Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 21:27   #136

Boat: Alberg 30
Re: Boat Impounded in Mexico

It is sad, but not surprising. I am really sorry for the cruisers who this happened to, you didn't deserve this and I hope it gets sorted out soon.

For all the you should have known types, if you haven't been on the receiving of it when the rules get changed, or suddenly enforced differently, you can't really know. Especially when someone has an agenda.

The last time I crossed on a land border into Mexico from Texas, I followed the exact directions from my friend who had crossed only a couple of months before and rode there regularly. It took several hours, the first crossing as suggested by my friend the guard told me "no, we can't process vehicles anymore, go to crossing X"

The guard at crossing X said sure! Come on through, park your bike and walk into the building over there. At this point I was across the border into Mexico. Walked into the building, the person at the desk said sorry, we can't do that, you are passing through, not returning to the US. No papers available for vehicles doing that. This was more serious than it seemed, because to return to US soil from that point I would have had to return through a different gate, without having been stamped into Mexico. Riders have been permanently banned from or lost bikes for getting caught in this trap.

At this border after my pleading with them to help me figure out what to do, gave me a hand drawn map to border crossing Y and told me to ride there, on the Mexican side, without papers. If I had been caught, it would have ended very badly. To top it off, crossing Y wasn't possible to get to, as the roads had been closed for entry into Mexico, so being processed was impossible, I ended up entering the queues to go to the states, and then stopped at a guard post and refused to go farther, the guy took pity on me there, and with aid of his blackberry I translated my issue. Being a kind person he then started flagging down passing cars until he found someone who spoke both Spanish and English to help.

That person agreed to take me to crossing Z which did have the ability to issue papers. Once traffic slowed(about an hour) he reversed up the entry with the help of the guard, and I turned around as well and followed him back. Another hour of riding illegally and we got to crossing Z. After another couples hours in line I was able to get insurance for Mexico for my bike(at 140$/month for liability) This took several hours, as they didn't have my type of motorcycle in their system. After several tries, the guy had me walk through the customs area and come in to his armoured booth to enter the info myself. It took me another hour, then his printer broke. Finally he got it printed, I paid him and got to go to the vehicle paper issuing desk.

That desk, told me no papers as I was passing through the country as well, which was no longer allowed. The guy behind me in line exploded, as he traveled for work, and had crossed at the same crossing, in the same direction in the same car he was in, with the same destination two days earlier.
He was quickly told to take a hike, but I stayed polite and hopeful as I didn't even have the chance to go back to the USA, and no idea what to do. Finally the guy at the desk took pity on me, and he said "We can only issue this permit if you are coming back through this exact crossing, as the new rules won't allow passage through the country south. You are coming back this way, right?"
He knew I wasn't, but was willing to concede the point so long as I said I was.
If he hadn't I would have been crossing back through a border without the correct papers, and at a crossing hours from where I'd started.

When the rules can change in only a few days, and change completely from the rules before, which everyone knows and abides by, with years of experience backing them up, it isn't fair to place the blame on the person who gets caught by the change. I was one official having a bad day, or liking the look of my motorcycle from ending up losing my bike(which was my home at the time).

EDIT: I had worse experiences later, doing my best to follow all the rules, when someone decided to screw me over at another border. Took every dollar I had to pay bribe after bribe to get let through.
Following the rules only means you are OK when they follow the rules, and have nothing to gain by screwing you over.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 23:12   #137
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I'm planning on departing for Mexico next year and this stuff terrifies me. I have my entire fortune in my boat as well. Crooked officials are my worst fear. I hope Mexican authorities end up reading this, because if this situation is not resolved or more like it occur I may take my money elsewhere. Narcotrafficantes are one thing, I can probably stay out of their way. I don't have any illusions about totally honest officialdom either, but this appears to be a criminal enterprise which the Mexican government is solely responsible for. If that's how its going to be I'll give them a pass, thank you very much. It won't take many such incidents to reduce the volume of those who wish to cruise there. Maybe I'll do Hawaii instead, seems like the official corruption of central America is moving north. I won't risk losing my boat to these pirates till things seem a lot less shady with Adwana. If I was a Mexican politician I would have the people responsible for this put away, they will end up costing the Mexican tourist industry big time, just to enrich themselves with a few dollars. I hope others will post their concerns as well, never know, it might help (though I seriously doubt it).
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 23:18   #138
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
as far as i can see, if you follow the laws of the lace into which you go cruising, you should have no problem. if you break their laws, you will have a problem. they have every right to confiscate boats for those who refuse to follow their rules and laws.
oops. is too bad. is sad..
BUT IT ISNT BEING CONFISCATED FOR NOT HAVING A ZARPE.
there are enough yellow journalists out there without our own having to feel the need to embelish their tales.
many places do not permit firearms into country. why push it. why nt just get along and fly a low profile.
smooth sailing--be safe and leave the bangbooms at home. you truly do not need them out here. they cause more trouble than they6 are worth. we are not warring--we are sailing.

