Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2020, 19:27   #1

Buying a us flagged boat in Florida as U.K. Citizen

I am looking to purchase a boat registered in Florida, the boat is lying in Mexico but registered in florida, I have read different views if a U.K. Citizen can own a Florida registered boat. Changing the flag to the U.K. Is not really an option as it would need a survey from a U.K. Approved company, there are none that I know of in Mexico. So my question is can I own a Florida registered boat as a U.K. Citizen and cruise to central and South America, or will I have problems. Thanks for you time and answers
War1195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 09:48   #2

Re: Buying a us flagged boat in Florida as U.K. Citizen

I'm not an expert, especially about U.K. issues, but you haven't gotten any replies so I'll tell you what I think I know. I'm a Canadian resident researching a similar question.

A U.K. citizen can own a boat registered in Florida. But what is your plan to transfer the title to you from the current owner?
RBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 10:27   #3

Re: Buying a us flagged boat in Florida as U.K. Citizen

-I had to have a Florida address to register one in Florida. Luckily I had a friend there. But you have to pay sales tax after 90 days.
-Also, to register a boat in Washington it had to be located in Washington I found. Of course, I didn't have to tell them it wasn't. Not sure how many states are like that.
-I transferred title and registered it in Florida for boat that was located in the Carribean. Had it done by a transfer agent in Florida.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, florida