Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 18:23   #1

Boat: Catfisher 28
Boat Registration

I currently have a Catfisher 28 that is registered with the state of Wisconsin. I want to sail the Bahamas this year. Do i have to Document my boat or am i ok with just a state registration?
Thanks
tincouch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 19:13   #2

I am only assuming that it should be OK as I've seen rego's stating Denver, Austin, etc..
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 19:27   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
State registration is different from USCG Documentation. The Bahamas is used to lots of little boats coming over from Florida that are not large enough for USCG Documentation so you should have no problems in the Bahamas.
- - However, going further away and entering other "foreign" countries can be a big hassle if your boat is not USCG Documented. You can go on-line to the USCG Documentation website and get all the parameters on what can be Documented along with getting the forms and instructions to D-I-Y if you want to go ahead and get USCG Documented.
- - However, if you never plan on taking the boat further than the Bahamas Documentation is basically a waste of time and money.
- - However, one overlooked aspect of USCG Documentation is being able to protect the boat from a greedy spouse in a divorce proceeding.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 19:31   #4

A state registration is 100% as valid as a USCG registration. That said, it will be looked at a little more at some overseas offices because they are not used to seeing them...especially Wisconsin. I've never had a problem with my "California Republic" registration. After all the USCG document looks like a dimestore product anyway...no gold seal or anything.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 19:55   #5

Boat: Catalina 30 "Niunia"
Here are FAQs from USCG National Vessel Documentation Center website

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

Tags
registration