Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 15:10   #61

Boat: olsen / ericson 34
Re: Borrowing Stuff Without Permission

Fist of all....

To borrow stuff without permission is bloody well stealing.....

Some one mentioned also, secure the dink to the dock with a proper cleat hitch. It is not going anywhere on its own.

We , in addition to securing the dink paintr, we also use a pad lock and cable wire that also secures to the engine. ( many places the dinks all look the same, and it is possible for someone to stumble out of the dock side bar, and get in the wrong dink )

Also, I can take the shut down cord with me.

If it was a dock side bar situation, and I had not followed my own advice, and some lubber released my dock line to get his on or off the dock cleat, and did not properly secure it. My dink is floating away ...

1. Loudly announce to the rumming merry makers at the dock side bar that MY DINK IS ADRIFT..... FREE DRINK OR DRINKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP.

2. If a strong swimmer, and no strong currents, into the water and swim and retrieve. But, that also means ...will you be able to climb into the dink.

But, for the overall subject of just , ah eer, " borrowing " someones property of any kind without first asking, is not acceptable to us.

The answer to BORROWING "STUFF " WITHOUT PERMISSION, is a flat NO.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 15:11   #62

Never "borrow" someone else's dinghy when you could instead borrow someone's yacht.

There typically could be drinks to be had on board the yacht, where as I seldom find cold ones on board anyone's dinghy, at least not yet anyway, still looking.

And when you return the yacht after having recovered your wayward dink, be sure to offer the owner a choice of drinks from their bar, good way to start up a conversation.

But if you have to settle for borrowing a dinghy, be sure to borrow the best and only the best, that way when you return with your comparatively ugly duck dink, the owner may have empathy for you.

Suggest dropping the anchor when tying up your dinghy in case someone unties it that way it will not drift far from the dock.

Hmmm, does the adage: Borrower's keepers, looser's weepers, apply?
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 15:13   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Reminds me of a something that came up in "the greatest generation". In a speech, someone posed the question "if your neighbor's house was burning, would you let them borrow your hose?" (hint: it wasn't Chamberlain.) In such a situation I would be happy to have my neighbor borrow my hose - without even asking. I would also be happy if my unlocked dinghy had enabled the rescue of one adrift, or been used to retrieve a wayward beach ball, or child, or MOB. As mariners, we are responsible for providing assistance to fellow mariners in need. If equipment we happen to own happens to be available to provide assistance -shouldn't it be able to provide assistance, even in our absence?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 15:28   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Oh man, Stereotype much, I mean just because I'm American, and just because I have a gun collection, and just because I have a Concealed Carry permit, and just because the rest of the world is afraid of guns, doesn't mean...……. Aww wait never mind, Go for it, keeps the foreign tourists jittery and in line

Check them on the dock, just like in some Southern states that have gun checks in restaurants as opposed to a coat check.

Of course there are dinghy pirates, that's why we need Guns

For a long rifle go for an AK, loose tolerances, easy to clean, and it looks "scary" at least that's what I've been told

What kind of dinghy do you have? Got pictures?

Definitely best post of the week. I just about spit out my coffee when I read that.

Well, first name the eating establishment with a gun check, cause I’m not believing that.

Second dinghy is just a 10’6’ AB AL, list price $6,300, then add a Suzuki 20 HP list $3,900, chaps, anchor, vests etc, and your way over $10K now that I look at it, of course you can do better than list, so a little under $10K
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 15:37   #65
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I was doing the borrowing, I would rummage for a fine bottle of single malt as a "thank you"
My dinghy is available for you to borrow anywhere anytime... however this is not to be construed as formal permission to borrow so your "thank you" contribution remains in force.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 16:37   #66

Boat: Etap 37 S

Umm -where are you folk all cruising where a drifting dinghy which is still in sight constitutes some kind of emergency? Mostly I sail in the ocean, where there is no waterfall downstream that the dinghy is about to be washed over. So I kind of lean towards the view that a drifting dinghy is going to keep floating, so there is probably time to go find someone to help retrieve it. (And if the dinghy isn't going to stay afloat long enough to be retrieved, then I probably don't want it back).

