Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2017, 07:41   #1

Boat: Camper Nicholson 39 and Islander 37
Bangstick considered firearm

Hi,
I purchased a bangstick for protection while diving. Is this considered a firearm and should I declare it as such? We are cruising in Bahamas and points beyond but would like to know what to do with this clearing in. Thanks.
onthewateralot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 08:26   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Bangstick considered firearm

I would declare it and see what they say. Better than not declaring it and getting in real trouble over it. Worse case they confiscate it. Many small personal saftey devices are considered concealable weapons in many countries and are outright banned, from sprays, various knives and tasers. Best to let them know your carrying it rather than hiding it and them finding it.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 08:28   #3

Boat: Currently in between

I think I would start my research here and govern myself accordingly. The Bahamas, and points beyond, are other countries with their own laws. You get caught with something undeclared, which they perceive as a firearm, it could end very badly for you.
Old 26-12-2017, 09:15   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.quora.com/Is-a-bang-stic...he-federal-law
Old 26-12-2017, 09:20   #5

The important thing to remember is that there is no one, single answer. The Caribbean is made up of some 30 different countries, and they each have their own laws. On one island they may wonder why you are wasting their time asking about something as innocuous as a bang-stick, and on the next island over it might be considered an extremely serious crime to have it. You have to research the laws for each and every country that you intend to visit.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 09:23   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Look up the definition of firearm and I think a bang stick unquestionably is. Of course I think a flare pistol also is
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 10:21   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthewateralot View Post
Hi,
I purchased a bangstick for protection while diving. Is this considered a firearm and should I declare it as such? We are cruising in Bahamas and points beyond but would like to know what to do with this clearing in. Thanks.
The problem you may run into is that some customs/law-enforcement may think that it is illegal in their jurisdiction regardless of whether or not it actually is, which could lead to relatively serious consequences.

Bang sticks are controversial for both practical and emotional reasons. While I am certain that you have your reasons for carrying one, you should be aware that their track record as a defensive device is poor. The problems are that they frequently do not fire in time of need, and they pose a hazard for the diver carrying them as well as others on the boat or in the water.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 10:30   #8

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

My bang stick uses .44mag handgun bullets, that would have me lose my boat and spend serious time in prison in Mexico.........yes it will be a problem.......and no acting dumb and saying "I didn't know" won't get you out of it, besides why do you think you need a bang stick and have you ever used one?
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 10:42   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Even if you get past the firearm issue you may run into a fisheries issue. Bang sticks are not legal in many places...best confirm before you get caught in the water with one.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 11:09   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In the US, the BATFE specifically exempts them from "firearms". (Because mainly of the way the cartridge gets impacted to fire it, rather than a traditional firing pin being released into the cartridge.) Of course in some places, you can't buy or possess pistol ammunition with a pistol license, so you need to really look at the whole picture.

Between firearms laws, ammunition laws, and fishing equipment laws, and the occasionally uneducated minds of watercops...I'd suggest WRITING to the authorities whose borders you plan to cross, saying specifically what you've got, and getting a written reply that you can produce if someone does tell you "You can't have that" in the field.

Also remember that laws often change on January 1st, make sure you ask as to the laws as of 2018, not just what they used to be.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 11:20   #11

Boat: Camper Nicholson 39 and Islander 37

I have not used this bangstick yet. I hope I never have to, ditto for my flare gun. However when my arm is stuck in a jaw of the shark I'll be damn glad I had one, screw the authorities. I work for a living on the water and I try and be prepared as well as I can but the choice of being in conformance with local authorities versus staying alive is mine. As your choices are yours. I only seek actual experiences of others on this topic.
onthewateralot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 11:32   #12

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthewateralot View Post
I have not used this bangstick yet. I hope I never have to, ditto for my flare gun. However when my arm is stuck in a jaw of the shark I'll be damn glad I had one, screw the authorities. I work for a living on the water and I try and be prepared as well as I can but the choice of being in conformance with local authorities versus staying alive is mine. As your choices are yours. I only seek actual experiences of others on this topic.
I have used a bang stick and it hurts your ears more than you can imagine, and had an acquaintance lose his boat in Mexico because when removing his firearms forgot a box of ammo that a was found by the customs agents, your attitude will cause problems for you..........I don't see your need for defence against sharks, they don't sneak up on you to bite your arm and if one did your bang stick wouldn't save you.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 11:52   #13

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Yes it is a firearm in the Bahamas. But more important EACH and every shell must be declared and if you come up short you can be in deep do do!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 12:05   #14

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

It doesn't matter if bang sticks are considered firearms or not because they are simply illegal in the Bahamas as they are in Florida. While it's not illegal to own one it is illegal to be in the water with one, unless of course you desire to wait in Fox prison for your trial date. You could try explaining to the judge that you were not using it for fishing, but only self protection but I hardly think it's worth it. Cousteau and his crew used to use something called a shark billy for self protection. As I remember it it looked like a 3 ft long billy club with a couple of nails driven through it near the end so it didn't slip on a shark's skin. They did an awful lot of diving and as far as I know they never lost anyone to a shark. If you really feel the need for self protection one of these might do.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 13:28   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have two powerheads that go onto the kill spike of my Ocean Rhino spearguns and I have had one time I needed it. I kept it in a pocket of my BC for safety and unfortunately when I needed it I couldn’t get to it in time and fended the shark off with the speargun.
I’m taking a speargun with me to Mexico, the powerheads will not go. Mine are 30.06.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote