Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 15:47   #136

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Be Careful with U.S. Customs -- A Cautionary Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
‘ I don’t know of any, where a person won’t be stopped at the airport whilst hiding $58,000 in the lining of a carry on bag.
Stopped and questioned is one thing
Having it stolen without reason , proof or charge is something else

And I missed the bit where it was hidden in the lining, can you point that out to me please?
Old 04-06-2018, 15:52   #137

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
As an American, I'm curious too... why would anyone from The Land of the Free think it is okay for a person to be "stopped" because of his stack of cash, and then have all of that cash taken simply because there was a lot of cash??
THAT seems anti-American to me.
(honestly curious)
++++1
Old 04-06-2018, 15:52   #138
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
As an American, I'm curious too... why would anyone from The Land of the Free think it is okay for a person to be "stopped" because of his stack of cash, and then have all of that cash taken simply because there was a lot of cash??
THAT seems anti-American to me.
(honestly curious)
Then try the same stunt in any other country at any international airport and see how well things work out for you. Please let us know how it works out.

‘Nuff said.
Old 04-06-2018, 16:03   #139
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

It is not at all "anti-american" to dissent against the government.

The government is a very minor part of what makes our country great, and it is only has the right to rule as long as it serves the interests of the people.

It is the ultimate in patriotism for USian citizens to hold their public servants to a much higher standard than what citizens of other countries may expect.
Old 04-06-2018, 16:09   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Be Careful with U.S. Customs -- A Cautionary Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And I missed the bit where it was hidden in the lining, can you point that out to me please?

It wasn’t, but I sure would have to try to prevent it from being stolen. When carrying large sums of cash I don’t do so out in the open.
I’ve many times bought farm tractors, backhoes, automobiles and even an airplane with more than 10K in cash, even a John Deere lawnmower. I’m not rich, I save up and when I can afford it, I buy something, no debt is how I Retired early and went cruising.
I’ve found when negotiating that a stack of cash shows your serious, there is no arranging financing crap, they know you can afford a car, question is am I buying it from you, or the guy down the road?
I get a better price when they see cash.
Car we are driving now, I drove up to South Carolina and bought with cash. I guess I was lucky we weren’t stopped and the cash seized?
Old 04-06-2018, 16:14   #141

Quote:
Then try the same stunt in any other country at any international airport and see how well things work out for you. Please let us know how it works out.
I think I see your point: Since the average banana republic has authorities that fleece innocent travelers, then the US should be able to fleece innocent travelers too?

One can simply google "innocent civil forfeiture" to find a laundry list of cases where the US government has stolen money from innocent people without criminal charges, without a judge, without any other cause than the presence of a stack of cash. Perhaps other counties do this too. Why does that make it okay?
Old 04-06-2018, 16:15   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Way I read it, he violated no law, did not yet leave the US and wasn’t getting on the airplane to leave the US.
That is when you have to declare the money, he knew that and was going to comply. He was on a flight originating and terminating within the US, and there is no requirement to declare cash.
He was detained for acting suspiciously, and they took his money, cause they could.
He hasn’t been charged, nor will he be charged, cause there is nothing to charge him with.
Their whole contention is that if you have that much cash, your doing something illegal. That’s it, nothing more.
Once thru security at the first airport, he is in transit out of the country.

I think seizure laws need to be fixed but he violated the law. Kind of like keeping a second set of books. The IRS is going to assume the worst.
Old 04-06-2018, 16:18   #143

Quote:

You need to read the article again.
He hadn't got to the international airport yet he was flying domestically
He also didn't have the money hidden in his bag lining as you earlier claimed.
But he did have his money stolen.

Quote:
‘Nuff said.
I think not.
The crimes of your masters should not be swept under the carpet.
They have been doing it for to long and you now accept it as the new normal.
Old 04-06-2018, 16:19   #144

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
‘Curious... why does it seem it’s always OK to post US bashing stuff on a sailing forum where it’s supposed to be against the rules to post political comments?

