Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2017, 17:40   #16

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas
Re: Beware - Misleading CG Renewal site

Legal or not, it is misleading and fraudulent by intentionally appearing to be a government agency, which they are not, and not needed to transact for the government for the payments. We paid this and thought nothing was amiss until seeing this post. It's clearly a ripoff scam and they should be exposed and stopped.
Old 22-04-2017, 18:27   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I agree completely about exposing them, we should warn our fellow sailors of hazards of all kinds, but it is not for us to determine the company's legality, their what appears to be fraudulence---that is for the court. Libel is "not nice", part of the Community rules to which we have all agreed to comply when we became CF members, in the same way that in the Community Rules, we are warned to not violate copyright laws.

Ann
Old 22-04-2017, 18:54   #18

Boat: Carver 356

Never said they were illegal. In another thread, I called them a legal scam. Despite being "legal", make no mistakes about it, the reminder letter they send out and their website were both designed to make people think they were dealing with the Coast Guard. Yes the necessary wording is there, but they count on people just scanning and not reading carefully.
Old 22-04-2017, 21:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Guys, get the word out and let as many people as possible about this scam
Thanks to posts like this, and this is at least the third one on CF alone, warnings have appeared on just about every (sailboat) boating forum I know.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 22-04-2017, 21:12   #20

I think it's similar to impersonating a police officer and soliciting money from unsuspecting citizens, the kind of stuff that happens in many countries who don't enforce against this, as is so often reported in he cruising world. ( or in some cases. More of an abuse of power where persons of authority are underpaid and expect further compensation. In any case, misrepresenting official status and benefitting themselves beyond what is required.
Old 25-04-2017, 07:50   #21

For everyone who fell for this (maybe legal) scam like me, check your Document Certificate. Most likely it is one or two months short on your next renewal date. My soon to expire letter expires 5/31/17. My new one expires 4/31/18.
Because this sleazy company sends out the reminder letter sooner than the CG, the CG renews sooner and you lose a month or two.
Old 25-04-2017, 07:58   #22

Quote:
For everyone who fell for this (maybe legal) scam like me, check your Document Certificate. Most likely it is one or two months short on your next renewal date. My soon to expire letter expires 5/31/17. My new one expires 4/31/18.
Because this sleazy company sends out the reminder letter sooner than the CG, the CG renews sooner and you lose a month or two.
I was considering renewing my certificate early, but did not know that the CG would change the renewal date if you did so. Are you sure of this?
Old 25-04-2017, 08:15   #23

I was reading a thread in another boating forum and a boater who fell for this scam got his Doc. letter 2 months short. He talked to the CG and they said if you renew more than 30 days ahead you lose a month. I did.
Double check with the CG just to make sure.
I sent an email to the CG Doc Center complaining about the company in question and got a response within 2 days.
Old 25-04-2017, 09:09   #24

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

In addition to complaining to the CG - who may not be able to do much to stop this - everyone who gets these notices, and especially the people who fell for the scam, should complain to the Federal Trade Commission.

Unlike the Coast Guard, the FTC actually has the legal authority to fine and stop companies like this if they are misleading the public (the .us website is almost assuredly over the line of legal practices). The FTC prioritizes their enforcement actions against the companies that generate the most complaints - so every single additional complaint helps:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
Old 28-04-2017, 21:20   #25

Boat: Valiant 42

I think you are stretching things to suggest using a .us web address is "illegal". It is no more illegal for a US company to have a .us address than for a UK company to have a .uk address.

I agree their tactics are not in keeping with the practices we might like to see. But it seems a stretch to say they are illegal.

All US government web sites use .gov to distinguish from private web sites. The US government does not use .us.
Old 28-04-2017, 22:33   #26

We got a letter, had nothing to do with a website. But even so, I'm not in the habit of looking at URL addresses, not that suspicious minded. And that's the whole point- ripping off innocent people following what they think is the law. It's a really old trick just being done in a new way. Many people have been taken or killed by people acting as though they are legitimate government employees. In this case, just misled out of their money.
Old 29-04-2017, 04:47   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
All US government web sites use .gov to distinguish from private web sites. The US government does not use .us.
Not all use .gov USCG uses .mil as dos the other military organizations.
Old 29-04-2017, 04:49   #28

Boat: Valiant 42

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...do-avoid-fraud

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the internet is about 95% scammers, misinformation sources and just plain worthless junk. Which is about the same percentage of postal mail received by most of us.

Fortunately this site is part of the 5%.
Old 29-04-2017, 05:15   #29

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
...Yes the necessary wording is there, but they count on people just scanning and not reading carefully.

This. Read the fine print all the time.
Old 29-04-2017, 07:32   #30

Boat: Bayfield 36

Good morning to all ! It's great to be back
I've arrived a little late to the party but thought I'd send in my nickels worth on this "uscgdocumentation.us" company.
They are "posers". They send mailings indicating that your documentation is about to expire and their courtesy letter gives you the opportunity to renew on line. I start by saying.......AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE THEY ARE.
Now for my nickel..........
I'd been traveling for several months (no mail delivery on a 36' sailboat)
When I arrived home the pile of mail was daunting but I just start digging.
Saw the USCG DOCUMENTATION letter with the pretty little "pretend" Coast Guard emblem in the return address area. Damn, how'd I miss renewing !
Jumped on line and went through what looks like a official site and sent the funds.
Imagine my surprise when I received the actual US Coast Guard renewal form in the mail the next day.
I sent the "posers" an email the same day advising them that my application was to be cancelled and that I would notify my credit card company. Their reply stated they were starting legal action for fraud and theft and they would "come after me". That was a mistake. I LOVE A CHALLENGE.
I called the real Coast Guard Vessel Documentation Center. They are aware of these guys ( and a girl). They get a lot of complaints. I researched the"posers". I have more information on them then they wish ever existed.
Most importantly, I have the information for their receiving agent.
He's the guy you send the lawsuit to. I've got the time and money.
Stay tuned to this channel.....let's see if they want to come to the East Coast to defend in Small Claims Court.
Closed Thread