Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 07:27   #16

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: Any Canucks know about a U.S. cruising permit?

Gunk- enjoy your new boat and the NorthWest FL area. If you want a good home made Cajun meal while down this way PM me. We're located on Mobile Bay but are taking lessons and joining a P'cola marina and sailing club. We'd love to show you some southern hospitality to start you off right.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:38   #17

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Any Canucks know about a U.S. cruising permit?

Thanks very much Biker! We'll probably take you up on that. Looks like we'll have lots to talk about...we moved over to sailing from riding....bought my first ride when I was 12 years old.....a 50cc Bombardier. Those were the days!

I'll p.m. you when we get down that way, and once we get used to the Stevens, get you out for a day sail!

Southern hospitality at it's best!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:49   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Any Canucks know about a U.S. Cruising Permit?

Bob-
"Can you provide a reference that says " Nope. Not my department. I'd suggest you contact them directly and ask for a citation of whatever statute or code they say is relevant, since a casual opinion in email has less than full legal standing.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:22   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Bob-
"Can you provide a reference that says " Nope. Not my department. I'd suggest you contact them directly and ask for a citation of whatever statute or code they say is relevant, since a casual opinion in email has less than full legal standing.
The decal is mandatory for boats over 30 feet (and private planes). However the bureaucracy varies, in the Great Lakes you'd better have it, in South Florida they don't seem that concerned. It applies to all boat over 30 feet including US flagged boats.

Who must use a User Fee decal?

Payment of the User Fee is required if:

You operate a vehicle for commercial purposes that enters the United States.
You operate a private vessel that is 30 feet or more in length that enters the United States.
In order to qualify as a private vessel requiring a decal, the vessel cannot carry passengers who pay a fare.
You operate an aircraft, which is non-commercial and enters the United States.
There is more detailed information related to the requirements of the User Fee in the Code of Federal Regulations: 19 CFR 24.22.
Old 03-09-2014, 13:39   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Vasco-
That's still not a universal mandatory sticker. In fact, it is not required except as proof of prepayment of the Customs' fee, or as proof of payment on first arrival of the year, and it appears to be not required at all for private vessels in many circumstances, per the exemption cited.

19 CFR 24.22. ...

(e) Fee for arrival of a private vessel or private aircraft—

(1) Fee. Except as provided in paragraph (e)(3) of this section, the master or other person in charge of a private vessel or private aircraft must, upon first arrival in any calendar year, proceed to CBP and tender the sum of $27.50 to cover services provided in connection with all arrivals of that vessel or aircraft during that calendar year....
....Alternatively, prepayment may be sent by ...
(3) Exceptions. The following are exempt from payment of the fee specified in paragraph (e)(1) of this section:
(i) Private pleasure vessels of less than 30 feet in length, so long as they are not carrying any goods required to be declared to CBP;

(ii) Any private pleasure vessel granted a cruising license under § 4.94 of this chapter, during the term of the license; and ....

§ 4.94 Yacht privileges and obligations.
(a) Any documented vessel with a pleasure license endorsement, as well as any undocumented American pleasure vessel, shall be used exclusively for pleasure and shall not transport merchandise nor carry passengers for pay. Such a vessel which is not engaged in any trade nor in any way violating the Customs or navigation laws of the U.S. may proceed from port to port in the U.S. or to foreign ports without clearing and is not subject to entry upon its arrival in a port of the U.S., provided it has not visited a hovering vessel, received merchandise while in the customs waters beyond the territorial sea, or received merchandise while on the high seas. Such a vessel shall immediately report arrival to Customs when arriving in any port or place within the U.S., including the U.S. Virgin Islands, from a foreign port or place.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:46   #21

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Not certain f the Federal Law still applies but recall having a client f mine, non US citizen, who kept his boat in Mexico and loved to cruise CA waters for a few months each year. When I delivered his boat into the US, I would apply for a cruising permit in San Diego at the cruise dock in the harbor and we were good for a year at a time. Each time we moved her, I had to either call into Customs and Border Patrol folks to let them know where we were, boat registration number, cruise permit number, number of folks aboard and nationalities, etc., or visit the local CBP office with the passports of those aboard and the info outlined above. A radio or cell phone call usually sufficed and never had a problem. Cruised as far north as SanFrancsco and back to Mexico regularly over the years and was always treated courteously and businesslike by the Officers.
I think if you try and skirt the rules, you are asking for trouble... They aren't that onerous and easy to follow. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:49   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Vasco-
That's still not a universal mandatory sticker. In fact, it is not required except as proof of prepayment of the Customs' fee, or as proof of payment on first arrival of the year, and it appears to be not required at all for private vessels in many circumstances, per the exemption cited.

It is required on your first entry to the US. In the past I have received notices in the mail from US Customs threatening me with a large fine (forget 10 or 25K) when I entered (decal had been applied for but not received yet) and did not later show proof that I had a decal.

Tags
cruising, permit