Seems like it’s only OK if the posts are anti-American. IMO. If non-Americans don’t like the policies, then... either don’t visit the US, or don’t carry large sums of cash if you do. No country is perfect, but I don’t know of any, where a person won’t be stopped at the airport whilst hiding $58,000 in the lining of a carry on bag.
The animus many non-US citizens hold for the US government and it's policies may com fom the history of the US government. That history (not GOP propaganda) is replete with examples of egregious crimes committed by the US government. Think rape pillage and plunder of the aboriginal inhabitants of the North American continent, slavery, Jim Crow laws, domestic Japanese internment, experiments on Guatemalans, overthrowing democratically elected governments and leaders and replacing them with mass murdering dictators to mention a few.
Old 04-06-2018, 16:20   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Its definitely changed over the years. I was driving a minivan with my family onboard coming back from Canada. I was partway over the bridge when I realized I hadn’t stopped. I hit the breaks and backed up. The nice officer said I suppose you don’t have anything to declare. I said no and sorry about that. He said we don’t have many rules but you do have to stop. I apologized and he let me go. The guys on the us side were laughing their asses off when I got there. Now days they would probably just blow up the minivan.
30yrs ago lived near the border and kids would go across to drink. Regularly, they would tear apart a kids car looking for booze. They would let the kids put it back together.

This is nothing new and it was both ways they would cause a hassle.
Old 04-06-2018, 16:21   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Once thru security at the first airport, he is in transit out of the country.. . ..
Not true! The border is in the international terminal of the airport from which you leave the country. You cannot even file a Form 105 in a domestic terminal, in transit.

Note that he was not even accused of not declaring the cash. There would be no story here, if he had violated any law. Did you not get that? He was not accused of anything, and CBP didn't even file a case to confiscate the cash. They just grabbed it and kept it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 04-06-2018, 16:29   #147

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Not true! The border is in the international terminal of the airport from which you leave the country. You cannot even file a Form 105 in a domestic terminal, in transit.

Note that he was not even accused of not declaring the cash. There would be no story here, if he had violated any law. Did you not get that? He was not accused of anything, and CBP didn't even file a case to confiscate the cash. They just grabbed it and kept it.

Thanks for keeping it straight, Dock.

I think that every 3rd post needs to remind folks that the $10k rule has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with this, according to CBP itself!

I guess to some, flying with a bunch of money is offense enough, and you should have it taken away??

It boggles the mind...
Old 04-06-2018, 16:32   #148

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
‘Curious... why does it seem it’s always OK to post US bashing stuff
As an American citizen, i think the issue is that the American government (and most Americans) hold up the country as a pillar of personal freedoms with a lot of hype about how its so individualistic and free. Unfortunately reality doesnt match that and the fall from the pedestal is that much further.

My opinion is the the American government is no different (good or bad) to any other empire in history. Governments tend to grow over time, and lose that ideal that started them.
Old 04-06-2018, 16:41   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
The animus many non-US citizens hold for the US government and it's policies may com fom the history of the US government. That history (not GOP propaganda) is replete with examples of egregious crimes committed by the US government. Think rape pillage and plunder of the aboriginal inhabitants of the North American continent, slavery, Jim Crow laws, domestic Japanese internment, experiments on Guatemalans, overthrowing democratically elected governments and leaders and replacing them with mass murdering dictators to mention a few.
Exactly and adding to that, Carlin says it well

https://youtu.be/dDw-zFFhFgc
Old 04-06-2018, 16:42   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

More about the case here:

Cleveland Forfeiture - Institute for Justice

Attachment 171021

They sure look like horrible terrorist money-launderers, don't they?

The whole complaint can be read here: http://ij.org/wp-content/uploads/201...erty-Filed.pdf
Flawed logic. Recently saw a story about the evil immigration service that kicked out a former serviceman (who happened to be an illegal alien but you can get an exception if you join up). There was a lovely fluff piece with nice pictures with his mom...

What they left out that other sources provide was he was caught with 2kilo of cocaine and he had multiple other charges.

We have no idea from the picture and fluff piece what the real story is.
Closed Thread

Tags
customs