Do you know something I don't Zee? I didn't see mention of a gun in their post or on noonsite. What makes you think that was the cause of the trouble? They don't sound like the type (described themselves as young and artsy), but you never know. Fill me in please?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:46   #139
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

MINARET--TRY THIS QUOTE FROM PAGE 8.
these laws have NOT changed---they are same laws that have been in place loong time.
mexico does not allow guns to come in ---unless you are selling them via us government. so--this long winded zarpe vs law change wording was all the other sad and sorry you lost your boat stuff started out from someone hiding that fact until 0pushed by someone who lives in mexico city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
In short I entered the country and declared my 45 Glock auto and ammo with permit from Panama and receipt from the USA. After 8 hours of "who is going to keep the gun" nonsense the Navy or Customs or Port Captain, my wife and I and her brother were taken to Cancun and I was charged with "introduction of a illegal weapon" 2 felonies and non-bailable. After accidently bumping into the correct attorney in the prison front office. I had talked to others. I filed with the court that I had no history, declared the weapon and was an innocent guy on vacation. The judge said Adwana (customs) had made a mistake in charging me and I was released and then 5 days later my boat was released after improper care with the Mexican Navy, a little more worn and a hole in the side of the fiberglass. I left without a fine and without my gun. Also the court apologized to me profusely. WHY jajaja. In 6 days the lost my passport, boat registration, gun permit and Panama residency ID, their explanation. "Someone must have placed it in the wrong file" I received none of my paperwork or gun or ammo. They kept the gun because the charges were going to appealed by the prosecutor.
All I can say is that the Drug War or anything else will not be won by those incompetant idiots.. And I mean morons, excuse my French. That is the rest of the story.

contraband is contraband. mexico does not impound boats for no zarpe. they WILL impound your boat for CONTRABAND.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:54   #140
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
MINARET--TRY THIS QUOTE FROM PAGE 8.
these laws have NOT changed---they are same laws that have been in place loong time.
mexico does not allow guns to come in ---unless you are selling them via us government. so--this long winded zarpe vs law change wording was all the other sad and sorry you lost your boat stuff started out from someone hiding that fact until 0pushed by someone who lives in mexico city.

Pretty sure panamajames and svjudy ann were two separate and completely different incidents. Panamajames posted on noonsite as well in reference to svjudyann's case.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:00   #141

The story re-enforces a tenet I've had concerning travel into Mexico as far back as 1959..

Do NOT take anything into Mexico that you do NOT want to LEAVE there...PERIOD!!

And for the last 10 years or so ME... Mexico sucks NOW

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16   #142

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Minaret, just go to Homeland Security, and get a zarpe, no problem!! You may not need it to get into mexico on the west coast, but ya just never know when they are guna start requireing them out there!! everybody down our way gets them and have NO problems cking into Mexico at Isla M. Which I might add is the only place to ck into Mexico on the eastern side ! We don't carry firearms so never have that problem! But ya can get advance permits for hunting rifles and shotguns, if you get the proper paper work !! Just saying some folks do this for HUNTING trips !! we have never had any problems in Mexico on either coast, but we do speak a little spanish, and being older, are treated a little differently, as most folks down there treat there elders with at least basic respect, and we dress properly when we deal with folks in athority if ya know what I mean!! After reading your threads on here Im sure you would have no problems in Mexico. just my 2 cents
Old 02-07-2012, 08:13   #143
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
... Many of us have done the west coast San Diego - Cabo and back many times over many years. Hundreds of boats for certain. We know of what we speak. We were not 'getting away with it.' It was S.O.P. It may have changed recently, and of that we should be aware.