Aside from that, I think that borrowing a dinghy without asking is somewhat location and situation dependent. If I was in a cruising anchorage with a dozen or so boats, I'd expect that I would be meeting most of the other folk there anyway - so I'd be much more likely to borrow / be happy for someone else to borrow. If I was somewhere with a lot more folks, and no way of knowing whether the owner of the dinghy was likely to be a fellow cruiser, I would be way more hesitant.
ie if I thought the dinghy owner was someone like me, I'd borrow. If I thought the borrower was someone like me, I'd be happy for them to borrow. In a remote anchorage, I assume that everyone there is likely to be a kindred spirit. In a city environment, not so much.

Another analogy - on the small town farm where I grew up, everyone left the keys in the ignition of their vehicles. Cars might be needed to be moved to allow stock to pass, farm equipment to pass, in the event of fire etc. In the city where I now live, there is no way I'd do this!

Mike
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 16:46   #67

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

[QUOTE=Jim Cate. The worst that would happen (in the USA) is that you would be riddled with bullet holes...

Jim[/QUOTE]

No other countries have guns , of course., therefore only knives , and axes are allowed are allowed. Therefore when you return dingy you will be beheaded instead of shot.
Hope that’s working out for ya.
Old 01-11-2018, 16:46   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Borrowing Stuff Without Permission

I lived in Ozark Al in 2003, no one locked anything, I don’t remember even having keys to the house, right after we moved in we came home and there was a pie in the fridge, and ice cream in the freezer, neighbor came over to welcome us to the neighborhood, we weren’t home so they let themselves in and put the pie and ice cream in the fridge.

Then a week or so later, it was raining hard when we got home and there were packages in the hall. UPS man wasn’t going to leave them in the rain, so he opened the door and put them inside.

Before we got our furniture delivered, the Manager of Walmart told us to come in the back door any time we wanted and keep our food in their fridge and freezers, just come in and out of the back door any time you wanted.

Before the Wife and kids arrived, the pool quit, I traced it pretty quick to the GFI breaker, so went into town to the electricians to buy one, showed him the breaker and he went in the back and brought one out. I asked how much, he said I don’t know, we are closed and the lady that does the bookkeeping isn’t here, just come by sometime next week and pay for it. Didn’t ask my name or anything, but knew I’d come back to pay.

Joke was your entering Alabama, set your watch back 100 hrs, but I truly miss Ozark Alabama.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 17:36   #69

If the captain of a ship had to commandeer an unattended tug to save his company from financial losses (and did no damage to either), would he be a hero or a thief?
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 17:52   #70

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

It’s disingenuous to conflate this with retrieving a mob, child adrift, or a house on fire. Those are real emergencies with real (or possible) life-threatening situations. Of course you take whatever is there in order to give assistance, and worry about it later.

If my dinghy had gone awol (I seem to remember from the Butt & Oyster at Pin Mill one night), it wouldn’t even occur to me to use someone else’s dinghy. I’d be calling out for help, sure, and might run around seeing if I could find someone with a boat. But never take it cold. I’ve never seen a dinghy locked up, except where there are river moorings by a public hard and people leave their dinghies there for weeks until they next need to get to their boat I suppose.

Yes I’d be a bit miffed if someone took my dinghy for a non-emergency like that. I’d like to think I would be in a good enough mood not to make a big deal of it. I would certainly never do it myself.

I’m used to the scenario (on land) where you never ask to borrow a tradesman’s tools — they are his livelihood. But here in New Zealand I’m shocked at how often tradesmen borrow mine (sometimes without asking, sometimes without returning them). I guess it depends on what you’re used to.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 18:02   #71

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Absolutely wrong to use someone's tender.

You find help and ask around shore explaining that your tender is drifting.
Actually, you need to beg another boater to allow you to pay them to take you out and retrieve your tender since you screwed up. Same as paying a tow truck for a jump when you leave your lights on in your car.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 18:08   #72

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Sometimes we don’t appreciate what we have and this thread gave me pause to be thankful.

