confusion.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:39   #32

The error I most frequently see from recreational sailors is an absence of understanding of their obligations as a stand on vessel.

-Vessel under power is identified by sailboat.
-sailboat correctly identifies it is the stand on vessel.
-sailboat proceeds to tack, gybe and maneuver a half dozen times in the power driven vessels path, arrogant in the knowledge they are the stand on vessel, entirely unaware they are obligated as the stand on vessel to maintain their course and speed.

By far the worst examples I have seen of this is Toronto Harbour, where any summer night you could have three race courses set up (including in the marked shipping channels), over 100 sailboats (many a decent size), 3 dozen commercial passenger vessels, half a dozen municipal vessels and cement and sugar ships all in about a 3-4 square mile harbour.

There's no might is right there. Many recreational sailors their would be happy to see environmental catastrophe by forcing a 600' sugar boat aground if the alternative would be to lose 30 seconds on their Wednesday night race.

It's not uncommon to see a cement ship coming through the Eastern Gap, just maintaining steerage way and repeatedly sounding 5 short blasts on there whistle as they slowly gain ground through the tangle of sailboats- seemingly ignorant to the ships existence.

I know this happens other places too- but Toronto sailors are uniquely disdainful of commercial shipping.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:12   #33

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Sorry that's not it, I'll draw it, port and starboard tacks..
Attachment 98582
So the opposite of both vessels under power...
Comparing the crossing rules for two power boats vs. two sailboats is apples and oranges.

I guess you could say the rules are opposite in your drawing but the reality is when two power boats cross, the one on the starboard side has rights but when two sailboats cross, starboard tack has rights over port tack and leeward has rights over windward.

Just as the COLREGS don't specifically mention "right of way", racing rules do not mention "overtaking vs. overtaken". The rules are written in terms of "when a boat clear astern establishes an overlap...." Can get a little confusing when people use different verbage to mean the same thing.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:40   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Always giving the larger vessel the "right of way" is analogous to a small car always giving the "right of way" to an 18 wheeler.

If you want to confuse the hell out of the driver of the 18 wheeler and make driving more dangerous then always give the larger vehicle the "right of way".

It's really better to learn the Rules so you know what are the appropriate actions to take and so that others know what to expect from you.

You have to know the rules for driving a car or flying an aircraft. The same should go with operating a boat. It is unfortunate that in the US, recreational boat operators are not tested on the Rules. The professionals are required to know the Rules and for good reason. Being a skipper, you and others whose lives you are responsible for, regardless of the size of your boat, can die from making a wrong decision regarding the Rules.

There is another book which explains the Rules quite well.
Mariner's Rules of the Road: William P. Crawford: 9780393032871: Amazon.com: Books

Both Crawford's and Farwell's were textbooks while I was at the maritime academy.
Amazon.com: Farwell's Rules of the Nautical Road (9781591140085): Craig H. Allen: Books

You can't learn the rules very effectively just by reading CG-NAV. It's a good start though and is better than nothing. Farwell's and Crawford make learning the Rules a lot less dull as well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:31   #35

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I feel like an idiot when I screw up. Yesterday, on the wind starboard tack and off to port a very nice looking boat reaching on port tack. Obvious colosion course but 2-3 hundred yards separation, maybe more.

At six knots well healed, I sit down on leaward side to look under the genny to keep an eye on him. And sat on my soft drink can spilling it under my bum.

While squirming around I pulled on the wheel and fell off the wind, which appeared to the other boat as giving way when I should not do so. I lost sight of the other boat briefly and came back on the wind noticing he had headed up in response to my boneheaded move.

He fell back to his original couse, still with 1-2 hundred yards separation. We met as we should but not within shouting distance so no chance to say "sorry I'm an idiot".

We exchanged friendly waves as is common. However since a couple of crew were standing up looking intently at me, I'm sure there were a few choice words expressed at my actions. Treid to hail them on the radio to apologize but no answer.

I have no cup holders. I need some.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:24   #36

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Lol we can't even get past page one or 5 words. I can't imagine why boaters don't read and know them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:33   #37

The easiest answer to this is to do a DOCKHEAD'S GREATEST HITS list of links.

Would save a LOT of retyping.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:43   #38

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I don't have time to go search for it but someone on here must have started it. I subscribe to gCaptain.com. It is about commercial shipping primarily but also delves in to sailing topics on occasion. There is a huge thread on avoiding collisions between sailboats and ships there. Really huge. The Colregs are quoted left and right, up and down, with lots of opinions, agreements, disagreements. Just like here LOL.

But go look it up. It will give you a lot to think about in what might go through the other boat/ship skipper/watch-stander head in close quarters.

Basically every floating object under control has a duty to avoid any other, but what each boat is supposed to do up to the point of collision depends on the situation. A board of inquiry will give its "opinion" in the end.

"Stand on" and "give way" are the key descriptors but in the end no one can use that as an excuse to hit the other one when they could have avoided it. If it was easy everyone would do it.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:53   #39

My favourite online reference

Handbook of the Nautical Rules of the Road
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:14   #40

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The expression 'right of way' is not in the international 'Rules'... however it is in common use even amongst professional sailormen where it is taken to have the same meaning as 'stand-on' and 'vessel required to keep her course and speed'. No more, no less....

Rule 17 refers.....
Old 09-03-2015, 15:08   #41
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The OP has seemingly detached from this thread without substantiating anything he claimed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2015, 15:15   #42

I think the OP lives in Australia and is probably asleep.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 15:23   #43

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I think the OP lives in Australia and is probably asleep.

Lazy bugger..... its gone 0900 in Tas....
Old 09-03-2015, 15:55   #44

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The OP has seemingly detached from this thread without substantiating anything he claimed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NO, I havn't. It is morning, and after doing a school run, I've now zipped off to work. It's 10am here.

And so far, I've not 'claimed' anything in order to substantiate.

However, I'll pop something up soon which I'm sure will get a few further responses.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 16:14   #45

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
Because Rule 17b places a duty on the " stand on " vessel to avoid a collision it cannot be said to have a " right of way".
Spot on! What could be more different than right and an obligation?
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote