Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 12:40   #16

Re: British, Buying in Florida

I know when we bought our boat from a Guy in California he had to de-flag the boat.

Looks like Florida reg might be the way for ward for you... Hurricanes don't bother you? LOL!
Needosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 13:09   #17

Yeah my Girlfriend is based in Florida so where i plan to buy/keep it sounds like the best bet
Fishbowl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 13:39   #18

Good luck FB, looks like it might work out. E
Needosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 18:08   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbowl00 View Post
. . . Florida registration does not require USCG documentation or U.S. citizenship, and Florida doesn't care where you live. All they care about is the money. Even USCG documented boats are subject to Florida tax/registration fees if they are kept in state waters."

I think my best bet is to contact a Broker in Florida but im still offshore Mexico at the moment and was hoping to do some home work before i get back on land
All very true. You can register and title the boat in Florida without much difficulty. And you can use the boat however you please in US Waters or Bahamas. Going a little further might be questionable since you are UK and the boat is State of Florida.
- - But the biggie is your immigration status. Flying into the USA you are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program. But that program is only available to travel on approved airlines/ships/ferries operating on a scheduled basis.
- - You will need a multi-entry B1/B2 visa to bring the boat back to US waters (Florida) after leaving US waters. If you already have a valid B1/B2 in your UK passport, no big deal - if not, you will need to get one, most probably back in the U.K.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, florida