Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 19:43   #1

Boat: Tartan 3000
Boat registration NY or Florida

I recently purchased a Tartan 30 sailboat from a gent in Connecticut. This is my first Sailboat, I am not sure where the best state to register it would be. I am a Florida resident spending 6 month in Florida and 6 months in New York.

I plan to sail on the Long Island Sound this summer then sail the boat to Florida in October. After the winter in FL the plans are a little murky. Back to NY for the 2017 summer is most likely.

Would anyone know the pros and cons registering in NY vs FL? There is a difference in sales tax which amounts to $300.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 19:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Boat registration NY or Florida

If you keep a boat in FL more than 90 days, regardless of your state of residence or if the boat is registered in another state or even if the boat is USCG documented, the state of FL regulations say you're supposed to get a FL registration sticker. Typically costs $50-$100 depending on the boat.

I would bet NY has a similar policy. If so, you're stuck having to register the boat twice every year.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 01:25   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Why not just get USCG documentation? Pay sales tax where it is the cheapest or where you are keeping the boat the most but do not get the state registration numbers - that is what we did
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 04:38   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

You can document the boat but that doesn't get you out of paying taxes.

Many states require registration and a decal even if the boat is documented. I suggest you contact the authorities in both states and find out what their requirements are.
Old 27-02-2016, 04:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Adding to SkipMac's response ... we bought our boat in MD and paid MD state tax and were MD registered. Documented the boat while in MD.

Brought the boat to FL literally six months and two days later. FL told us that if it had been less than six months since we bought it, we would owe the State of Florida the difference in sales tax between MD & FL, but since we were outside the 6 month regulation, we simply had to register the boat in FL. No problem since the boat was staying in FL. When we left the US, we let the FL registration expire since we were documented. All the foreign countries we checked into required either documentation or state registration, but not both.

Also, the State of Florida does check for FL registration - the FWC wardens walk the docks and issue tickets. Marinas are asked to reveal how long boats have been there, so the FWC folks know which boats have been here longer than the 90 day requirement SkipMac refers to.

At least in FL, they're fairly serious about the state registration issue. Not sure how NY handles it. Maybe you could just be FL registered & documented?

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 05:42   #6

Boat: Mason 43

I would go with the FL registration for several reasons. Florida is much more agressive in checking registrations and enforcing the 90 day rule, We do the north south rutine with a FL registration and have not had a problem. Finnaly our 30 yr old boat only costs $17 for a 2 year registration in FL. We have the sticker on the mast but no numbers because we are also documented
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:30   #7

Boat: Pearson 303 30'3"

Adding to the FL registration...if you are docking here at a marina long term, odds are they will require a valid FL registration as well.
Enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:50   #8
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

In Florida when your boat is 30 years old, if it has original propulsion, you can register to be an "Antique" vessel and you only pay for the sticker, not for annual registration. Just inquire at your local Florida License Branch or tax accessor office.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 08:24   #9

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

In NY you are required to register the boat if it is used for 90 or more consecutive days. Fee is ~$90 for 3 years.

Register and title a recreational vehicle (snowmobile, boat, moped or ATV) | New York State DMV
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 08:46   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
I would go with the FL registration for several reasons. Florida is much more agressive in checking registrations and enforcing the 90 day rule, We do the north south rutine with a FL registration and have not had a problem. Finnaly our 30 yr old boat only costs $17 for a 2 year registration in FL. We have the sticker on the mast but no numbers because we are also documented
This...totally this!!!

You'll save yourself a lotta aggravation with authorities..when in FL you'll sleep better and when not in florida you're "a Florida resident/FL registered vessel" if not also USCG documented vessel...leave the explaining at that.

Just keep your mail and or mail forwarding straight, FWC (Florida Water Cops) don't simply cite you paper citations, often/lotta times they'll be passive aggressive & send you citations via registered mail to the address of your FL registration, this why FL mandates you register your USCG documented vessel if you're in florida past 90 days so they have a simpler local address to send you those citations, most common is the "failure to have 2 mile anchor lite at nite" $72 ticket you get 30 days from issue to pay...can't tell you how many people over the years have had drivers license suspensions/warrants for arrest from not paying those tickets.
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 09:11   #11

I guess my Striker 37 is a Antique and all original..I wonder why the DMV didnt tell me i could reg it as one.Ill call monday and find out for sure.
Old 27-02-2016, 09:20   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Fl law requires registration and there is substantial enforcement. NY is much less likely to catch you if you overstay their time limit. Their boating season is short. If you pay NY sales tax and do not register there Fla will hit you anyway. You can only avoid sales tax in Florida by showing the boat was domiciled elsewhere.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:30   #13

I just renewed my 1984 35 ft. Trawler for 2 years for $7.50, here in Florida.

One other point about Florida is that some counties surcharge the state registration fee.

Hendry and Brevard don't.

The antique rule reads " Original TYPE of propulsion " not original propulsion.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 19:25   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Why not just get USCG documentation? Pay sales tax where it is the cheapest or where you are keeping the boat the most but do not get the state registration numbers - that is what we did
In FL, as in most other states I know, doesn't matter if the boat is USCG documented, they still force you to pay the state registration. No numbers on the boat but you have to buy the sticker. Of course if you don't you will probably not be noticed but it's only $100 or so.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 05:17   #15

Haven't they implemented a fee for documenting and renewing documentation on boats now ?

I let my documentation lapse, since my boats 30th birthday.

A related story. Two years ago, an unregistered boat from Texas, who does not require registration when documented, was inspected by the FWC Police, a few days after entering Boot Key harbor.

Of course, they strongly argued with them, didn't comply and received a ticket.

It must by registered somewhere, to be used in FL. After 90 days it needs be FL registred.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, registration