Go ahead and bang your heads...
i have jaywalked a bazillion times.. I have seen a bazillion other folks jaywalk a bazillion times...

this means nothing... experience of not getting popped/enforced does not make the rule/law be non-existent...

I appreciate your experience... I appreciate all the words expressed by folks... but I for one will get my zarpe and not have the attitude (that you exhibit to us), with the mexican authorities or harbor masters...
sailinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16   #144
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Things should get more interesting in Mexico with the PRI party back in control..The days of buying what you want when you want should be coming around very soon...some places just seem to get along better with a little wink and a nod and of course a little cash payment here and there...was a time in mexico when the only cartel that one saw was a little kid selling everything from chiclets to mota to his beautiful sister(not),maybe all the killing will stop now that Caldorons war on drugs(a Mexican staple) will stop...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:28   #145
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

all the killing will stop after the usa ceases selling big weaponry to the cartels and to the government, and after the usa govt ceases the alleged war on drugs which is also fueled by govt of usa...---not all the corruption here in mexico is caused by mexican authorities, btw----

minaret--you will be fine and all will go well--just carry that which is necessary--passport, fuel receipt from usa last port, and ships papers and fishing license--if you get your visa started in usa--is good--if not--is also good. if you dont have one by the time you pass ensenada, then consider the fact that you are cruising mexican waters sans permission.
crew list is made out in first port of entry. so is visa. is impossible to pay entry visa in usa--has to be done with specific banco in mexico. that banco has a branch office in port capt office in ensenada--ensenada is easiest check in locale in west mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:30   #146
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
all the killing will stop after the usa ceases selling big weaponry to the cartels and to the government, and after the usa gummingkt ceases the alleged war on drugs which is also fueled by usa...---not all the corruption here in mexico is caused by mexican authorities, btw----
++1 exactly

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42   #147

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
maybe all the killing will stop now that Caldorons war on drugs(a Mexican staple) will stop...DVC
If drugs are Mexican staple isn't that because the country is a conduit to the extremely large and lucrative drug market just north of the Mexican border?

Also how many guns have been sold to the Mexican organized crime syndicates by the government that is also just north of the Mexican border in their program labeled "Fast and Furious"?

It would be best to start looking in the backyard of Mexico's northern neighbour as to why it was necessary to try and stop the drug movement. Hasn't the government of that country frequently praised the action taken by the Calderon government to stop the drug trafficking and worked with Calderon to effect this war?

I will ask a question....who are the people who have been killed in this war? law abiding citizens? tourists? members of the organized crime syndicates?
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56   #148
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
If drugs are Mexican staple isn't that because the country is a conduit to the extremely large and lucrative drug market just north of the Mexican border?

Also how many guns have been sold to the Mexican organized crime syndicates by the government that is also just north of the Mexican border in their program labeled "Fast and Furious"?

It would be best to start looking in the backyard of Mexico's northern neighbour as to why it was necessary to try and stop the drug movement. Hasn't the government of that country frequently praised the action taken by the Calderon government to stop the drug trafficking and worked with Calderon to effect this war?

I will ask a question....who are the people who have been killed in this war? law abiding citizens? tourists? members of the organized crime syndicates?

Have you read the Fortune article on Fast and Furious? Very revealing. Also "farking" has been an intelligence standard technique for decades. When your farking program gets semi exposed, this is the sort of story you need to come up with to prevent the Target from catching on. Probably shouldn't have wrote that, but I'm sure the cartels are much more aware of the latest techniques than I...
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23   #149
Marine Service Provider

Yea americans are the only people in the world that use drugs!...more than one way to skin a cat, and if you want to protect your flanks from future problems and the Gov. to your south has policy that contradicts your needs,then you need to be a little more creative than the average Joe..I think everything is on schedule,and fast and furious is just the tip of the iceburg...It would behove any and all cartels to have the enemy at the gate and about to cause problems in a lucrative market,never mind the fact that they( the cartels)have famalia in said lucrative market...if you want to get your enemy find out who his enemy is and you can make progress...of course if you put the spin on the spin then your enemy suddenly becomes your allie and then your enemys allies become your prisoner!So simple!..DVC
Old 02-07-2012, 09:30   #150
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post

Yea Caldoron did exactly what he was supposed to do and he did it very well,as they say, I get by with a little help from my friends,and of course the other verse is, I get high with a little help from my friends..good for business on both sides... The war on drugs is a cover for bigger and better things to come...DVC