Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32   #16
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
I would call the NJ ...DMV if I were you they are not the nightmare they used to be.

.There are actually 2 licenses, one is a tidal water license which is a seperate license from your driver's license. (The one you will need )

The other is a fresh water license that is indicated on a NJ motor vehicle license as an endorsement.

Same class gets both...Don't shoot the messenger........Welcome to NJ.....
Yeah, some locations are now almost even borderline pleasant. Although, from the posts in here and what I've heard from the previous owners, the same can't be said for FL DMV.

I already have the boating certificate, got it in the spring at Point Pleasant FD. About 6 hours total and the exam was a joke. No wonder so many divers complain about idiots with small power boats and PWCs using dive flags as slalom poles.

Actually according the NJSP website and my visit to DMV in the spring there is no such thing as a boat license. All they do now is give an endorsement on your drivers license. Unless you are considering the certificate its self to be the second license?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:12   #17

The DMV on Hooper Ave. in Toms River was very pleasurable to deal with. I was dreading my visit and my wife & I could not believe it...Had all the paperwork done, paid my tax, registration was completed and out of there in 18 minutes!! Where do you plan on keeping the boat?
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 17:30   #18

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Actually according the NJSP website and my visit to DMV in the spring there is no such thing as a boat license. All they do now is give an endorsement on your drivers license. Unless you are considering the certificate its self to be the second license?
Hi Grunzster,

No, that should not be the case. The certificate you received from your class should only be your temporary license. The course provider should have sent your information to the State Police and they will issue you a permanent card. If you haven't been sent one there may be a problem.
That card is for Tidal Waters. Then you take that card to DMV and ask them to put an endorsement on your license and that endorsement is your freshwater license.

I will be at State Police Headquarters Thursday. If you want to PM me your information, I can check the database and see where your card is.

Anyway it's good that you've gotten that done.
Old 03-02-2009, 17:41   #19

Hi Grunzster,

Is the certificate you were given a 5 x 6 piece of paper ...titled

" Application for a Boating Safety Certificate" ?

If so, it should have the name of the Agency...Course administrator
The name of the administrator and the name of the instructor on it....and the date of the class....

Regards,
Tempest..
Old 04-02-2009, 05:04   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Hi Grunzster,

No, that should not be the case. The certificate you received from your class should only be your temporary license. The course provider should have sent your information to the State Police and they will issue you a permanent card. If you haven't been sent one there may be a problem.
That card is for Tidal Waters. Then you take that card to DMV and ask them to put an endorsement on your license and that endorsement is your freshwater license.

I will be at State Police Headquarters Thursday. If you want to PM me your information, I can check the database and see where your card is.

Anyway it's good that you've gotten that done.
Sounds like a case of semantics...and/or inaccurate info on both websites?

I do have a card. In fact they were very fast in sending my one with my updated address just last week.

But the card says "Boating Safety Certificate" not "license". And nothing on the card it's self, the DMV web site, or the NJSP site that specifically says the card is for tidal waters. Pretty much just says it's a certificate proving that you took the course and required by DMV to get your license.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:07   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.D. View Post
The DMV on Hooper Ave. in Toms River was very pleasurable to deal with. I was dreading my visit and my wife & I could not believe it...Had all the paperwork done, paid my tax, registration was completed and out of there in 18 minutes!! Where do you plan on keeping the boat?
Randolph is really good too. When I went there in the spring, I think I spent more time just filling out the forms, than I did waiting in line and for them to process everything combined.

Very likely going to be in Highlands.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:12   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I purchased my inflatable in what they call in NJ an "enterprise zone"...only 3% sales tax... When I went to DMV to register it...they nailed me for the other 3% ( tax was 6% then)

"Sir.. Boats don't qualify for the " enterprise zone" reduction".

We do have good Pizza though..
I believe we're also one of only 2 places in the entire world where you have to pay to get on a beach.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:50   #23

Hi Grunzster,

So, the white card that you have that says " Boating Safety Certificate" is your
" Tidal waters" License. When it's time to renew your Drivers License you present that card to DMV and they will add an endorsement to your license, which will serve as your " fresh water" license. If your license it not up for renewal and you want to have the endorsement put on, sooner, you just pay the replacement fee and they'll add it. If you're not driving boats on lakes...you might as well wait.

