Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2018, 11:47   #331

Re: Be Careful with U.S. Customs -- A Cautionary Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
It comes back to the ability of the US to impose de facto sanctions on us, because 70% of our foreign trade is with the US.
TP
I thought Canadians were still thanking the US for inviting their little economy into the G7 back in 1976 because we needed somebody else in the group to speak English?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:50   #332

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
This is chilling:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...9Ug&ocid=wispr

Note that U.S. law enforcement agencies, including CBP, have broad powers, unlike in other civilized countries, to seize property from you for little or no reason.

And for sure, never carry large sums of cash across U.S. borders, even if you have scrupulously followed all of the rules!
And you would carry $58K in your carry on because...?
The most inexperienced traveller understands the reasons for not carrying large sums of cash.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:02   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
And you would carry $58K in your carry on because...?
The most inexperienced traveller understands the reasons for not carrying large sums of cash.
Really? I suspect there may indeed be an inexperienced traveller reading this thread who did not know that his money could simply get taken from him by a person with a badge without any crime charged.
I cannot safely buy a $58K boat with cash, because there is a danger I might bump into a policeman. Are you okay with that?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:22   #334

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Looks like we all need to use a body cam
Old 08-06-2018, 12:39   #335

YOU need somebody else to speak English???

Why would that be necessary? There is always the option that the US learns to speak French and joins la francophonie. If I am not mistaken the "two Tommies" spent a lot of time in France two hundred years prior to 1976. Quaint how the one of them, while having very little French, if any, could have turned into such a Jacobin. Quaint how a "modern nation" - a great hegemon - can be so locked into antiquated notions arising from opposition to a long dead feudal regime.

Salut, mon vieux!
Old 08-06-2018, 13:14   #336

Quote:
YOU need somebody else to speak English???

Why would that be necessary? There is always the option that the US learns to speak French and joins la francophonie. If I am not mistaken the "two Tommies" spent a lot of time in France two hundred years prior to 1976. Quaint how the one of them, while having very little French, if any, could have turned into such a Jacobin. Quaint how a "modern nation" - a great hegemon - can be so locked into antiquated notions arising from opposition to a long dead feudal regime.

Salut, mon vieux!
You make good points. Pretty sure.
Perhaps I shouldn't trust Wikipedia on G7:
In 1976, with Wilson out as prime minister of Britain, Schmidt and Gerald Ford felt an English speaker with more experience was needed, so Canada's Pierre Trudeau was invited to join the group[9] and the group became the Group of Seven (G7).[8]
Old 08-06-2018, 13:32   #337

Quote:
Travelling to Ireland from the EU

Cash controls
Ireland has no restriction on the amount of cash you can carry in or out of the country, or a requirement to declare it, when travelling within the EU. However, under the Criminal Justice Act 1994 Section 38(1) as amended by the Proceeds of Crime (Amendment) Act 2005 Section 20, if you are carrying at least €6,348.69 in cash, a customs officer may seize and detain the cash. The customs officer must have reasonable grounds for believing the cash represents the proceeds of crime or is intended for use in criminal conduct.
Customs regulations for travellers to Ireland

Later,
Dan
Old 08-06-2018, 13:34   #338

Here is a similar story:

Chatterjee was found in possession of $29,020 in cash and equipment suspected to be used for cultivating marijuana. Police seized the cash and equipment even though no drugs were found and Chatterjee was not charged with any related criminal offence.

Revenues generated through successful forfeiture proceedings are returned to [local] governments and their law enforcement agencies
https://www.canadianjusticereviewboa...ture-in-canada

This story has a catch, though.
It happened in CANADA.
Is anywhere safe from this nonsense?
Old 08-06-2018, 14:19   #339

@ Cyan #336:

Trust Wikipedia, by all means. Many do ;-0)!

There is nothing wrong with the "fact" you cite. It is, to the best of my recollection, correct. But as is the case with our ongoing discussion of Uncle Sam's perfidiousness in regard to civil forfeiture, a recitation of political fact is always trivial unless it be the foundation for an examination of why and how the fact came about. Such an examination of political fact must, of course, be performed in full understanding of the perceptions that were held by "the common man" at the given time, and of how he came to hold those perceptions.

For you and me to engage in such a discussion right here, full frontal, right out in the open, would no doubt try the patience of our moderators. But you know the remedy for that ;-)!

Here is food for thought: It is alleged that an American stood in the streets of Oxford (UK, of course), guide book in hand, bent on learning as much as he could about the colleges of that hallowed univeristy. Perplexed he asked a begowned passer-by: "Excuse me, Sir. Which is Jesus and which is Lincoln?"

Came the reply: “Hm... You Americans DO have that problem, don't you?”

Cheers :-)

TP

Old 08-06-2018, 14:49   #340

I've bought boats in the US from my desk in the UK and used my 3 months tourist visa to have a lot of fun in the lovely US of A.
The first boat I sold in Fort Lauderdale for $4000 cash, stuffed it in my pocket, flew back to the UK and converted USD to GBP in my local Sainsbury supermarket. Better rate than the banks.
Second boat I sold in New Orleans and took a bankers cheque for $15000. It took four months for the NO bank to clear their own cheque. Lucky for me the bank rate improved in my favour over that time.
Because of the second experience I thought I might go back to cash the next time I buy/sell a US boat, but reading the above thread I'm not going to.
Old 08-06-2018, 18:36   #341

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

+1.
A couple of examples:
Some people go to Cabo San Lucas and think it's representative of all of Mexico.
Others go to Las Vegas and think that's representative of all of the USA.

(sigh)

Mae West
Old 08-06-2018, 18:51   #342

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
For you and me to engage in such a discussion right here, full frontal, right out in the open, would no doubt try the patience of our moderators. But you know the remedy for that ;-)!

TP
Uh, just an FYI to all, we already find our patience being tried.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-06-2018, 18:58   #343
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Sometimes being polite might help?
I have far worse stories than yours at Customs in both Mexico and India, but a smile toward the guy doing his job can go a long way to avoid 15 years of resentment, no?

My experience after 40 years traveling, mainly by air and sea to N and S America, Europe, Asia and Africa clearing customs has been about the same all over.

As much as I've traveled I still enjoy it and usually arrive happy and excited. The customs officials mostly vary from bored and annoyed with their job to this is a very serious job and I have to act very serious . Regardless of my reception I maintain a polite attitude but almost never get a friendly response to my friendly greeting.

The only exception I can recall was clearing customs in Ireland. I show up at the Dublin airport with my standard happy hey how are you and got a smile and a welcome to Ireland and how are you doing back. Don't think that was an aberration since I got the same on another trip when I flew into Cork.

Of course I haven't been everywhere and there may be more places that would give a happy welcome. I hear wonderful things about New Zealand but haven't gotten it together to make it that way, yet.
Old 08-06-2018, 19:01   #344
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Uh, just an FYI to all, we already find our patience being tried.
Well hope you (in the plural) can maintain. I for one find this discussion interesting and it is relevant to cruising as it relates to travel, security and related issues. So far it seems the discussion has on the whole, followed the be nice (or at least don't be nasty) rule.
Old 08-06-2018, 19:06   #345

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well hope you (in the plural) can maintain. I for one find this discussion interesting and it is relevant to cruising as it relates to travel, security and related issues. So far it seems the discussion has on the whole, followed the be nice (or at least don't be nasty) rule.
Yes.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Closed Thread

Tags
customs