Neighbors have borrowed my dink. And gone aboard and borrowed tools. And taken beer out of the fridge. And I’ve done the same. Nobody thinks much of it that’s just what we do. Don’t get me wrong there are boaters who know intuitively that they aren’t allowed to join this club of trust. But for the most part things in this whole region are pretty lax.

The level of trust among local boaters is, I will say, far exceeded by the machine gun enthusiast at the bi annual machine gun shoot in Knob Creek KY. I routine observe dealers alllowing Joe Nobody to walk off with a $1000 part to verify it with their buddy. In April at this event I bought a Vickers MG that was missing a part. The seller said he had it at home and would go get it...till I found out it was an 8 hour round trip. I told him to ship it to me and trusted he’d do so with this expensive part. And he did. Some people might not like guns, but by and large the community is one of trust.

Too bad we can’t all enjoy the trust I do with my friends and neighbors. Thanks for the reminder.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 18:11   #73

To people who live on a boat, dinghies are not an option, if you had to 'borrow' mine so you could save yours, I'd be ok with that.

/there like golf carts in retirement villages for the landlubbers
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 18:35   #74

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
How the hell did this get into riddled with bullet holes in the US. Maybe only if you were stealing something a thief had dibs on. Seems it was way to much drift. If you don't like US law move here become a citizen and register to vote.
OK, I'm guilty of not identifying a joke with some silly symbol... mea culpa and all that. I thought the humor was obvious, but apparently either it wasn't or some folks just have an urge to bitch about others posts.

And fwiw, Mr Cadence, I've been voting for a long time, and because we've been cruising in foreign waters for a long time, I imagine that I've gone to a hell of a lot more effort to do so than you have... ex-pat voting is a PITA for us, but we do it.

And why did I think the bullet hole thing was appropriate? Well, we've had more than a few posts on CF where folks advocated use of firearms to protect property. I've disagreed, as have others, but the gun wavers have been pretty sure that shooting, or threatening to shoot an intruder or someone making off with their dink was quite all right.

For the record: I do not think any violent act to prevent someone from using your dinghy without permission is OK at all.

Jim
Old 01-11-2018, 20:23   #75

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For an international type cruiser, their dinghy is their pickup truck, or ute (depending on where you're from.) It carries everything (from hardware, people, groceries, laundry, prepackaged beverages to crutches, and more) to and from the boat, and may be used also, for exploring. Its drifting away is actually rather unlikely, although we've rescued a few walkabout dinghies for other folks. One of those I remember in particular, because the guy didn't believe in using cleat hitches.

But the loss of one's dink, though of course less than that of a MOB or child, would be a big deal, especially to a low bucks cruiser. If one routinely anchors out, one has to find somewhere to have the land/sea interface. The local marinas may be full. There are times to seek permission and times to hope for forgiveness, too. We've also had our dinghy borrowed (drunk fishermen), and then set adrift. Rode back to our marina with our friends and then searched down wind in the marina, did find it. Never even complained.

It is in the case where you don't know where the owners are or know any of them personally already which you might borrow a dinghy without permission.. If you know the dinghy's people, you'll have a sense whether or not you can borrow it without permission. Many places it is obviously okay. Like the wife mentioned above, I'd prefer to be asked, but I would rather another bona fide cruiser would use my/our dinghy without permission than lose their dinghy.

Heavily subscribed dinghy docks are really bad. People do untie one's own and fail to tie it up right. And if you lock yours over their line, so they can't get out, expect your cable to be cut, and rightly so. You can't really expect other people to wait till you get back, you could be gone overnight. It is not that you might risk a poor reception, a careful explanation and a libation should make it right, as Dockhead suggested, and possibly, even make a new friend.

Ann

PS, I'm sure that now that he has seen your offer, Wotname, Dockhead will be delighted to comply, virtually, at any rate. ;-)