Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 18:21   #1

British, Buying in Florida

Hi all ,

Been looking through the threads and can only find a little information regarding this.

Im a UK citizen that would like to purchase a sailing boat here in Florida.
Im an offshore navigator so am only actually in the USA for 5 weeks before i leave to go back offshore. So theres no issue with Visa's as every time i return its just for a vacation.

But im unsure about the process and the red tape for a no US citizen purchasing and keeping a yacht in florida. Has anyone done this or have any infor on this matter. Id be very great full for any info.

Thanks
Fishbowl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 18:33   #2

Re: British buying in Florida

Jus my opinion but i would think aslong as the marina has ur contact info and ur dues are paid like they are suppose to be i wouldnt think citizenship would really matter but i dont know for sure
Old 20-10-2011, 18:35   #3

Yeah i didnt think mooring it would be an issue but dont suppose you know is purchasing a US flag vessel as a Uk citizen would be an issue?
Old 20-10-2011, 18:45   #4

I dunno for sure u might jus wanna call a local broker and ask some questions but aslong as u have the proper paperwork and registration for it i dont see y it would matter where ur a citizen at..
Old 20-10-2011, 18:47   #5

Cool Thanks Jimbo. When i get back on land end of november ill be sure to call a local broker about it thanks.
Old 20-10-2011, 19:06   #6

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Hi Fishbow, welcome to the forum.

There is no problem with a Brit buying in Florida, I did it earlier this year and the boat is presently on the hard in the Keys. I have a US address in Texas and I simply paid for the boat, did the title transfer, paid the sales taxes, and paid the registration fee. Couldn't have been simpler.

Mine is a British built boat that was first registered in Belgium, and I was lucky enough to also get the original TVA (VAT) receipt, so I'll not need to pay that when I take her to Europe.

Good deals on the US side of the Atlantic!
Old 20-10-2011, 19:10   #7

Hi Pillum,

Thanks for the info. I figured it was straightforward enough but wanted to try and get some research done before i hit land again end of November.
There certainly does look like a fare good deals to be have this side of the pond at the moment so want to be able to jump on it when im back from Mexico.

More concerned with finding the right Marina on the space coast before making a purchase. Thanks again
Old 20-10-2011, 19:21   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

It was years ago but I used to be a yacht broker in Florida and it was not a problem at all to sell a US flagged vessel to a citizen of any country. You will of course have to deal with the regulations of the country where you will flag the vessel.

You should also be aware of the tax laws of the state of Florida which are similar in most other US states. If you purchase a boat in Florida, new or used you will have to pay a 6% sales tax on the boat unless you remove it from the state within 90 days. If the boat is in a boat yard for repairs you can get an extension on the deadline. I am not certain but I think this tax will apply even to non US citizens.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 21:05   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Just remember if you are bringing the boat into the EU youll have VAT to pay and have to bring the boat up to CE standards. There's a reason you don't see many US origin boats in the EU.

Dave
Old 01-11-2011, 10:37   #10

Re: British Buying in Florida

The boat would have to leave the states once a year and reapply for a 0ne year cruising permit upon re-entry.
Needosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:00   #11

Re: British, Buying in Florida

Even if it was a US flagged vessel. I was under the impression you only needed a yearly permit for foregin vessels i was going to by a US registered vessel
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21   #12

Only US Citizens can skipper a US boat.... other wise you are correct. Not sure of the penalties..

Kind regards Ed
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needosh View Post
Only US Citizens can skipper a US boat.... other wise you are correct. Not sure of the penalties..

Kind regards Ed

They changed that law a while ago.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:34   #14

It might be worth looking into the difference between state and federally registered vessels. I believe it is still in force for the federally registered ones...

Mind you, I have been wrong before!! (Married twice for instance!!)lol
Old 01-11-2011, 12:36   #15

I found this on a different post "USCG documentation requires U.S. citizenship. Even if the owner is a corporation, the CEO/majority stockholders must be U.S. citizens. But USCG documentation is not necessary. If the purchased vessel has previously been documented, the certificate should be surrendered as part of the purchase transaction. But there is no requirement that the vessel be USCG documented by the new owner. This only becomes a problem when the certificate is not surrendered and the new non-U.S. citizen owner fails to register/document the vessel in a state or foreign country.

Florida registration does not require USCG documentation or U.S. citizenship, and Florida doesn't care where you live. All they care about is the money. Even USCG documented boats are subject to Florida tax/registration fees if they are kept in state waters."

I think my best bet is to contact a Broker in Florida but im still offshore Mexico at the moment and was hoping to do some home work before i get back on land

Tags
buying, florida