Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 04:41   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Anchoring in Key Largo Sound

I was intending to visit the keys in December and was looking at anchorages in Key Largo. Is it ok to anchor in Largo sound? I have read it is "no anchoring" but it is not part of the Monroe County pilot program. So under current laws, I don't see it being possible to restrict anchoring in there?

I see mooring are available, but at $18/ night I was thinking of staying several weeks after the kids go home to school and would pay say $250/ month if mostly were available.

cheers,
Jeff
Old 02-11-2015, 07:13   #2

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
re: Anchoring in Key Largo Sound

We often vacation down there and tie up to the park moorings. Moorings were in great shape last time we were there and usually close to empty. Mooring also comes with park entrance which would include showers and dinghy dock.

If you still want to anchor I've seen quite a few fishing boats anchored for a few hours at a time. But FWC is strict down there, threatened to write a ticket for swimming around the boat without a diver down flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:34   #3

I could be wrong, but I thought Largo Sound was a part of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. If so, they most certainly can restrict anchoring, regardless of the state laws.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:47   #4
Marine Service Provider

Could be, you can anchor right outside the sound so deem dubious. I have been thru the area dozens of times, but never with a shallow draft to go inside.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:12   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Water is not deep there. Be sure you know what you are headed into. At 6'-8" we cannot enter.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:18   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

For many years we kept our cruiser bay side right there at Adams cut in to Largo sound. If your going to spend that much time in Key Largo, bay side would be your best bet. To the north for privacy is Barnes Sound with 7' to 8' of water close to the eastern side. From there you head south thru Jewfish Creak in to Blackwater sound. Sundowner restaurant is really good with a dock for dingy or shallow draft boats. South of that is Tarpon Basin where Ive been anchoring for 25 years.

When I decided to switch from twin power to sail my new boat had to have a max. draft of 4'-6" just because I wasn't giving up bayside.

Hope you a great time, Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I was intending to visit the keys in December and was looking at anchorages in Key Largo. Is it ok to anchor in Largo sound? I have read it is "no anchoring" but it is not part of the Monroe County pilot program. So under current laws, I don't see it being possible to restrict anchoring in there?

I see mooring are available, but at $18/ night I was thinking of staying several weeks after the kids go home to school and would pay say $250/ month if mostly were available.

cheers,
Jeff
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:05   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Anchoring in Key Largo Sound

The Keys are a bit different than other places in Florida because it is under the management of NOAA and the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary . Anchoring restrictions apply to any places that interfere with mooring fields AND protected sea grass and coral. If you damage the sea grass or coral in any way, including anchoring, the fines are substantial. I would suggest you check with the Sanctuary, 305-852-7717, to get the correct information rather than relying on advise from a forum. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:39   #8

Boat: Catalina 320

Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Regulations

They have links to PDF'S with maps of SPA areas and regulations you can save on your phone or I pad.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

I'll check that out. I have spent time bayside also about 15 years ago on a Compac 19. May look to keep her bayside while I am away if I can find an area that seems secure. Otherwise will go back to dinner key.

If I call them about anchoring I know they'll say "no anchoring" I guess the sea grass thing supersedes the state law still is affect banning local ordinances?

I do intent to stop in largo sound for a night or two. Will pick up a mooring and see if I can locate a non grassy spot to drop a few hooks. Will call FWC and have them come have a look and give them my contact info.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I guess the sea grass thing supersedes the state law still is affect banning local ordinances?
It absolutely does. The designation of a federal sanctuary means that federal rules and regulations apply, and supersede state law in almost all regards.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:48   #11
Marine Service Provider

From the linked maps,modes not appear largo sound is part of sanctuary. But anyway, no one has come along "I anchored there last year, no problems" which is what I was hoping for.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, key largo