Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2015, 16:03   #31

Re: Bahamas with neither USCG nor State documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
If the boat is in Florida now (sounds like it is), make a stop in Green Cove Springs Florida at St. Brendan's Isle. Its a mail forwarding po box. You can get a Florida address there, they will help you with the necessary forms, then drive two blocks to the DMV and register the boat. You get your registration and stickers on the spot. This takes only about 3 hours.
But he will need to get a certificate of title as well. Foreign ports need this to prove ownership. I understand the Florida Gov people will help on this.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 16:12   #32

Boat: Soverel 30

Florida will issue a title on the spot...extra five bucks not to wait for it in the mail...speedy title

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
soverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 18:49   #33

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Agree with gilsgan. Delaware is the way to go. The Delaware LLC route is in my opinion a scam. Totally unecessary.
Delaware is very strict about documents, but you can talk to them on the phone ahead of time. You need a US address to receive the registration (St Brendan's Isle is great) and its $20 a year, or three years for $60. Turnaround time is less than a week. You must represent that the boat will be used in Delaware waters.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 23-02-2015, 18:54   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
You must represent that the boat will be used in Delaware waters.

Is it really worth your integrity? I guess each must decide.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 19:52   #35

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Sorry I've been absent; I've been cruising the boat! Multiple local sources said that on the west coast north of the keys, there's not a LEO problem and to just go have fun. I've only just upgraded my anemic data plan so that I can now CF to my heart's content.
I had a long conversation with the Coast Guard Vessel Documentation Center this morning to get my paperwork in order, and wanted to close the loop for any future readers. According to them, USCG documentation is what I need, and I cannot get a Florida title if I want that. In fact, USCG requests a copy of the signed over title (I.e. The title of the seller) so as to establish chain of ownership but don't want a fresh title.
I understand from local cruisers here that I may get into hijinx with Florida LEOs about the boat not being registered, but that, if USCG documentation is on board, their standard practice is to issue a warning first before a fine, and that consequences are not dire. I'm now in the same situation as every other southbound boat with USCG doc but no state registration. If I do get into a spot with FL LEOs, however, I'll think about Deleware. Since the boat's destination in a year may be MD, she'll be used there as well. Nothing wrong with keeping a pound of flesh that FL has no right to take, I barely eat enough on the boat as it is! My reasons for all this confusion were mostly sentimental though: I wanted my boat to say "Boston, MA" on the stern and for other cruisers to feel free to yell out, "Hey, you can pahhrk yer boat over heeah!" when I sailed into an anchorage.
Thanks for the suggestions, the research tips, the guides to follow, and the help.
Now I'm cruising to the keys until my USCG documentation arrives. Should be a week and a half to two weeks, so I hope to be in Miami by the time the actual papers get to a FL mailing address; unless there are any really strong reasons to see the Dry Tortugas?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, documentation, men