Notice, that there is no expiration date, on the white " tidal water" card.......
if you lose that...you have to call the State Police Marine Services Bureau to replace it. ......

I refuse to pay to get on a beach...If I go it's in the Spring or Fall when it's free...
Where's the other place? ....

Best of Luck with the Boat.
Old 05-02-2009, 17:16   #24
Marine Service Provider

Wish I knew that before I paid to get a new license.

I'm 100% sure, but I think it may have been somewhere in South Africa.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2009, 17:28   #25

Grunzster, FYI..... I was just informed today, that the " Test Out" option in NJ has been extended for another year. For a maximum fee of $25.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:13   #26
Marine Service Provider

Any chance the rules in Florida have recently changed?
Anyone know any good marinas in Georgia that may have a slip available from around first week of March to middle of April?

Florida DMV confirmed that you can get an extension for time the boat is on the hard, but the person at the Martin County tax collection office acted as if I was speaking another language.

I'm waiting for them to call me back, but I'm preparing for the worst.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:39   #27

I have learned a lot from reading all of these posts. Thanks to all of you knowledgeable folks!

Now, for my story....we own a 42 ft cruiser which is currently registered in the Bahamas. It was built in Canada in 1972 and has never been registered in the USA. The 1972 date is important in that the boat was built before hull numbers were required. Due to family circumstances and health issues, we are not able to keep the boat registered in the Bahamas. We are beginning the process of registering the boat in Florida, where it is currently docked.

When we went the Martin County DMV, we were told that we had to have someone inspect the boat since there is no hull number before we could get a Florida title. The folks - from Fish and Game - came and the forms were sent off last week. They were very nice. We were told that, once we receive the forms back, we should contact Martin County (by phone and fax since we live in Kentucky). We are now waiting for the forms. Now for our questions....

1. When we receive these forms, will we have a title? Has anyone gone through this process? We couldn't get a definitive answer as to what our next step will be and are a bit nervous. We know that we will owe some money to Florida and are prepared for that.
2. Should we register the boat with the Coast Guard? I would appreciate the pros and cons (if any) of doing this process.
3. Does Florida have a boating safety certificate requirement?

Hopefully I have included enough information in this post. If not, send the questions and I will do my best. Thanks in advance.

Doug and Kris
dkatwdsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 13:00   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
1. When we receive these forms, will we have a title? Has anyone gone through this process? We couldn't get a definitive answer as to what our next step will be and are a bit nervous. We know that we will owe some money to Florida and are prepared for that.
Yup. When you have the title it's time to pay the taxes. That would be the phone call.

Quote:
2. Should we register the boat with the Coast Guard? I would appreciate the pros and cons (if any) of doing this process.
The pros are it helps with title issues and identification. For any place nearby you would be fine with a FL title. USCG Title process is more difficult and your new FL title would not be wholly the only thing to produce. For titles the USCG is the better place to do it if the boat meets the requirements of size. You should easily. On balance I wouldn't do it if you expect to hang around FL or even go to the Bahamas.

Quote:
3. Does Florida have a boating safety certificate requirement?
Yes, you can get in on line by taking an on line course and passing an on line test. It's then a small fee and you get a card mailed to you. You key in the state and they do the rest. It's pretty basic stuff and it is mostly all about knowing how not to get yourself and others killed. 42 states now require it but there may be a window based on age when you have to have it by. I think I'm forced to get this year or next.

Here is the link to the web site:

Florida Boating Safety Course and Exam - Official Boating License and Boater Safety Course
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:39   #29

Smile Thanks

Thanks for your quick response. We will let you know when we get the title in the mail. Doug took a safe boating course here in Kentucky and the insurance company accepts that one. We will have to see if Florida will accept it as well. If not, he can just take the one you gave us the link to. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 07-05-2009, 14:42   #30

Well, my saga begins. I received my letter from Tallahassee today and it wasn't a title. They have sent me a TL-07 procedure - Procedures for alternate proof of ownership - that I must process. It is multiple pages and confusing. The main problem that I have is that the cover letter doesn't tell me WHY they have refused my title request. I will call their office on Monday morning and see what I can determine. I find it very interesting that I am trying to do the right thing here by registering my boat and am not sure that the powers-to-be know how I can do that. Will keep you posted.

Tags
registration, taxes